What's the point of taking BTS?

theguyfromanotherforum

OP you didn't know BTS has escalators? . If you miss the first train then that's due to peak hour or weekend. There is always another following close behind. 

A stinky hot bus in grid lock traffic. How were you able to draw a comparison? 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, fruitman said:

Have you seen the hundreds of birds living in the beams of the stations? They make a lot of noise, shit everywhere and when they have birdflue the stations have to be closed....they even shit on the road underneath it and there are loads and loads of them.

If that was true (and without huge exaggeration, it isn't), how would it be the fault of, or anything to do with, the BTS?   Birds nest everywhere and shit everywhere, don't they?   

Noisy birds?  Good grief...all that chirping and cooing, what a 'kin nightmare.

18 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"Something wrong with profit?" No, not if it's fair and the people are getting value for their money.

The big problem is capitalists like Branson. I don't think I need to explain.

I think that you do.  Love to see your expanded explanation!

34 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Hardly a big deal as at that time in the evening the trains arrive just about every minute!   While the train is loading at Asoke the lights of the next train can be seen at Nana station.

His nic should be a guy from another universe. He doesn't seem to be dancing with the rest of us 

On 12/28/2018 at 1:16 PM, gjoo888 said:

Unless you have to, stay away from the BTS and MRT during commute hours. I just got home from taking the BTS and MRT about an hour ago. There was no one at the ticket vending machines at both the Siam BTS station and Sukhumvit MRT station, and I also got a seat on both legs of the journey. I agree though, it can be awfully crowded during certain times. 

Yeah I'm chilling on a seat at Salhan Taksin watching the tourists get off. It's so empty I could lay on the floor.

I never pay much attention to the ticket windows since I keep my rabbit filled

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You'd have breakfast with him, really?  

Free food balances out.

I'd lower myself to eat breakfast with the editorial board of the NY times if they bought. 

Just to kick some more kindling into the camp fire. I don't even live in Bangkok any more. When I was visiting for a couple of nights at a time, I've had to wait for another train at Phrom Pong outbound several times, around 9:30-1030 at night, Phra Khanong in-bound in the early morning and Thong Lor in-bound around 7 pm. That's on once or twice a month visits.

From other threads, there are guys who go out early and get onboard the BTS outbound, say at Phra Khanong, so they can get to a less crowded station and squeeze into a car in-bound to go to work.

I liked the BTS (amd MRT) a few years ago. But now, with all the new stations pushing more people into town, you have to be choosy as to your travel time, if you're not tied to the work clock.

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I call OP report bogus...

I lived in BKK and took it everyday.

I think it is fantastic and coveinient.

I never waited more then one train ever! 

The OP must be missing trains resting for 15 minutes after his exhausted walk up those stairs. If you hate it stick with a taxi or bus.

Chatuchak today. I should have taken a photo. I took 10 minutes for people just to go up stairs.

Of course I didn't bother. Me taking a bus won't make a difference. It is mostly tourists congesting the BTS line.

34 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Chatuchak today. I should have taken a photo. I took 10 minutes for people just to go up stairs.

Of course I didn't bother. Me taking a bus won't make a difference. It is mostly tourists congesting the BTS line.

Maybe from Mo-Chit yes, there are a lot of tourists especially on weekend as many want see the JJ weekend-market.

But on other routes I see about 80% Thai person in the BTS... sometimes even more.

29 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Maybe from Mo-Chit yes, there are a lot of tourists especially on weekend as many want see the JJ weekend-market.

But on other routes I see about 80% Thai person in the BTS... sometimes even more.

Definitely.  How can anyone say the BTS is mostly clogged up with tourists?  As you say it is mostly Thai commuters.

Just proves that most of the moaners don't actually use it very often, or base their criticisms on one bad experience and extrapolate that to the entire network.

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

What are you talking about? It's 90 %. thais!! 

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah I'm chilling on a seat at Salhan Taksin watching the tourists get off. It's so empty I could lay on the floor.

I never pay much attention to the ticket windows since I keep my rabbit filled

There were huge queue's at the ticket machines saphan taksin 4 hours ago. And we were there after waiting in a super long queue at Icon Siam to get the boat to Sathorn pier, had to wait 4 boats before we could board...took 45 minutes so don't go there...

