When a "stupid" taxi rip off is not enough! Now a US dollar is worth the same as a Euro!

webfact

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, maddox41 said:

It's nothing new they all think we are rich stupid Farangs. 

What makes me laugh if we are all rich we can't be that <deleted>.... Stupid ???  I have never meet a culture of  people that think they are so intelligent of there ignorance.   Blows my mind and as you all know when you live here long enough  speak Thai they stay away  from you like the plague. As you not stupid no more.  They have a scam radar but in to their brain 

A slightly odd and funny post but actually, right on. ????

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The metered taxis   are not allowed access to the key tourist locales from Kata to Surin and you know it. The metered taxis  refuse to use the meter from the airport and I had multiple confrontations with the drivers. Not  an option to argue as they are all in on the the price fixing.

It's offensive to those of us who have been around and had to deal with the rip offs of everyone from the illegal taxi mobsters, to the tuk tuks, to the other organized crime entities, when you claim that there isn't an intentional rip off in effect. No sangthaew options in Patong are there? It is deplorable that they were  charging 400 baht to honest and decent elderly Scandanavian and Japanese tourists  to go less than 1 km. The transportation . problems have been  discussed for the past decade and I remind you that the public bus system was sabotaged by the  tuk tuk groups who used physical threats and violence to  interfere.

Thailand islands mafia rigging the system with the compliance of the authorities... tourists can vote with their feet and ultimately Thailand had to take punitive actions on the fate of their tourism industry... 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This post is amusing. It has been like this on Samui for decades now. None of the authorities are as powerful as the Samui taxi mafia. Yes, that includes Prayuth, and his all powerful army. Not long after they seized power, they came into Samui by the hundreds. They insisted that the taxis start using their meters. The taxis all agreed. As is always the case with anything the army and this administration does, after two weeks, all was forgotten, and there was no follow up. If you flagged a taxi and asked him to use his meter, he looked at you like you were from Mars, and laughed at you. Been the same ever since. Samui is the biggest taxi scam in Thailand. Always has been, and probably always will be. It is still the Wild Wild West there. These guys are above the law. And and all laws. 

Don’t go to Samui to feed those mafia economy. Vote with your feet. 30 years in Thailand and I never been to samui. Read and heard too much negativivity about it. Never regret it. There are other islands in ASEAN more worthy of my money and attention. 

3 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You guys are completely wrong if you think Taxi drivers are stupid. It's tourists that are stupid.

Back in the day, I used to work for a big e-commerce site and prices on some items were 400-500% higher than in local store. People would still buy it because they either didn't know better or were just too lazy to shop around. Taxis are doing the same thing. Most tourists know it's a rip off, but a few will still hire them. Why put 6 times the work for the same amount of money when Somchai can be sleeping all day and get 1 dumb tourists to pay the price. It's a numbers game.... just as if you were on tinder.

Agree. The tourists are partly to blame for being an enabler... especially those on a 2 weeks vacation. They set up a price bar that others had to follow. 

3 hours ago, pennine said:

I commented once before on the price of taxis in Samui. 500 baht from the airport to Choeng Mon, a 10 minute trip. Compare with 400 baht from Suvarnibhumi to Sukhumvit, 45 minutes to an hour. And if that's not sufficient outrageousness, they charge extra if they have to go up a hill!! And I'm a resident, not a tourist.

I can empathize with those residents in samui paying the same price as tourists.. no two tier system for residents and tourists?  

50 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Don’t go to Samui to feed those mafia economy.

Have not lived on Samui for a couple of years but back then the taxis/vans at the airport were run by Russians exclusively. The local Thai drivers were not allowed in the airport arrival area unless you had booked them by phone before arriving.

Not saying that they are not overpriced but that last trip from Lamai to the airport with my regular driver was 500 baht, the meter was on but he asked would I pay the usual price that I had been paying for years..

11 hours ago, BestB said:

The assumption is wrong thinking that taxi drivers think foreigners are stupid. Fact is taxi drivers are stupid , they do not know the difference between euro or dollar ????

Any man that can ask for and get (even if only one in ten cough it up) $150 or Euro is in my humble opinion....very far from being a stupid man ...I think the original statement is correct.

4 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Lived on Samui for years, taken plenty of taxis and never seen fares anything like this, they all have the same card, I guess its issued to them, and the charges are capped at 600 baht.  I think this is probably just a photoshopped joke.

