Now it's foreigners riding motorbikes on the footpaths - in the Thai jungle!

webfact

Now it's foreigners riding motorbikes on the footpaths - in the Thai jungle!

2pm1.jpg

video screenshot

Following recent criticism of Thais riding on the sidewalks in the cities comes news that a group of foreigners have been using a historical nature trail for off road riding.

A video on Facebook was accompanied by a storm of criticism for the foreign tourists after they were shown using the route up to Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai on Christmas Day. 

The abbot of Wat Palat - one of the temples on the route in the Doi Suthep - Pui national park - has called for the authorities to clamp down and for renters of motorcycles to tell tourists where and where not to ride. 

Phra Khru Theerasutphot said one of his relatives took the video - they had never seen this before on this pathway. 

He said it was a historical path used since ancient times by pilgrims wanting to get to Doi Suthep. 

Both Thai netizens and foreigners on the path itself condemned the riders for their inappropriate actions.

The video found its way to the Sangachaiwong page on Facebook.

The nationality of the foreigners was not reported. After they were forbidden from proceeding they reportedly went back the way they came.  

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-28

off course the Thais would never ride on the footpath or on any forest trails normally used by walkers!!!!!!!!

when I lived in Hua Hin, could not use the cycle lane safely due to the amount of the moronic locals riding their little motorbikes on them, normally with about 4 people on board.

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Are there any signs telling people they cannot ride motorbikes on those paths (large signs with big crosses on motorbikes stating riding not allowed )if not how can you stop them .

Signs or no signs, the Moto X riders will ignore all the laws. And I can tell you from experience that at least 50% of these riders are Thai Nationals.

2 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

This isn't just a farang past time. Let's not pretend the Thais aren't at it too. 

The Thai do pretend just that.

Not one complaint ever, but now.....farang!

It is probably not realised by the Thai people the foreigners are good for bringing in a lot of money into the country, giving millions of people jobs and bringing a lot of export for Thailand.

The title is misleading. There is only a small group of foreigners doing that who have to be stopped. It is not a bunch of taxi drivers doing that on a daily basis. Or like the motordrivers do on a bicycle road near my home or where bicycle roads are permanent parkings for car-drivers.

Just a stupid one time thing and then make such a "sensational" story.

1 minute ago, Thaijack2014 said:

The title is misleading. There is only a small group of foreigners doing that who have to be stopped. It is not a bunch of taxi drivers doing that on a daily basis. Or like the motordrivers do on a bicycle road near my home or where bicycle roads are permanent parkings for car-drivers.

Just a stupid one time thing and then make such a "sensational" story.

right. there is no evidence provided to support the headline. the facts are that three foreigners were seen riding motorcycles, one of the particularly unsuccessfully, on a jungle track somewhere in thailand.

500 Bahts fine, Wai live on TV and, of course, THB 10000 in a brown envelope.

But frankly, I used to do a lot of hiking in my previous life, and was getting mad at the downhill MTB idiots using the hikers space, as well as the life threatening 80Kg "Patou" sheepdogs. Actually it was very much like Thailand.

41 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

But frankly, I used to do a lot of hiking in my previous life, and was getting mad at the downhill MTB idiots using the hikers space

Probably the MTB riders had similar thoughts about the hikers. Is there a written law somewhere that that space belongs to a certain group of the community?

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

Probably the MTB riders had similar thoughts about the hikers. Is there a written law somewhere that that space belongs to a certain group of the community?

Yep, downhill MTB is restricted to specifiy areas.  Easy to understand as these guys come down at 80-100kmh is a space where two hikers passing each other have to watch their steps. Same for the sheep dogs, shepherds are meant to keep their herds away from the walking trails.  

10 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Is there a written law somewhere that that space belongs to a certain group of the community?

At least for national parks (the mentioned area is in a national park) Thailand does indeed have a law which says something like vehicles are only allowed on paved ways.

Looking at the provided photograph, I find it impossible to distinguish whether the riders are Thai or non-Thai.  Why suddenly are non-Thais being targeted when Thais have, no doubt, been doing the same thing for a long period of time without Thais voicing any complaints?  Just found and watched the video.  The third rider appears to be a complete beginner and void of experience.

'nuf sed

Archived