Sticking it to foreigners - ice cream company backs down after "Thais only" promotion

webfact

31 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

This is small beans.  On your next hotel booking, let your wife or gf inquire about booking a room at a hotel reception.  Then walk up and make the same room request/inquiry.  Non Thai pricing...is rampant and obscene.  My wife (Thai) is even disgusted by the ridiculous gaming going on

I am utterly convinced that since 2014, Thailand has been stuck in a time warp. They seem to be going backwards every day. All progress has been stifled and toleration of the farang is at an all time low.

They seem to be going in the direction of North Korea. Next stop, Pyongyang.

KP.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, KhunProletariat said:

How can you justify this one, sanemax?

Do you think that is acceptable in 2018?  

Thrill me with your acumen.

KP

Yes, it wasnt a good idea .

Someone made a mistake , the mistake was pointed out and the mistake was rectified .

We can now all go to the ice cream shop and get our second ice cream at a 50 % discount .  

14 minutes ago, KhunProletariat said:

I am utterly convinced that since 2014, Thailand has been stuck in a time warp. They seem to be going backwards every day. All progress has been stifled and toleration of the farang is at an all time low.

They seem to be going in the direction of North Korea. Next stop, Pyongyang.

KP.

You feel that Thailand is turning into a North Korean style dictatorship......................because one ice cream shop in Thailand didnt give foreigners a 50 % discount on their second ice cream ?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

You feel that Thailand is turning into a North Korean style dictatorship......................because one ice cream shop in Thailand didnt give foreigners a 50 % discount on their second ice cream ?

it's his opinion and he has the right to it.... you have the right to yours

When I managed one of my small hotels at Phuket Airport some years ago, I used to charge walk-in Thai guests more than foreigners, about 10% more.  If they asked why, I would explain that the hotel was really designed for foreigners (whatever that means LoL).  None of the Thai guests refused to pay the extra 10% - they all stayed and were happy.

As to the real reason why I charged them more?  Nothing more than my warped sense of humour...... ????????????????????????

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If this was an isolated incident then no, I wouldn't feel that way.

But it is far from an isolated incident. Thailand is bursting at the seams with Anti Foreigner Sentiment and I am sick to death of it. Foreigners bring hoards of money into this country and help out when the Thai is in need (Tsunami, cave boys etc)

A bit of damn respect is well over due. Their attitude towards us is despicable and is in need of urgent adjustment.

KP.

7 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Really? On which planet?

Last I heard Pattaya city hospital and Queen Sirikit both charge a supplement for non-Thais.

Here in Phuket they have double pricing in the hospitals infact we have a good friend who works for an insurance company and she has all the prices and the difference between Thai and Farang, years ago BUPA had a Thai policy only

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Apart from hospital costs are the same for everyone , Thais and non Thais

Yes, of course hospital costs are the same for everybody - to repair (e.g.) a broken leg costs the hospital the same for Thai or foreigner. It's the price demanded from foreigners that is higher than the price for Thais, in many hospitals. 

Just now, MartinL said:

Yes, of course hospital costs are the same for everybody - to repair (e.g.) a broken leg costs the hospital the same for Thai or foreigner. It's the price demanded from foreigners that is higher than the price for Thais, in many hospitals. 

Just get your Thai Wife to say that its her leg ?

5 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Nah, foreigners have longer legs - need more plaster.  Larger lungs - use more oxygen. Eat more food too.

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Racism is Alive and Well in Thailand. 

... and anywhere else you may think of.

I say the promo is nationalistic rather than racist because it excludes people from neighbouring countries who may be the same race, just a different nationality. Either way it is unpleasant, though in Thailand not illegal.

16 minutes ago, champers said:

... and anywhere else you may think of.

I say the promo is nationalistic rather than racist because it excludes people from neighbouring countries who may be the same race, just a different nationality. Either way it is unpleasant, though in Thailand not illegal.

It is illegal because it makes Thailand look bad

Business which practice Thainess should be avoided .

In 99% of cases it is possible and easy, even in the case of

national parks.
One day Park in Krabi 10 times as much and crowded..so no thanks.
The next day a beautiful park near Trang at the ocean...just drive in

and sit on the beach.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I dont know about internal flights as I never take them but when hotels do special offers here they usually apply them to anyone with a Thai driving licence. I certainly have benefited from such offers on occasions.

Of course many people running businesses here would follow the official government line of the Thai national parks service: foreigners can be charged 5 times what Thais are expected to pay.

Whats new?  I had a Tops card, when I presented at check out the lady said, you get 100 bht discount pro...Oh great I said...Than she said...sorry it is only for Thais!

The amount qualified on card but being ex teach etc, was discriminated against....So now I do not shop there...Thailand will always be third world....

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Similarly AIS are running a free accident insurance offer at the moment, a couple of restrictions, age between 21 and 70 and Thais only! 

LOL I needed a belly laugh. NOTHING is free there are strings attached with any free offer, but the target audience lack analytical skills so no harm done to us aliens.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Stickhouse is a franchise operation so I suspect that the decision to limit the promo to Thais only was actually made by the franchisee and not "staff". And of course the brand name itself cant really be held responsible for actions taken unilaterally by one franchisee.

The most amusing thing for me is that if you Google "Stickhouse Thailand" the top two results currently read: "What a rip off. Three ice creams on a stick cost us 13 American dollars."
Presumably that customer didnt get the special offer either.

Of course the franchisee can be held responsible if they were the ones actually responsible.... but I suspect promotions are done and approved at the franchiser level and will discount the price for the participants.  In either case, it was the business.... not staff... that would have made the decision... they are just trying to deflect blame.  If a franchisee damages the brand their franchise agreement can be terminated / not renewed.

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

And if you are not quite sure AIS have an English translation to confirm the Thai only offer!

The new Google translate can translate thai online for you....just aim the camera on the thai script and it will instantly translate it...also works with Thai and japanese now.

2 hours ago, KhunProletariat said:

How can you justify this one, sanemax?

Do you think that is acceptable in 2018?  

Thrill me with your acumen.

KP

Oh come on!

We have to be thankful, that it took the epic time of 4 pages, for defenders of all things Thai to crawl out from under their bridge!

2 hours ago, KhunProletariat said:

The Thainess is strong in this one.

KP.

In France are promotions written in french, in Germany in german and in Spain in spanish. No problem when Thais write in thai. But what I expect is, that when I buy 2 ice creams I get the 50% for the second one automatically too without pointing on the ad.

Archived