another bad day at Don Mueang with Air Asia

zoza

9 hours ago, samsensam said:

yes, easy as that. i breeze through DM every time.

i love completely avoiding those huge queues and ram packed check in areas.

it is a budget airline, surely people know how these companies operate by now?! 

I and my wife are flying to Siem Reap with Air Asia at from Don Muang in January.

Is this a correct procedure to use?  Check in online. Print boarding passes. We will only have carry on baggage, so straight to passport control. No need for check in either at desk or machine????

23 hours ago, MekkOne said:

Here we go again, someone that didn't get how AirAsia works...

As per low-fare company AirAsia got a quiet straight forward policy, pay for service, you want a better service you pay a higher price, AirAsia is meant to be a air company for commuters, not for holiday makers, so the best way to travel using it is the lightweight way, only a cabin baggage and nothing more, the prices that the company applies are actually encouraging this kind of travel and not the checked baggage one. It is simple, if you want to fly as in a traditional airline do not aspect a much cheaper price if you want a fast check in service an onboard meal and a fast boarding.

a little price comparison between AA e BA just to understand that the service of AA is very expansive...

Screenshot_2018-12-27 Book Cheap Flights Online To Over 130 Destinations AirAsia.png

Screenshot_2018-12-27 Bangkok Airways.png

So on the 9am flight, a saving of about 300 baht !! Fight the queues or sit in the BA lounge !!

I know which one I'd be choosing ????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

This is either very new or you are mistaken. I checked in at DMK for MNL in the old-fashioned way three weeks ago. Admittedly it was crowded and difficult to perceive which line was which, but once queued up it took about twenty minutes to reach the check-in desk, where I presented my passport and received a boarding pass. I did not print out my boarding pass beforehand, and I made sure I had under 7kg of cabin baggage. Altogether not too bad an experience.

Once again I find that a lot of posters appear to have not bothered to read

The original and subsequent posts. many have stated its been this way for

A year or more, I last used this Queue factory four months ago, the checkin Queue was massive but THEY printed your boarding pass/baggage pass.

Yesterday you had to Queue three times in massive Queue's  before you could drop your Baggage off . they then tell you to check the cctv to make sure your baggage has been sent  .you then went to the immigration Queue and on to the Boarding/bus Queue. I thought they was going to give me the pilots uniform as it was about the only thing they did not expect the punters to sort.

so if you have baggage you have to give at least 3.5 hours to be safe. This set up is making the bus look good.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Is it the same procedure for domestic flights or is it just for international flights?

I am sure some of the special ones who know all about every airport and all the airlines can break from their studies to answer your query but all

I can do is repeat my other post.

August flew to Bali normal check in.

yesterday flew to Udon Thani = queue and print and queue again.

but I am no expert on this matter I am just a messenger.  

Off topic, and i can't be arsed to go into the details here, but a complete cluster##ck of a

cock up

mistake

bad service 

poor management

by Nok Air 2 days ago at DM for 2 friends visiting me. 1st time in Thailand too.

In fact 1st day in Thailand ever.

Basically missed their flight that i booked and paid for weeks ago and were made to pay 3700 odd Baht each for the next flight (added - not on a normal itinerary) one hour later. All of it the fault of Nok Air, crap counter service and crap floor management.
Dreadful experience for them.

52 minutes ago, zoza said:

I am sure some of the special ones who know all about every airport and all the airlines can break from their studies to answer your query but all

I can do is repeat my other post.

August flew to Bali normal check in.

yesterday flew to Udon Thani = queue and print and queue again.

but I am no expert on this matter I am just a messenger.  

OK thanks for your invaluable info. Sorry, I missed the fact that u flew to Udon which means that it is domestic too....????.

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I just can't understand why you have to queue to print out a baggage tag and then queue again for the check-in desk. Why can't Air Asia work like every other airline I've used over the past 50 years and print the baggage tag out themselves at the check-in desk.

After suffering the chaos there myself I wrote to them suggesting the revolutionary idea of using the same system that all other airlines use (ASAIK) and they thanked me for my comment and said it would be considered.

I've now realised that I've foolishly booked a domestic flight with luggage using AA, and will probably book with Thai Smile instead and swallow the loss. Air Asia just isn't worth the hassle if you have luggage.

And indeed I have made a new booking with Smile. The whole fare is shown up-front too, which includes a 20-kilo free luggage allowance and even seat selection with a Promotion Fare. Brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Off topic, and i can't be arsed to go into the details here, but a complete cluster##ck of a

cock up

mistake

bad service 

poor management

by Nok Air 2 days ago at DM for 2 friends visiting me. 1st time in Thailand too.

In fact 1st day in Thailand ever.

Basically missed their flight that i booked and paid for weeks ago and were made to pay 3700 odd Baht each for the next flight (added - not on a normal itinerary) one hour later. All of it the fault of Nok Air, crap counter service and crap floor management.
Dreadful experience for them.

