Sticking it to foreigners - ice cream company backs down after "Thais only" promotion

webfact

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

just shows how blatantly racist thais are

not all countries on earth are trained in the doctrine of political correctness. there are thai agreements that would seem unfair to non usa citizens ie; amity treaty

Gelato is more expensive to make than ice cream and therefore usually commands a higher price than ice cream. However franchise or otherwise the reply does not make me want to rush to their store and buy. Think I will stick to the ten baht KFC vanilla ice cream .. Actually not a bad product and does not have as much overrun as it could.. Overrun = as much air into it as possible !!!( I have a diploma in moology)

5 hours ago, Bucko said:

I have seen special priced Promotional Domestic flights  a few times ---for Thai only --  started to book one before I spotted that I did'nt qualify ????

Can you be more specific about the airline and the situation? You search for prices online and get them before they know what your nationality is. I've never had a promotion price disappear once I've given my nationality.

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Similarly AIS are running a free accident insurance offer at the moment, a couple of restrictions, age between 21 and 70 and Thais only! 

They can't afford to offer it to foreigners since they are always "accidentally" falling off of balconies.

Saying the sign was printed in Thai, 'well, because we are in Thailand' is pretty lame. English is supposed to be an official language in Thailand, I believe. It certainly would help the people to learn English better if international companies also used English alongside Thai so that Thai people can become more familiar with the language in everyday use. The inability to communicate internationally will continue to hold Thailand back until they take education seriously.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, it wasnt a good idea .

Someone made a mistake , the mistake was pointed out and the mistake was rectified .

We can now all go to the ice cream shop and get our second ice cream at a 50 % discount .  

I think you didn’t read the announcement from the shop. They didn’t sincerely apologize. They basically said: “Racism is okay, because 95% of our customers are of that race. So next time we will just disguise our racism better to avoid the negative PR.” 

I am not a Thai-basher at all; I love many things here. But this dual-pricing racism is just disgusting. Imagine Thais would have to pay 10x in Europe and the US. 

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Of course many people running businesses here would follow the official government line of the Thai national parks service: foreigners can be charged 5 times what Thais are expected to pay.

They can stick their national parks up their Khyber Pass.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

The new Google translate can translate thai online for you....just aim the camera on the thai script and it will instantly translate it...also works with Thai and japanese now.

They should be embarrassed at their inability to spell Translate. ????

Very sad. Whomever wrote that sign should be fired for sure. The Thais themselves should also express their concern, however I feel the country is so xenophobic now there is little chance of that. 

Just imagine if this sign were written in a more developed country, absolutely disgraceful. 

Should not judge a whole nation on the actions of 1 or 2 individuals but i can't help feeling it just confirms the attitude in the country that seems to be inside many Thai people.

In my opinion, Thais in general are very racist.

Never been colonised. Are they sure. History paints a different picture.

Farang, as we are annoyingly called, are simply a means to gain finance. Extortion. 

How would Thais like to be referred to as Asians?

It doesn't take that much to see the obvious.

1 minute ago, GAZZPA said:

Should not judge a whole nation on the actions of 1 or 2 individuals but i can't help feeling it just confirms the attitude in the country that seems to be inside many Thai people.

Your comments above ring a thousand truths.

It seems that Thailand has completely lost touch with the rest of the world and is heading in a frightening direction. Never mind, we can't change them, their education system has implanted a false sense of superiority that can never be re-wired. 

Way to long in the tooth for any way back now, let them sink or swim on their own. Time for foreigners to keep hold of their money instead of investing into a system that doesn't respect them

KP.

1 minute ago, nickmondo said:

having lived here now 4 years, again, and again, I see examples of what parasites these people are! 

obviously, not all can be tarred with the same brush, there are a few exceptions. 

I wont be here much longer.

yes, I hear you.........shut the door on my way out....bla, bla, bla.

suits me to live here a little while longer.

After all, they are good for a few things.......

...there are a few exceptions.... name a few please

Archived