another bad day at Don Mueang with Air Asia

zoza

On 1/4/2019 at 3:01 AM, johnmell said:

Why are all these people saying only take carry on luggage?Most people are going away for a week or more. Do they expect them to get a weeks clothes in a carry on bag.

Never heard of a laundry ?

4 days clothes are sufficient for a 7 day trip....... use your imagination and see what you can get in a 7/8 kg backpack.

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2019 at 12:59 PM, LucysDad said:

Never heard of a laundry ?

4 days clothes are sufficient for a 7 day trip....... use your imagination and see what you can get in a 7/8 kg backpack.

Can't be arsed to go to a laundry when on holiday. Besides clothes there are other things like electrical items to take.Also bring back loads of food items from Bangkok you cant get up in the north east.

Anyway i wouldnt want to deprive the wife of washing a weeks collection of my dirty clothes when i get home.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 5:31 AM, BobbyL said:

Horrendous airport. I won't ever fly from there again. 

Totally agree, would rather pay more for the same flight out of Survanbhumi.

Parking at DM is also a complete abortion!

• 5 months later...

I've done 5 flights BKK to Perth this year, 3 were with AA, 2 with Thai. I didn't notice much, if any diff, checking in at DM or Swampy. In fact the longest line/longest wait to check in was one night with Thai at Swampy. I've flown all over the place with AA for years now and can't say I've noticed any big diff in service. They're certainly much cheaper than flying Thai, admittedly you don't get free food/drinks with AA, but that never bothers me and can always buy something if needed, but generally I wait until I reach KL and eat/drink in the food court. I have only ever experienced short delays with AA, but one of my flights with Thai was delayed at Perth airport for around 8 hours, which was a bloody drag as tirak was meeting me at Swampy.

1 hour ago, TSF said:

I've done 5 flights BKK to Perth this year, 3 were with AA, 2 with Thai. I didn't notice much, if any diff, checking in at DM or Swampy. In fact the longest line/longest wait to check in was one night with Thai at Swampy. I've flown all over the place with AA for years now and can't say I've noticed any big diff in service. They're certainly much cheaper than flying Thai, admittedly you don't get free food/drinks with AA, but that never bothers me and can always buy something if needed, but generally I wait until I reach KL and eat/drink in the food court. I have only ever experienced short delays with AA, but one of my flights with Thai was delayed at Perth airport for around 8 hours, which was a bloody drag as tirak was meeting me at Swampy.

Budget airlines are ok (ish) until something goes wrong, then it's a lottery what the outcome may be.

• 1 month later...

Just flew out of there to Chiang Rai on Air Asia a few weeks ago. No issues at all. You do need to precheck and pay for any bags or seat selections before getting to the airport to avoid that additional nightmare but it only took us 10 minutes and we were thru. Sounds like you caught it on a bad day!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 4 months later...

My first time out of Khon Kaen to DM in Bangkok.

Will have a return flight to KK a few days later.
I have email confirmation of flights etc.
My first time with Thai Lion.
I have paid for additional luggage both ways.
How easy is it at Khon Kaen and DM Bangkok for check in ?

On my return to KK how long should I allow for check-in ?

I have another flight DM to Ubon with Thai Lion on a Saturday return same day - hand baggage only.  Easy or not ?

I used to fly long hauls international every month out of UK but now retired in my 70's I haven't flown for some years.

I would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks

On 12/27/2018 at 11:15 AM, fruitman said:

As soon as you enter Don mueang there are masses of people there who are all in the super long queue's...it really is unheard of but it seems they wont fix this issue, it was already like that last year.

There is no staff, you have to search for them to find out that you really have to go in that queue, there's no way around it.

I won't use don meang anymore...it's terrible...

It's chaos, we checked in at 3.30 am and there were queues to the doors.

It wasn't until the missus went for a walk that we discovered that it was all Chinese on the airasia. 

We were flying on Lionair and trailed in single file all the way to the other end of the airports. past the crowds, but we could have easily joined the end of the queue. There was a time when you had to scan your luggage before approaching the check-in desks.  

I don't understand why the OP needed to print off anything, every flight I take I just produce my passport or the ticket on my iPhone, if flying from my city with no baggage you can walk straight to the departure lounge with your phone and driving license, and then again as you board the flight.

Whatever, Don Muang is a disgrace.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, recom273 said:

It wasn't until the missus went for a walk that we discovered that it was all Chinese on the airasia. 

We were flying on Lionair and trailed in single file all the way to the other end of the airports. past the crowds, but we could have easily joined the end of the queue. There was a time when you had to scan your luggage before approaching the check-in desks.  

I don't understand why the OP needed to print off anything, every flight I take I just produce my passport or the ticket on my iPhone, if flying from my city with no baggage you can walk straight to the departure lounge with your phone and driving license, and then again as you board the flight.

I remember walking through the door to see huge huge lines of people there so we had no choice to join them in the line....after an hour we found out we didn't have to be in that line at all...

And about stamping we also had many issues with those machines who should stamp (or do something) and more <deleted> like that...e-tickets should make it all easy but hey not in Thailand of course.

Anyway, i won't go to Don Muang anymore, they even won't let me smoke from all the stress there.

Oh and when we came back on don muang we had to wait an hour for the luggage to arrive, it was raining soo hard that they couldn't get the luggage out of the plane they said. 55555

And then we needed a taxi home, there was a queue of 150 people waiting for the taxi's.....

Never again!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Was this recently or back in 2018! I recently used Air Asia's "Fly Thru" service from Khon Kaen to Siem Reap and I had never seen DMK so deserted and also very quiet. No hoards of Chinese tourists. Plenty of empty seats in the departure lounge for Gates 1 to 6 downstairs from which you are "bussed" to Air Asia planes out on the tarmac.

2 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Was this recently or back in 2018! I recently used Air Asia's "Fly Thru" service from Khon Kaen to Siem Reap and I had never seen DMK so deserted and also very quiet. No hoards of Chinese tourists. Plenty of empty seats in the departure lounge for Gates 1 to 6 downstairs from which you are "bussed" to Air Asia planes out on the tarmac.

At the last Chinese new year, which is why it was full of Chinese. But I fly through a few times a year and its always a mess.

We are talking about the departure hall, where you check-in, so you would have missed out on all the fun. Like others say, there are queues from the check-in desks to the door - all caused by Airasia. No one cares, no one was asking people to stand to one side and allow traffic to pass or advising passengers that this was the line for AA passengers.

• Thanks 1