Sticking it to foreigners - ice cream company backs down after "Thais only" promotion

webfact

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Stop your crying .

Don't take it personally .

They give free samples away so that people will buy it next time , many foreigners are here as tourists and they will not be around to buy that item again, so, they are just wasting their product by giving it to people who will not be buying one in the future

Methinks you assume too much.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Stickhouse is a franchise operation so I suspect that the decision to limit the promo to Thais only was actually made by the franchisee and not "staff". And of course the brand name itself cant really be held responsible for actions taken unilaterally by one franchisee.

I don't like racism towards me or others...

Stickhouse is already operating out of 96 locations across 17 countries  and is looking to entrepreneurs who are excited to take advantage of made in Italy concept.

Thanks, but 'no thanks' Stickhouse! You can stick your products into your racist a**es, in 96 locations across 17 countries! ????

7 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Been here 17 years. I am not a local?

Of course not, you will always be falang beginning with a small "f". Whatever gave you the idea that you would be considered a local. You can't own land, you are restricted from many types of work. Your are a nobody.  Take a good look at your "temporary" visa stamped in your passport. 

59 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Wow. All this hate because some didn't get their ice cream.

Why are Thai Visa posters staying here still?

No idea, personally I hate dual pricing (except for government funded stuff) and just avoid places that charge different for foreigners. This just shows a racist attitude, but not one that i encounter often. It certainly would not be a reason for me to leave the country. 

19 minutes ago, Crossy said:

They're getting it well stuck to them on their FaceBore page too, including a link to this thread (No, I didn't put it there).

EDIT Stickhouse World are getting a bit of a thrashing on Reddit too.

i also mailed it to their website that they will never ever get any money from us.

17 minutes ago, bizboi said:

To me job advertisements that are for “Thai nationals only” are ore of a concern - but surprise surprise the law backs that one -shame our laws on advertising don’t do the same for western Nationals!!

As you said, the lawback backs it (for reserved professions only). Until that changes, nothing else will change. BTW, how many Thai architects actually are there? The law cannot be observed while it's so stupid... 

7 hours ago, carmine said:

And they wonder why tourist ain't coming here anymore!!????

Just part of an accumulation of reasons.  

Correct. Accumulation of blatant racism and a ‘milk as much as possible’  attitude finally pissed off tourists. 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

To celebrate the launch of our ICONSIAM location, we decided to offer a "buy 1, get 50% off your 2nd gelato" promotion. The promotion banner was printed in Thai because well, we're located in Thailand. Please keep in mind, local patrons make up almost 95% of our business. Most of whom, Thai is their native language.

"For Thai Customers Only" was printed in big, bold, English letters.  So the mealy-mouthed 'apology' isn't really an apology.

30 minutes ago, Phredd said:

Who in their right mind, or indeed left mind, would eat Thai Ice-Cream?

I do,

I like the 5 or 10 baht cone with Rice and ice-cream topped with crunchy bits. Aroy. :licklips:

Oops,

Did I just say something nice about Thailand, must stop drinking so early. :giggle:

This type of thing is only a microcosm of the real problem: xenophobia. ""they got more money, so let's take it."  I don't mind paying more to visit the Grand Palace or any of the other attractions in Thailand. It is simply not an issue with me. I care more about the attitude of the Thai government that we are a cash cow to be milked until there is no more milk, then invited to leave.

I'd like to see a company in any western country pull a stunt like that - the uproar and backlash would be heard around the whole world. I can just read the headlines now "this nationality and that nationality are Nazis/white suprimists, etc."

4 hours ago, tagalong said:

Whats new?  I had a Tops card, when I presented at check out the lady said, you get 100 bht discount pro...Oh great I said...Than she said...sorry it is only for Thais!

The amount qualified on card but being ex teach etc, was discriminated against....So now I do not shop there...Thailand will always be third world....

My wife, a five-feet-ten-inch farang, has a Tops card and gets the same discounts as Thais.

2 hours ago, maprao said:

Deliberate; publicity is publicity. With out this it would never have received the publicity it has got now. I'm reading about their offer thousands of miles away when I am out of Thailand...

Very smart marketing 

somebody once said... bad publicity is better then no publicity

Is this really any different than the over charging  farangs at the majority of attractions here in Thailand. State Parks, Some Temples, Tiger Zoo, Zoo in Bangkok the list could go on and on. Thailand should be ashamed of the practice of over charging tourist.  Its not just Ice Cream.

Archived