8 minutes ago, fruitman said:

There were huge queue's at the ticket machines

If I see one more poster writing about queues at BTS ticket machines I'm gunna go postal !!!

Just buy a Rabbit card. The sooner they wipe out cash payments for the BTS & MRT the better. Don't use the BTS often? Doesn't matter. The stored value on your card is valid for two(?) years and can be used in McDonalds, various coffee shops etc. etc. Unless you're some first time tourist, there is no reason to be lining up for tokens, ever.

24 minutes ago, fruitman said:

There were huge queue's at the ticket machines saphan taksin 4 hours ago. And we were there after waiting in a super long queue at Icon Siam to get the boat to Sathorn pier, had to wait 4 boats before we could board...took 45 minutes so don't go there...

Were there any bird attacks at Saphan Taksin?  Did you survive?  Hope you didn't get chirruped to death.

Feel free to answer any of the questions you've been asked about those ridiculous claims.  Feel free to name the stations that are infested.  Feel free to tell us about the station closures that have happened.   Any time.  We'll just be waiting here.

17 minutes ago, kkerry said:

If I see one more poster writing about queues at BTS ticket machines I'm gunna go postal !!!

Just buy a Rabbit card. The sooner they wipe out cash payments for the BTS & MRT the better. Don't use the BTS often? Doesn't matter. The stored value on your card is valid for two(?) years and can be used in McDonalds, various coffee shops etc. etc. Unless you're some first time tourist, there is no reason to be lining up for tokens, ever.

I'm a great fan of the BTS but to be fair, the system of queueing for coins then queueing again for tickets is ridiculous.  Yeah, we all have our Rabbit cards and there is no excuse for people who live here, but for tourists it is horrendous - they can't be expected to know and they may only make one or two trips in the time they are here.

In London you can't even get on a bus now without an Oyster card - there are no other payments options (apart from contactless bank or credit cards) - so you could just do the same here and everyone needs to adapt.  But a 100 baht deposit for a Rabbit card is quite a lot for someone who might only be here a couple of days.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Should have bagged the boat queue and walked over to BTS Krung Thonburi.

30 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

But a 100 baht deposit for a Rabbit card is quite a lot for someone who might only be here a couple of days.

Yea its a whole $3 for a Westerner. I can see guys sitting at the $50 hotel buffets whining about the $3.

On 12/27/2018 at 4:38 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Wait 10 minutes to get a ticket.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for anyone who waits more than once in their lifetime to buy a BTS or MRT ticket.  The first time should be enough of a lesson.  Buy a stored value ticket.

For me, if something in BKK wasn't on the BTS or MRT lines, I thought long and hard before the journey.  I could meet 95% of my daily needs, and the vast majority of all my needs without getting into a vehicle in BKK.  I only pulled my pickup out of the parking lot to beat feet out of town on weekends.

Edit:  Okay, maybe twice in their lifetime...  Once to learn the lesson, and the second time to prove that the first time wasn't just a fluke.

8 hours ago, kkerry said:

We have bts and srt cards but my wife was so stupid to not bring them in her wallet.....

And i wonder why all other bangkokians don't use rabbit because the queue's were very long...

9 hours ago, kkerry said:

Yes, this! I have friends in BKK who have lived there longer than me and they still don't have a stored value card. [Smacks head.] I have to wait for them as they queue up and wait and queue up again. Exasperating. I have the cards for the MRT and BTS. When I need to top up, I do it at non-busy times or stations.

Really handy at the Sukhumvit MRT, where the tickets lines are long and fraught with buyers inserting all manner of baht coins. I zip by them and straight downstairs. There's no excuse not to have BTS/MRT fare cards.

23 hours ago, madmen said:

His nic should be a guy from another universe. He doesn't seem to be dancing with the rest of us 

"His nic should be a guy from another universe".

What?  If your nonsensical comment is suggesting that I seemingly "don't dance" with the majority here then that is correct and something that I will be eternally grateful for.

17 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Try the MRT. And its NYE weekend, why would you go to Chatuchak. And you should have taken a photo ????

Archived