Medicinal marijuana

bumofdabeach

It's coming so I'd like to start a thread on the subject. I read today that it will begin april 1st. Other than that there is not a lot of information available as it's only 1 day old news. I also read a prescription or certificate will be required but no info on how to obtain either. No info if farang will be eligible or not.

Please try to have verifiable info before posting on here.

Sent from my SM-J250F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Personally I'll wait till after the election to see how all this plays out. IMHO doctors prescribing MM to foreigners will severely restricted if occurring at all. 
I would tend to agree however it was mentioned more than once that Thailand is a medical destination for foreigners

Foreign prescriptions have no validity in Thailand. You will need a prescription form a doctor here and while the details are nto yet out I will be very, very surprised if it is not made hospital only,  and put in the same control class as codeine, morphine etc.

If so one would have to get it from a  hospital pharmacy after consultation with a doctor there. While a foreign prescription is not valid here, being able to show one may  help in getting a Thai doctor to prescribe.

I doubt there will be a registered product in the market by April, there are too many steps involved in that plus some scrimmaging taking place between foreign and domestic companies.  What will be in place is its reclassification form a class 5 narcotic (all together illegal) to a class II narcotic (legal for medical use but subject to controls). There still have to be specific products approved and registered with the FDA for dale in Thiland and that takes time.

Whatever emerges it will not vary by nationality of the patient.

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Foreign prescriptions have no validity in Thailand. You will need a prescription form a doctor here and while the details are nto yet out I will be very, very surprised if it is not made hospital only,  and put in the same control class as codeine, morphine etc.

If so one would have to get it from a  hospital pharmacy after consultation with a doctor there. While a foreign prescription is not valid here, being able to show one may  help in getting a Thai doctor to prescribe.

I doubt there will be a registered product in the market by April, there are too many steps involved in that plus some scrimmaging taking place between foreign and domestic companies.  What will be in place is its reclassification form a class 5 narcotic (all together illegal) to a class II narcotic (legal for medical use but subject to controls). There still have to be specific products approved and registered with the FDA for dale in Thiland and that takes time.

So Taco Bell wont be very useful for a few more months then.

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This above ^^^^

Unless they decriminalize it for recreational use (and that will not happen), it will be very hard to get.

A lot of hoopla over this by the potheads that think joints are going to be raining down like manna from the above, but in reality, no, I think that is not going to happen.

Going to be most likely Hospital only - not just off to see a local doctor and to a dispensary on Loh Kroh ... 

It will take a long time before Thailand will legalize it as a recreational drug. Besides, even in places where marijuana is legalized in America, scientists get the worst sort of weed to actually do tests on. Who knows whether medical marijuana would be useful in Thailand, and if it does roll out in specific hospitals, it would probably be really expensive.

"Legal" for foreigners may take a while, but once it is legal to cultivate and transport in any way it will become very difficult to control. The "traditional medicine" clause means it won't be restricted to hospitals, and certainly, plenty of Thais would be willing to sell "medicine" they receive legally. My guess is that as soon as the door is open even a little bit the government will move quickly to legalize and tax what will otherwise become a hyper crazy black market. It took California more than a decade to figure that out, and they missed the tax opportunity on billions of dollars in black market weed. Party on Garth.

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Basically it will be like all palliative medicine in Thailand.  Difficult to impossible to get a prescription because although palliative medications will be legal, i.e., morphine, marijuana derivatives, Thai doctors will be loath to prescribe them as the Thai mindset, even with so-called secular professionals such as Thai doctors, that if you're suffering it's because of your Karma and you're suppose to suffer.  Thailand, where you hear of doctors sending patients with cancer home with a bottle of paracetamol for the pain.  The profession as well as the doctors are compassionless.  So medical marijuana will be as widely touted as it is widely inaccessible to most.  If suffering is your lot by birth, why should the Thai medical profession help out?  If you truly have a medical condition that requires palliative care, returning back to the West is about the only viable option. 
I've no doubt that the legalization loosening of restriction for marijuana is essentially being driven by greed and profit motives - not compassion.  Individuals in the Thai community who are seeing the potential profits being reaped in countries which allow medical marijuana or legalized marijuana simply saw an opportunity to jump on the gravy-train.  They thought they could corner the market in Thailand with cannabis-based derivative without THC, but then woke up to the fact that they have been beat to the patents by foreign entities.   I seriously doubt they will allow the ingestion of whole-plant products like they do in other countries who have made medical marijuana legal.  So imho, after all the fanfare is over, so will the promise of access to medical grade marijuana.  It's simply a promise that will eventually go up in smoke. 