Of course, I have a car two motorbike and rarely take a taxi in Samui, the last I took was from Nathon to Lamai I paid 600 ฿

Sorry a bit off topic with my฿ So back to OP I paid 18$ 50 cents

Just came back from samui last week myself British, my wife two stepsons Thai, and our son half English half thai, the taxi driver thought he was being clever when he tried ripping us off over the tickets for the ferry, the wife phone the taxi operator and make them send him back, he said it was a mistake the wife was having none of it she marched him to the ticket office and made him buy her another ticket, the guy had absolutely no shame, if he dose that to a thai citizen what has he been up to when it's taxi full of foreigners, personally I would have dropped him but the wife wouldn't let me. 

17 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

5400 Baht for a round trip of that tiny Mafia island??? If that's not a scam - what else?

In CM, I can hire a van for 8 persons, driving me around all of Thailand for 3000 Baht a day ...

It is almost a 2 hour drive (68km) per Google maps.  

13 minutes ago, fruitman said:

The Thai law says that taxi's have to use the meter, period...so ALL taxi's who don't use it are scammers and offenders according the law.

Not if you politely decline their offer!thanks but I’ll use the moto, the baht bus, the hire car, etc. You could even use the old foot falcon!

First time i go to kho Samui we took a Taxi at the airport , he complaining it was a long drive to Chaweng..He drove the whole island round as we arrive..  2 weeks later we go back, i think in two !!! minutes we arrive!!!  Next time the try again and again, thinking Farangs are all and stay stupit..

Vote with your feet. Explains, why the whole country is empty of quality tourists who all will not come back anymore.

But as long as the government, putting its big nose into everything (except the real source of Prawatch‘s collection, the whereabouts of Red Bull‘s Ferrari darling or the actual story behind the black panther), is busier with doing the really important things - go figure.

And, on a more serious note, tell the publisher of this excellent fare tariff, why more and more (incl. me) are using GrabCar, GrabTaxi or simply two seats next to eachother on a interprovincial bus. Taxis not switching on the meter are kindly reminded to do so; if not, I am getting off at the next red light leaving the door wide open. Very much to the liking of Khon Khap Taxi! 

14 hours ago, sahibji said:

a better solution would be to introduce competition in the form of UBER or GRAB

There is, a perfectly working online service which is Samui based. Yes, prices are a bit higher than what you pay for grab in BKK or CM but they are well below the scum prices and you don't negotiate. Not all is backwards on this island and there is too much negativity. If you are not lazy or stupid there are ways around the rip offs. 

22 hours ago, BestB said:

The assumption is wrong thinking that taxi drivers think foreigners are stupid. Fact is taxi drivers are stupid , they do not know the difference between euro or dollar ????

Taxi drivers are anything but fools, on an island they have the monopoly... pay-up or walk

they don't give a damn about exchange rates... all "farangs" are rich is their understanding!

Yes the taxi drivers in Thailand think tourists are stupid. Just like in America and everywhere else - cab drivers - and car dealers and real estate dealers and crooked cops and loan sharks, embalmers and collection agents, et cetera - they ask ridiculous prices and then accept a fraction of the asking price if they can get it. And they go on doing this because they get away with it dealing with people who are from somewhere or are in a disadvantaged position for any reason. 

It has nothing to do with fairness or reason.

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That is irrelevant. It has been overpriced on Samui for decades. The taxis remain unregulated. They will never use their meters. And nobody is attempting to fix the problem. I have never seen that bizarre sign either. But that does not mean prices are not out of proportion to elsewhere in Thailand. 

Yes, the taxi situation has been a pain for the eighteen years that I have lived here. I have NEVER used a taxi.

Navigo are doing well here and their taxis do use the meter - plus a surcharge. Cheaper than standard taxis.

As an aside, rental scooter for the day 200 baht (no insurance) for the last eighteen years and rental cars 900 to 1,000 baht per day inc full insurance.

$1 USD is equal to 1.14 Euro's (at todays exchange rate), so it is true that the Euro is (almost) the same as a dollar. Of course that 0.14 Euro extra might make a big difference if you are on a very tight budget, why would anyone pay in USD or Euros? Pay in baht and problem is solved.

Archived