When a "stupid" taxi rip off is not enough! Now a US dollar is worth the same as a Euro!

webfact

12 hours ago, BernieOnTour said:

5400 Baht for a round trip of that tiny Mafia island??? If that's not a scam - what else?

In CM, I can hire a van for 8 persons, driving me around all of Thailand for 3000 Baht a day ...

and yes, on Samui I can get a minivan for the day for 2,000 baht. It is foolish to generalise.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/27/2018 at 10:04 AM, Bullie said:

Compared to renting a motocy for 250 baht for the whole day, and take a trip around the island your self these are ridiculous prices....

Bangkok - Trat for instance is a 300 km, 4-5 hour trip and it sets me back 3500 baht - and YES, the taxidriver still has to make it back to Bangkok, included in the price!

yes that true also not one taxi in Trat has a meter and I doubt that they ever will

On 12/27/2018 at 1:28 PM, Development at Khaoyai said:

When I was last in Samui, I was delighted to see signs in Nathon, that Phantip minibuses would now take you anywhere on the island for 250 baht !  That makes these charges appear grotesque!

I pay 80 baht.

On 12/27/2018 at 2:50 PM, spidermike007 said:

This post is amusing. It has been like this on Samui for decades now. None of the authorities are as powerful as the Samui taxi mafia. Yes, that includes Prayuth, and his all powerful army. Not long after they seized power, they came into Samui by the hundreds. They insisted that the taxis start using their meters. The taxis all agreed. As is always the case with anything the army and this administration does, after two weeks, all was forgotten, and there was no follow up. If you flagged a taxi and asked him to use his meter, he looked at you like you were from Mars, and laughed at you. Been the same ever since. Samui is the biggest taxi scam in Thailand. Always has been, and probably always will be. It is still the Wild Wild West there. These guys are above the law. And and all laws. 

Same in Rayong no big bus does Rayong City (Thailands's most industrial Province) to Bangkok, You have to get a mini bus.

I was in Bangkok recently and two bad experiences with taxi drivers and a great experience with Grabcar. Year and a half ago I was on Samui and the taxi drivers weren't bargaining. I hope taxi alternatives survive in Thailand.

Since we are complaining about Samui here, what is Koh Phangan like these days? I'm NOT looking for world class resorts and spas.

I love the headline "revealed" ... its common knowledge Samui is Mafia Taxi territory. I loved that island , but with Bangkok Air scamming everyone Flying there , and the cost of getting around and in September the beach in Lamai was unusable except for a netted area because of Jellyfish, I'm finished with the place. Everything is overpriced and a rip off and I speak to people who work there and it's very serious now.Bangkok Air have a monopoly on the flights as they own the airport. 4000/ 6000 baht one way per person. Total nonsense. It's too messy getting there via Surat Thani. The supposed clean up never happened , probably a lot of money changed hands . Even the price of a McDonalds is way over the norm. Great memories of the island ,but I'm gone . 

Surprised the topic is still open.

Samui private taxi's have always tried their luck when taking a fare.  They never use meters, all about negotiating a price your happy with (if not that jump on one of the many buses driving back and forth)

I've not seen the prices as shown ($ and Euro)

Chill if your not happy with the price walk away, it will not change until they kill the golden goose (bit like Phuket) 

Archived