I would never fly with Nok. Too many delays and cancelled flights. When you are at the airport, I bet if you look at the departure screen there will be cancelled Nok flights on it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

OK thanks for your invaluable info. Sorry, I missed the fact that u flew to Udon which means that it is domestic too....????.

I think it is only domestic but I am not 100% so as they say prepare for the worst and hope for the best. good luck. 

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I and my wife are flying to Siem Reap with Air Asia at from Don Muang in January.

Is this a correct procedure to use?  

Check in online. Print boarding passes. We will only have carry on baggage, so straight to passport control. No need for check in either at desk or machine????

Yes, direct to security check, or at least it was the correct procedure 6 months ago for my flight to Phnom Phen :smile: It's really very easy, and you don't even need to paper-print your pass if you can store it in your phone.

I like AirAsia to fly nearby countries. You can get really good prices if you reserve 3+ months ahead. Never got a delay more than 30 minutes. Departure (inc boarding) and Arrival are easy and fast.

Despite what some may say here, I for sure will continue to fly AirAsia, and from Don Muang :cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And indeed I have made a new booking with Smile. The whole fare is shown up-front too, which includes a 20-kilo free luggage allowance and even seat selection with a Promotion Fare. Brilliant.

Hope that works out for you. When I went to China with Smile we arrived at the airport and couldn't find a desk, turned out the flight had been cancelled and we were put on an Air Asia flight about an hour and a half later. It was gone midnight when we arrived and taxi struggled to find accommodation.

On saying that, my wife and I were the only passengers on the return flight and cabin crew were falling over themselves to bring coffee and biscuits, unfortunately alcohol free. On arrival they brought our luggage to the steps and we were out of the airport within 20 minutes of landing.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:45 PM, Pattaya46 said:
On 12/28/2018 at 8:09 AM, youreavinalaff said:

Is this a correct procedure to use?  Check in online. Print boarding passes. We will only have carry on baggage, so straight to passport control. No need for check in either at desk or machine????

Yes, direct to security check, or at least it was the correct procedure 6 months ago for my flight to Phnom Phen :smile: It's really very easy, and you don't even need to paper-print your pass if you can store it in your phone.

I like AirAsia to fly nearby countries. You can get really good prices if you reserve 3+ months ahead. Never got a delay more than 30 minutes. Departure (inc boarding) and Arrival are easy and fast.

Despite what some may say here, I for sure will continue to fly AirAsia, and from Don Muang :cool:

That is the same as my experience of AA flight to Yangon on 27 Dec 2018. The only difference is I used their self-service kiosk to print the boarding pass but if you don't want any queue, you can print the boarding pass from home.

Edited by sanmyintmaung
  • Like 1

Why are all these people saying only take carry on luggage?Most people are going away for a week or more. Do they expect them to get a weeks clothes in a carry on bag.

I flew Air Asia from Don Muang last week to Nakhon Phanom.

There were 3 people in front of me at a self service machine, and it took 20 minutes to get to the front, as they kept pressing the wrong buttons. I think once you have used them once you are ok the next time, but can be a bit daunting first time.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 8:32 AM, MekkOne said:

I never had a problem using AA, just check in online as you are suppose to do and travel without chack baggage as you're supposed to do. that it's simple as it is.

There are some flights that you can't check in online.

I use such a route monthly and when I arrive at DM about 2 1/2 hours prior to the flight go to the self check in machine and print my boarding pass. Then I go for a few beers until around 1 1/2 to 1 hour prior to the flight at which time there will be a priority queue for passengers who's check in times are about to close.

I've never had to wait more that 10 to 15 minutes at check in doing this and still have time to get through to the departure gate. Sometimes you also get priority through immigration if it's busy.

On 12/28/2018 at 6:09 AM, youreavinalaff said:

You will still have to go to check in for document verification.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 6:21 AM, cornishcarlos said:

So on the 9am flight, a saving of about 300 baht !! Fight the queues or sit in the BA lounge !!

I know which one I'd be choosing ????

The flights I take the fare difference is US$200 between AA and BA.

So when the company pay I take BA and when I pay I take AA.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 1:31 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

You will still have to go to check in for document verification.

Arrived at DM on a domestic flight at 8:30 am. Had already checked in for our Air Asia flight to Siem Reap online and printed boarding passes. Went straight to international terminal. We had only carry on baggage. Through passport control and onto the gate. Arrived at the gate at 9:20.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 6:40 PM, NewGuy said:

My experience from AA flights is when the flight date approaches, check in on-line, and print out what’s sent to the screen or arrives immediately by email. Be aware that you can only check in 24 hrs or less than scheduled departure time, at least at the price points I book.

I very often go for the cheapest seat an have always been able to check in 14 days before the flight, so I'd be interested to know the flights that restrict you to 24 hours?

• 3 weeks later...

It has been years since I flew A.A. from DMK. Missed a flight, had maximum stress although I was there hours early for the departure... Similar chaos overseas.  No, other airlines are a pleasure by comparison:

Vietjet, Lion Air, ... VJ doesn't fly from DMK. And BKK means an added bus ride for me.

Still, hell no to Air Asia!