So, let me get this straight, It's legal to buy a pack of Marlboro cigarettes, Medical marijuana will be legal on April Fools day, but if you try to vape (By far the healthiest of the vices) your going to prison? Yeah, I see the logic now... I just want to thank the government for protecting me from myself.

Well I take what I read on this website with a grain of salt seriously because you can only believe maybe half of what you read on this site most of the time if that.  

Although by 1 April that'd be interesting right before Songkran.  I'll be sitting in the back of the truck with the family during Songkran with the water guns just passing one around lol ????.  It'll make the ice cold water feel warmer at least lol.  Seriously though I've never tried it but I might be a good candidate for medical marihuana for real as a disabled veteran.  But I don't know I've heard good and bad things about it, I've also heard that it causes paranoi so I don't know I'd probably have to try it first under the supervision of a doctor.  

I did request fact based input when I initially posted this. IMHO is not fact based lol or skepticism about doctors or the government. Please we have 3 months of fact finding research to do. I've been a medical marijuana patient for 10 years now but since moving here and it's not available or legal I've had one surgery done and a second one will be required sooner or later. And no I don't want to go back to my very unstable country at this time. For now I do Cambodia for my border runs and hang out for a week or so but will not attempt to bring any back with me. Patiently waiting to be a patient here

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Thank you Sheryl.

l live in Thailand and on morphine from the Pain Clinic at the local hospital.

As soon as as I know anything about M M I post on the forum here and Inform Sheryl.

But it is still a waiting game as to when and it would a good idea not to speculate.

22 hours ago, bumofdabeach said:

I'm hoping they will recognize prescriptions from other countries. I've got mine from Cali but it's expired

Foreign prescriptions for any other medicine that requires a prescription in Thailand are unacceptable so I doubt they'd get you anywhere with medical marijuana. 

Some restricted drugs are only (at least legitimately) available when prescribed and dispensed from a hospital. Pretty sure most of the major hospitals will keep an eye on what's being dispensed and by whom even assuming they elect to provide it at all.

Hopefully "patients" who self prescribe their need for MM before the doctor reaches that conclusion will be show the door.

there are some of us that will be glad for another form for pain relief,

as Thailand has there head so far up concerning pain relief medication, god forbid it is any thing stronger than a paracetamol tablet, the world will end.

when i had a DVT in the U.S. they gave me a morphine shot for pain, it lasted 20minutes. nurse spoke to doctor and prescribed de-lauded(not available in Thailand) in an iv push, what a difference in pain management.

2 hours ago, connda said:

Basically it will be like all palliative medicine in Thailand.  Difficult to impossible to get a prescription because although palliative medications will be legal, i.e., morphine, marijuana derivatives, Thai doctors will be loath to prescribe them as the Thai mindset, even with so-called secular professionals such as Thai doctors, that if you're suffering it's because of your Karma and you're suppose to suffer.  Thailand, where you hear of doctors sending patients with cancer home with a bottle of paracetamol for the pain.  The profession as well as the doctors are compassionless.  So medical marijuana will be as widely touted as it is widely inaccessible to most.  If suffering is your lot by birth, why should the Thai medical profession help out?  If you truly have a medical condition that requires palliative care, returning back to the West is about the only viable option. 
I've no doubt that the legalization loosening of restriction for marijuana is essentially being driven by greed and profit motives - not compassion.  Individuals in the Thai community who are seeing the potential profits being reaped in countries which allow medical marijuana or legalized marijuana simply saw an opportunity to jump on the gravy-train.  They thought they could corner the market in Thailand with cannabis-based derivative without THC, but then woke up to the fact that they have been beat to the patents by foreign entities.   I seriously doubt they will allow the ingestion of whole-plant products like they do in other countries who have made medical marijuana legal.  So imho, after all the fanfare is over, so will the promise of access to medical grade marijuana.  It's simply a promise that will eventually go up in smoke. 

