BANGKOK
webfact

When a "stupid" taxi rip off is not enough! Now a US dollar is worth the same as a Euro!

Just came back from samui last week myself British, my wife two stepsons Thai, and our son half English half thai, the taxi driver thought he was being clever when he tried ripping us off over the tickets for the ferry, the wife phone the taxi operator and make them send him back, he said it was a mistake the wife was having none of it she marched him to the ticket office and made him buy her another ticket, the guy had absolutely no shame, if he dose that to a thai citizen what has he been up to when it's taxi full of foreigners, personally I would have dropped him but the wife wouldn't let me. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

5400 Baht for a round trip of that tiny Mafia island??? If that's not a scam - what else?

In CM, I can hire a van for 8 persons, driving me around all of Thailand for 3000 Baht a day ...

It is almost a 2 hour drive (68km) per Google maps.  

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

Probably his thai family drives taxi's or minibuses....

Wrong but that wouldn’t change the fact that if you cannot be bothered talking price first ,it’s not a scam

2 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Because there is no bargaining this is their set price 

Says you! If that’s the case you don,t use them ,see it every day ,in every retail business, in every country.

13 minutes ago, fruitman said:

The Thai law says that taxi's have to use the meter, period...so ALL taxi's who don't use it are scammers and offenders according the law.

Not if you politely decline their offer!thanks but I’ll use the moto, the baht bus, the hire car, etc. You could even use the old foot falcon!

First time i go to kho Samui we took a Taxi at the airport , he complaining it was a long drive to Chaweng..He drove the whole island round as we arrive..  2 weeks later we go back, i think in two !!! minutes we arrive!!!  Next time the try again and again, thinking Farangs are all and stay stupit..

Vote with your feet. Explains, why the whole country is empty of quality tourists who all will not come back anymore.

But as long as the government, putting its big nose into everything (except the real source of Prawatch‘s collection, the whereabouts of Red Bull‘s Ferrari darling or the actual story behind the black panther), is busier with doing the really important things - go figure.

And, on a more serious note, tell the publisher of this excellent fare tariff, why more and more (incl. me) are using GrabCar, GrabTaxi or simply two seats next to eachother on a interprovincial bus. Taxis not switching on the meter are kindly reminded to do so; if not, I am getting off at the next red light leaving the door wide open. Very much to the liking of Khon Khap Taxi! 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sahibji said:

a better solution would be to introduce competition in the form of UBER or GRAB

There is, a perfectly working online service which is Samui based. Yes, prices are a bit higher than what you pay for grab in BKK or CM but they are well below the scum prices and you don't negotiate. Not all is backwards on this island and there is too much negativity. If you are not lazy or stupid there are ways around the rip offs. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BestB said:

The assumption is wrong thinking that taxi drivers think foreigners are stupid. Fact is taxi drivers are stupid , they do not know the difference between euro or dollar 😂

Taxi drivers are anything but fools, on an island they have the monopoly... pay-up or walk

they don't give a damn about exchange rates... all "farangs" are rich is their understanding!

• Like 1

Yes the taxi drivers in Thailand think tourists are stupid. Just like in America and everywhere else - cab drivers - and car dealers and real estate dealers and crooked cops and loan sharks, embalmers and collection agents, et cetera - they ask ridiculous prices and then accept a fraction of the asking price if they can get it. And they go on doing this because they get away with it dealing with people who are from somewhere or are in a disadvantaged position for any reason. 

It has nothing to do with fairness or reason.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That is irrelevant. It has been overpriced on Samui for decades. The taxis remain unregulated. They will never use their meters. And nobody is attempting to fix the problem. I have never seen that bizarre sign either. But that does not mean prices are not out of proportion to elsewhere in Thailand. 

Yes, the taxi situation has been a pain for the eighteen years that I have lived here. I have NEVER used a taxi.

Navigo are doing well here and their taxis do use the meter - plus a surcharge. Cheaper than standard taxis.

As an aside, rental scooter for the day 200 baht (no insurance) for the last eighteen years and rental cars 900 to 1,000 baht per day inc full insurance.

• Like 1

$1 USD is equal to 1.14 Euro's (at todays exchange rate), so it is true that the Euro is (almost) the same as a dollar. Of course that 0.14 Euro extra might make a big difference if you are on a very tight budget, why would anyone pay in USD or Euros? Pay in baht and problem is solved.

Edited by Ahab

16 hours ago, sahibji said:

a better solution would be to introduce competition in the form of UBER or GRAB

Grab is on Samui and much cheaper. There is also an Uber look alike called Navigo - again cheaper.

• Like 1