Pattaya police station is no joke

dennis123

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

That actually is the case. The OP, had he done the same in the UK, would have been fined a far greater sum of money and lost his licence for at least 12 months.

That's if he actually had a licence, which he didn't.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That actually is the case. The OP, had he done the same in the UK, would have been fined a far greater sum of money and lost his licence for at least 12 months. Had the OP had better negotiating skills, he probably would have been able to pay 10k baht at the roadside and be allowed to drive home. Not saying that it's right, it certainly isn't, but for offenders, being in Thailand definitely has it's advantages. 

It's a well known fact that you can literally get away with murder here.....for a price.

In relative terms the penalty in thailand is much harsher.

10K baht roughly 20-30 times average daily thai wage. And a couple of days in the lockup

In Oz, fine is about $1000. Or less than 5 days pay. But you do lose your license - not that most thais have licenses anyway

Do thais get the same fine as farang for drink driving?

1 minute ago, dreaming said:

In relative terms the penalty in thailand is much harsher.

10K baht roughly 20-30 times average daily thai wage

In Oz, fine is about $1000. Or less than 5 days pay. But you do lose your license - not that most thais have licenses anyway

Do thais get the same fine as farang for drink driving?

It appears they do, most paid in excess of 6000 baht at court, I'm not sure what offenses they committed as I can't understand Thai that well but it appeared there was no double pricing going on, purely based on the relatively large amounts (especially for Thai people).

That actually is the case. The OP, had he done the same in the UK, would have been fined a far greater sum of money and lost his licence for at least 12 months. Had the OP had better negotiating skills, he probably would have been able to pay 10k baht at the roadside and be allowed to drive home. Not saying that it's right, it certainly isn't, but for offenders, being in Thailand definitely has it's advantages. 

It's a well known fact that you can literally get away with murder here.....for a price.

The point is that the previous time I bribed my way out for 3500 baht at the police station in East Pattaya, and I knew the fine in court is 5000 so I refused to pay a cent more than that, but as I said earlier, I didn't realize there's a difference between driving a motorbike or a car. Last time when I paid 3500 I was also with my car though so this whole 10k thing looked extortionate to me so I thought they were just bluffing.

At Pattaya East back then the cop just kept on saying, you no pay 20k baht you go to prison, and I kept on saying okay let's go, with no response followed, finally we went outside and once again he said okay now we go prison and I say 'mai mee pan haa' no problem, and outside he asks me again, how much you have? 3500 baht is all I got, I'm waiting for money from Holland to arrive and he took the money and returned my car key. Case closed.

Had I know the fine is 8500 in court I would've had no problem paying 10k.

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

It's a well known fact that you can literally get away with murder here.....for a price

That's why many expats love Thailand so much . But don't worry Big Joke is here. 

I was locked up 2001 in the one bottom soi 9 spent 3 days there until somebody bailed me out for 3000 baht only food & water i got was from the shop downstairs with the money i had in my shorts !!! Everytime the old bill went down i never got any change & half of what i asked for ???? 4th world country !!!

1 hour ago, Silent Tiger said:

I was locked up 2001 in the one bottom soi 9 spent 3 days there until somebody bailed me out for 3000 baht only food & water i got was from the shop downstairs with the money i had in my shorts !!! Everytime the old bill went down i never got any change & half of what i asked for ???? 4th world country !!!

Nothing changed in the last 17 years ???? that's how it still works!

een breathalised twice,railway crossings,one at 11 in morning.   .5 would be equiv of one pint of beer .8.5 two pints well over  Always stick to busy streets if I can,side roads are favourite for stops. Came across traffic stop few months ago in distance,did a u turn,cop or not dressed in black shone his torch in my face blinded me,got hold of arm,but shook him off,cleared off.  Friend fined 20000, and a Thai girl on bike fined the same amount.  Extra careful now

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

What do you intend doing about your lack of a valid driving licence, continue driving uninsured and just pay the 200 baht if you get pulled over? How long have you been driving unlicenced?

None of your damn business. Happy holidays ????

On 12/27/2018 at 3:03 PM, KhunBENQ said:

I have no reason to doubt the report in person from a German mate who was locked up at the station at Friday night.

30k(!) was the bail requested. Fortunately he could call friends to bring the cash, no negotiating tried. Released until Monday. Passport withhold.

On Monday at the court he was fined 20k, bail returned.

30k might be exceptional but that was the number he told.

20k is usual/the rule.

20K is the limit most people can take out on their ATM card in one day, so it seems to be a sensible amount for the cops to demand.

Good write-up, OP.  A weekend as a guest of the BiB.

Since reading it I've been wondering what the experience would have been like in a place where they don't get many foreigners.  My guess is some of the locals who heard about it would come to the cop-shop with their kids to see the farang.  Maybe they would come back with food and water, the way they buy bananas for the elephant; ok, a little to harsh there, as I think Thais, generally, are compassionate people (though it might be easy to forget this in a place like Pattaya ???? ).  On the other hand it would probably have been easier to negotiate "cash & carry justice."

22 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

The O/P wrote about being incarcerated for being a drunk and you said something about what happens if you're a diabetic. Seems my comment connected the two.

So it's just a completely irrelevant post to the topic of the thread. Thanks for wasting our time.

Archived