What's the point of taking BTS?

theguyfromanotherforum

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

That's exactly what I did. Turned left and no crowds.

So then what are you complaining about? Personally, I consider both transit systems to be the same, since both can get me where I want to go. For example, I can bypass silom by getting off at saladang and switching to the MRT and picking up and BTS again if I want in Asoke. I know the BTS sucks around mo chit on weekends, so I just get off at saladang and ride the MRT all the way around. all of the various stations are only about one or two clicks apart, so it's not like you cant jump off the train and get on a motorcycle taxi and get to another station. Certain stations are always busier at certain times. If I am around the siam area, and am going home, I just walk over to national stadium and get a seat, even if I have to wait one train during rush hour. 

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

So then what are you complaining about? Personally, I consider both transit systems to be the same, since both can get me where I want to go. For example, I can bypass silom by getting off at saladang and switching to the MRT and picking up and BTS again if I want in Asoke. I know the BTS sucks around mo chit on weekends, so I just get off at saladang and ride the MRT all the way around. all of the various stations are only about one or two clicks apart, so it's not like you cant jump off the train and get on a motorcycle taxi and get to another station. Certain stations are always busier at certain times. If I am around the siam area, and am going home, I just walk over to national stadium and get a seat, even if I have to wait one train during rush hour. 

Very good post.

Instead of complaining, you use common sense and know how to work the entire system to your advantage.

Some people seem to forget there is an MRT in Bangkok.

28 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Very good post.

Instead of complaining, you use common sense and know how to work the entire system to your advantage.

Some people seem to forget there is an MRT in Bangkok.

They are designed to be used together IMHO. As are the boats. The bottleneck is usually Siam. Lets say you feel like going to Chinatown from Asoke (where all the rich cool folks live who have "everything" there). MRT to Hua lamphong and 600 meter walk. MRT to Sala Daeng, BTS to Saphan Taksin, boat to Rachawongse, 600 meter approx walk. BTS to Siam, Siam to Saphan Taksin, boat to Rachawongse, walk. Obviously, most of the time you will MRT to Hua Lamphong.

Want to go to the Winter Fair in Dusit? BTS Siam, 5 minute walk, boat to Pfanfa, and from there, you are about a 1.5km from everything in the old city. 

If I want to go to Icon Siam I can walk (2.5km or so), take a MC (60 baht), BTS to Krung Thonburi and walk, BTS to Sapan Taksin and boat and so on.

Now after 7ish, the boats stop running, nevetheless, if you run AGAINST the traffic you can even travel comfortably during evening Rush hour. Thats why living in Sukhamvit sucks, because you cant run the entire way against the traffic. What I mean is at 5:30, from any direction on any line in Asoke, you are "outbound". Meanwhile, its 5:30, Im hungry, I want to go to Siam, coming in from Thonburi Im inbound. I bet ya dollars to donuts if you live in On Nut, come 5:30, inbound, you wont be in an Tokyo train till you hit Phrom Pong.

Now I dont commute, thank Gawd. But lets say I need to something boring and silly like go to Chang Wattana at 8am. Go to BTS Talat Phlu, if the first train is sardined out of Bang Wa, well the next one wont be and Ill get a seat or prime standing room. Switch to outbound at Siam and home free.

I dont mean to say that the trains arent overcrowded at times and I would hate to commute. But a little route planning goes a long way, you basically are about 2km from a station anywhere you are at. its all in the planning. Playing hide the pickle with some chick in Bangkapi. Finish before 11 and cab it to Hua Mak ARL or Lad Phrao MRT, 100 baht.

I wish they ran the trains later. 

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

BTS. Read the topic.

And you are on permanent vacation here. You can pick and choose how to take your transport. A lot of people don't have that choice.

Then a lot of folks should have planned better for the commute. Working around Siam? Better live there. Working at Mo Chit, Phaya Thai, Ari? Live North or NW of Siam. Working in Asoke or Thong Lor or Ekkamai? Live right on top of your work or hey, walk a little bit. Working in Huay Kwang. Live south. There is a solution to every problem. You can live by the San Saeb and catch the boats, or the river.

I chose Thonburi because I dont commute "in" and rarely rush hour "out". Even "out" in rush hour the train empties at Central Pier for the boats. Its all good here.

Clearly, you yourself have never taken transit in a major city before like NY, London, Moscow, Tokyo or Toronto where the services suck even more during rush hour.

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Then a lot of folks should have planned better for the commute. Working around Siam? Better live there. Working at Mo Chit, Phaya Thai, Ari? Live North or NW of Siam. Working in Asoke or Thong Lor or Ekkamai? Live right on top of your work or hey, walk a little bit. Working in Huay Kwang. Live south. There is a solution to every problem. You can live by the San Saeb and catch the boats, or the river.

I chose Thonburi because I dont commute "in" and rarely rush hour "out". Even "out" in rush hour the train empties at Central Pier for the boats. Its all good here.

Clearly, you yourself have never taken transit in a major city before like NY, London, Moscow, Tokyo or Toronto where the services suck even more during rush hour.

So, you expect Thais to buy condos in prime real estate areas so they can just get to work?