WOW...talk about blowing smoke out your ass.

2 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

I've also heard that it causes paranoi so I don't know I'd probably have to try it first under the supervision of a doctor.  

If you read some posts here, you could say the Thai Visa causes paranoia and should only be read under a Dr.s Supervision. ????

Light up, Francis ????????????????????

22 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Unless they decriminalize it for recreational use (and that will not happen), it will be very hard to get.

Once the door is opened it will be everywhere

22 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

A lot of hoopla over this by the potheads that think joints are going to be raining down like manna from the above, but in reality, no, I think that is not going to happen.

Damn, and I was just putting on my loincloth to go stand outside, arms raised, gazing at the sky. What a visual!

I would imagine it will be similar to other, more heavily-controlled medicinal substances in Thailand such as anti-anxiety drugs like Xanax, or ADHD drugs like Ritalin. You are only legally able to get them from government-approved hospitals with a diagnosis and prescription. 

I don't see any reason why it would be different to foreigners or Thais in this case. Once it becomes a business, I would also doubt it will be too difficult to obtain a prescription if you have a legitimate reason. 

The global police state network is making it as difficult as possible for everyone. Remember, with the election coming soon, all sorts of government propaganda about everything is being put out there. The wealthy can use any substance they want with impunity. The poor, the working class, and most "farangs", will still be persecuted for cannabis anytime the police state network decides to "stick it to them". That's just the way it is. 

FB_IMG_1545257300508.jpg

I'm sure that the people who control the drug trade in Thailand are of two minds.  Get Marijuana passed as legal to buy with an eye on the lucrative Farang market, or not willing to pay large amounts of tax on it and are fighting now to have it struck down.  The so called Government of Thailand will have no say in the matter except what they are being told to say.  Party on Garth.  

On 12/26/2018 at 6:27 AM, Sheryl said:

While a foreign prescription is not valid here, being able to show one may  help in getting a Thai doctor to prescribe.

On 12/26/2018 at 6:57 AM, totally thaied up said:

...it will be very hard to get.

Going to be most likely Hospital only

On 12/26/2018 at 11:20 AM, Juulhuia73 said:

...if it does roll out in specific hospitals, it would probably be really expensive.

I see enormous value to this possibility, for anyone who uses medical in their home country.

Going to a private hospital to get an RX costs 500 baht (+ maybe 150 "fees"). Seeing a doctor in a gov't hospital costs 50 baht (plus a day of your life).

This is an incredibly small price to pay IF you can actually get an RX. 

Then, you would be immune to random pee tests, and could use your medicine in your home country right up till the day you fly with no worries. 

This is huge for some. I have a dear friend who worries about this very scenario, uses legally in the US for years with an RX, then has to "clean out" for 60 days before each and every time she flies to Thailand.

In that situation, this is a blessing.

IF she can get the RX.

Then, she would at least have the option to procure it at hospital rates, once price is determined. Otherwise she goes back on her other meds. Opens up the option at least.

Readily available with only a wait then at a pharmacy. And gov't pharmacies can be darn cheap.

Once you have the RX in your hand, it's simply a financial decision.

Up to you.

On 12/26/2018 at 4:43 AM, Nyezhov said:

So Taco Bell wont be very useful for a few more months then.

I'm in the states infrequently and visit Taco Bell every couple of years to remind myself why I DON'T go there more often. Perhaps smoking a fatty beforehand would make them as desirable as their commercials make them appear.

5 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

This is huge for some. I have a dear friend who worries about this very scenario, uses legally in the US for years with an RX, then has to "clean out" for 60 days before each and every time she flies to Thailand.

In that situation, this is a blessing.

Yeah I was real paranoid before I got here, and tried to avoid Sukhamvit at night for a few weeks ????

Archived