Pattaya police station is no joke

dennis123

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dennis123 said:

Every car comes with a blue registration book, assuming you bought the car and it's paid off.

You can request a car passport at the Land & Transport office, costs only 30 baht and takes 24-48 hours usually, in some situations they are willing to make an exception, like last time when I realized it last minute that it's only valid for 1 year, and they got it done in a few hours for which I tipped them generously. I think he would've done it without the tip as well though. All the other workers laughed when I tipped him and they gave me a sticker for free ????

Why does the car need a passport ?

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

What happens if, say, you're diabetic

If you're diabetic and hitting the booze heavily you have more to worry about then spending time in the Pattaya jail. 

While moderate amounts of alcohol may cause blood sugar to rise, excess alcohol can actually decrease your blood sugar level -- sometimes causing it to drop into dangerous levels, especially for people with type 1 diabetes.

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/drinking-alcohol

33 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

This is a perfect example why the heat will keep getting turned up on the expat here.

Assuming you're responding to the O/P: You're saying getting arrested for driving drunk is an example of expats having the heat turned up on them?

I would hope they were taken off the streets rather than worrying about some imagined discrimination. 

37 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I do indeed care about my safety on the road, which was why I commented. But I dont care whether others agree with me or not.

But you do care what others think. And that is what is so funny.

You have had to derail Dennis's informative thread on what happens in a thai lockup to voice your opinion on drink driving, which we all condemn.

4 hours ago, Sealbash said:

Or perhaps just take some responsibility and don’t drive drunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have no time or sympathy for anyone who gets drunk in public, driving or not, If they cannot

stay sober, then they deserve all the badness that happens to them.

1 hour ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Awesome thread, thanks Dennis for posting this essential info.

Yep, next time I go on the piss, smoke a spot of weed and pop a pill or two, get in the car to drive home and get arrested I must remember this essential info. LOL

2 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Frightening story and one more reason why I will never drive in Thailand, whether car or motorbike. I've never known of anyone arrested for DUI while on public transportation. Hope the Thais are proud of running their lockups like a World War 2 Japanese prison camp.

Yeah, Thai police cells just like a WW2 Japanese POW camp...your understanding of POW under the Japanese is woeful.

9 minutes ago, grollies said:

Yep, next time I go on the piss, smoke a spot of weed and pop a pill or two, get in the car to drive home and get arrested I must remember this essential info. LOL

Lol, I'm sure people will think twice when they know what's waiting for them in case they get arrested. If the judge doesn't like you for some reason they could also deport you right away. Risky business. Thank god I'm so likeable ????????????

Great report Dennis123....much appreciated, I got stopped earlier this year and blew 0.076 and they were going to lock me up on a Saturday night and court on Monday. Lady friend with me negotiated for 5000 baht, paid and was let go at the stop site. Have been using taxis ever since and recommend others do as well. Been here 10 years and in the early days it was a free for all driving around full of juice. Now I realise what the outcome may be (deportation) its definitely taxis all the way now.

Cheers and happy new year all

22 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Assuming you're responding to the O/P: You're saying getting arrested for driving drunk is an example of expats having the heat turned up on them?

I would hope they were taken off the streets rather than worrying about some imagined discrimination. 

No, that's not what I meant, sorry if I wasn't clear. IMHO flouting the law on so many different fronts and then publicizing it like it was the exploits of 'fear and loathing in Pattaya", just casts the rest of here in a bad light. The Thais stereotype just as well as every other nation. Couldn't give a rats ass what people do in their spare time for enjoyment but if you get in a couple tons of moving metal and are messed up while you do it, then you're an a**hole. And sorry, I don't buy that this is 'good information to know while here in Thailand' bullshit,  for by driving drunk as far as I'm concerned, should earn deportation and blacklisting. I know back in Canada that a past dui will make Americans inadmissible for entry. Westerners are well aware through education the consequences of impaired driving, and we should know better. I hope the guy when he drives loaded again (and they all do) just kills himself and not some innocent person.

2 minutes ago, dennis123 said:

Lol, I'm sure people will think twice when they know what's waiting for them in case they get arrested. If the judge doesn't like you for some reason they could also deport you right away. Risky business. Thank god I'm so likeable ????????????

I think you're a bit of an ass.

About Japanese POW camps, guess it depends how long you're stuck there... I just heard from someone that they sometimes arrest 100 illegally working Cambodians and that there's no room to sit or lie down, only to stand, try that for a week in the scouring heat in April, like a freaking sauna 24/7.

There were more than 140,000 white prisoners in Japanese POW camps. Of these, one in three died from starvation, work, punishments or from diseases for which there were no medicines to treat.

3 hours ago, dennis123 said:

Usually we also drop some diazepam or clonazepam and a few tramadol for extra side effect

I had a very, very close friend die this very year doing the same thing. Went to sleep and choked on his own vomit from (the autopsy report) the tramadol. 

Just be careful. You are sailing too close to the wind. My friend went over the edge and it is easier to do that what you think. Your very lucky you did not get deported. These sorts of drugs and booze, just bad news.

Just use a Taxi. If you would have killed someone instead form a DUI incident, four years or so locked up in similar conditions would not be nice.

33 minutes ago, fak119 said:

I think Thailand could do well without people like "Senior Member dennis123"

Yep. Get rid of the millions of Thais who drink and drive, often off their heads on yaba (they're the ones that you really have to watch), too.

When in Thailand, do as the Thais.

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

And sorry, I don't buy that this is 'good information to know while here in Thailand' bullshit,  for by driving drunk as far as I'm concerned, should earn deportation and blacklisting.

OK. Sorry that I misinterpreted what you said in the previous post.

I agree with you entirely regarding the consequences when caught driving drunk (and a few other behaviors).

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
38 minutes ago, fak119 said:
I think Thailand could do well without people like "Senior Member dennis123"

Also the very negative often sarcastic BMs on here

If the original post makes just one person think twice then its done its job.......i hold my hands up and have on occasion took the bike home when i shouldnt of........i wont be from now on

As for all the "holier than thou" posters.......have a good look in the mirror........we all do foolish things

Archived