If people were so privileged I'm sure they wouldn't need to work.

2 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

So, you expect Thais to buy condos in prime real estate areas so they can just get to work?

There are plenty of places for Thais to live near where they work, as I am sure a lot of them do. I sure bet they know the system better than anyone else if they are using it. But,  Are you concerned about Thais, or expats, or what? Or just complaining because you are unhappy here and unhappy there. For gods sake Man, if the train is too crowded at 6pm, go have a cup of coffeee and girl watch for an hour.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"His nic should be a guy from another universe".

What?  If your nonsensical comment is suggesting that I seemingly "don't dance" with the majority here then that is correct and something that I will be eternally grateful for.

I was talking about the OP 

15 hours ago, fruitman said:

There were huge queue's at the ticket machines saphan taksin 4 hours ago. And we were there after waiting in a super long queue at Icon Siam to get the boat to Sathorn pier, had to wait 4 boats before we could board...took 45 minutes so don't go there...

The free shuttle boat is not the BTS! 

Get a loaded Rabbit card if you find the ticket machines too much to deal with, you have a bloody choice, you know?

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

BTS. Read the topic.

And you are on permanent vacation here. You can pick and choose how to take your transport. A lot of people don't have that choice.

How does anyone not have the choice of which transport system they use?

39 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Where did Thais come into this thread?  The Thais aren't the ones who are complaining, it's you doing all the moaning!

38 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Where did Thais come into this thread?  The Thais aren't the ones who are complaining, it's you doing all the moaning!

It's a forum with yet another insignificant internet topic that will be lost in the continuum. I wasn't moaning, just observing. 

And if you think I'm moaning, then why are you moaning about it?

20 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

It's a forum with yet another insignificant internet topic that will be lost in the continuum. I wasn't moaning, just observing. 

And if you think I'm moaning, then why are you moaning about it?

You're right, it is an insignificant and meaningless topic but you started it, so why did you bother?   Clearly it wasn't an observation, it was a whinge.

My comment to you was not a moan, it was a question (one that you were unable to answer), there's a big difference.

Just to remind you what you posted here's the relevant your OP; if the highlighted parts are not moans then I don't know what would be.

"...Get up those BTS stairs in scorching heat. [Moan]

Wait 10 minutes to get a ticket.   [Moan]

If I'm unlucky get stopped by "security" to check bag. [Moan]

take 5 minutes to figure <deleted> I'm going because it looks like they changed the tickets and made stations graphics really tiny on ticket monitors. The MAP in the back of the ticket is literally unreadable now.  [Moan]

Wait for the train, but often I can't get on the first train because of the crowds, so I have to wait for the next one. Last night, for example I managed to get on the 4th train.  [Moan]

Disembark, walk like an invalid because of the crowds [Moan] then go down stairs".

So, four words of observation, six paragraphs of whinging!

On 12/28/2018 at 9:07 AM, smutcakes said:

Its a great system which i use multiple times a day across the busiest times and line going to and from work and around the city. I rarely if ever have to wait for a 2nd train. I am a grown up with common sense so make decisions like going 20 minutes earlier or later if i suspect its going to be rammed, like its raining on a Monday morning. Not complicated just common sense possessed by most adults, aside from a few on this forum.

The people who claim to be waiting for 3-4 trains etc are straight up lying, unless there has been a mechanical or an 'incident' on the track.

Its a MASS transit system in a huge mega city, its going to be busy, i presume these people whinging also complain about Tokyo, London etc etc

Anyway the OP is trolling anyway, and is obviously a desperately sad and lonely individual, i can see why tbh.

Pretty strong statement that needs a little tempering. I usually get on at Onnut and can attest to having to wait 3-5 trains many times. The new extension has added an amazing amount of riders.

6 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Pretty strong statement that needs a little tempering. I usually get on at Onnut and can attest to having to wait 3-5 trains many times. The new extension has added an amazing amount of riders.

I assume, but hopefully @Crossywill wade in, that since the extension is now free, they are just starting their evaluation of potential ridership and schedule additions and tweaks. Once they start charging, Im sure the evaluation will continue 

I use Asoke and Nana as I live half way and NEVER had to wait more than 1 train. Your

I shop at Tesco and never had to miss a train at all at on nut

If i knew the busses to use during the day i would so its BTS and MRT when im there...simple enough solution is to buy i think they call a rabbit card or met card as we Victorians in AU call it...load it up no queuing very simple indeed, i normally top up when its not busy so no waiting...

As for the over crowded trains sometimes you just cant escape it i tend to move about off peak if down town hang back and have dinner then go back to my condo...its not hard to work out.. 

I rode rush hour once last week and once this week. 

The first time it was inbound from Asoke at 5:30. Had to stand to Siam. Got to Siam, let the first train from National Stadium go, was first in line for the next one, got a seat and rode to Thonburi on my butt.

Second time 6:30 pm. Inbound from Phrom Pong. Let the first one go past (not because I had to, but its always worth a shot to get more room), hopped the second, nice and roomy, got off at Siam, the platform was packed, left the station and walked 5 minutes to National stadium (with a smoothy break), got the second train out and rode to Thonburi comfortably

Archived