Actors "600 baht" walk in Chiang Mai ends in whitewash for red taxi mafia

webfact

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

I do feel that its wrong to call them a "mafia"

"Mafia" means a crime family and these guys work driving cars

Try setting up a taxi service in direct competition.

While the word 'mafia' in this context is grossly overused, particularly by farangs in Thailand, there are so many aspects of public transport in Thailand (motorcycle taxis, songthaews, taxis) throughout the country that have aspects also found in organised crime that the word has come into use.

4 hours ago, cmsally said:

Don't forget that many of the drivers do not speak Bangkok Thai so well, it is not impossible therefore that there was a misunderstanding.

<deleted>! if two Thais can' understand each other then no tourist has a hope in hell!

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Try setting up a taxi service in direct competition.

While the word 'mafia' in this context is grossly overused, particularly by farangs in Thailand, there are so many aspects of public transport in Thailand (motorcycle taxis, songthaews, taxis) throughout the country that have aspects also found in organised crime that the word has come into use.

We are talking about these red songtaews in CM .

There have been numerous buses recently introduced in CM (yeah of course , they are mafia run as well ) and uber and grab have recently been introduced (yeah, they are mafia run as well) which complete with the songtaews .

Yes, the songtaews did try to protect their business (without success) , but that hardly warrants the mafia label .

Sorry. Sounds like horse-pucky to me.

When I'm quoted an absurd price for a short ride, I usually reply, in Thai; "What?!?!? 500 baht to go two kilometers?!??!" To which the driver can reply; "Oh, sorry. I thought you wanted to go to XYZ. That's only 450 baht," which I'd refuse anyway, and call for a Grab taxi for 62 baht. I have a strong feeling that the Thai actor's Passa Thai is probably a LOT better than my YMCA 10-lesson Passa Thai, and would have been able to discuss it with the driver to a mutual understanding, regardless if the driver was uneducated and from a small farm in Isaan and the Actor from Bangkok. I've listened to Selor drivers ask Chinese tourists for 500 baht from Thapae Gate to Kad Suan Kaew more than once.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

had misunderstood the driver. He said he wanted to go to Doi Suthep Road to do some shopping and the driver thought he wanted to go to the temple of Doi Suthep that is much further. 

It took a three hour meeting to clarify that it was Suthep Rd instead of Doi Suthep?

Is it any wonder then that, after 30 years of marriage, Mrs T and I have no clue what the other is on about around half the time?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The "rot daeng" mafia in Chiang Mai have been exonerated after a famous Thai actor admitted a "misunderstanding".

So, why is the Daily News still using the pejorative term, 'Mafia" when referring to the 'rot daeng' drivers?  I would think that unless it can be proven that the drivers are comprised of a union of mafia members, then whoever wrote this article would be libel for defamation.

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

1 kilometer away from Doi Suthep road , 33 kilometers away from Doi Suthep temple

Um, it's only 23 kilometers from Laphun to Chaing Mai and every time I bicycle up to to the temple it's only about 12 or 13 kilometers.

So are you saying he was flagging down his taxi in Lanphun?  600 Baht is a normal fare from the city to the temple??? THAT"s highway

robbery.

A very Thai solution.

The accuser chickens out, because he is alone and can't gang up with his mates. The rot daeng mafia have him outnumbered and cowering in a corner.

A wai to the cameras to save face, no corruption or mafia in Thailand, and all is back to normal in the land of smiles.

• 10 months later...
On 12/28/2018 at 11:31 AM, colinneil said:

Bit of a silly comment, as even the media were banned.????

• The media was banned, that emphasizes that your comments are just your over the top wild assumptions:
  •  
  • "What a load of BS.

He was told to say that, as his comments were not good for the image of Chiang Mai.

The governor ordered him to say it was a misunderstanding, or else off you go for attitude adjustment. "

•  

On 12/28/2018 at 10:53 AM, roo860 said:

I'm struggling with this distance, I'm very close to Ibis hotel at the Phucome intersection with the canal rd, I've cycled to the temple and it's about 9km.

You're right, difference between Suthep road and Doi Suthep temple is 13Km not 33Km.

Fare to Suthep road, 20bht, fare to Doi Suthep temple is 40bht.

So 60bht not 600bht.

I believe that he was quoted 600 baht as he was rich Bangkok actor - it is a 'mafia' in CM and they are unaccountable.  I also believe the actor got indignant/offended and over-reacted by posting on facebook.  Either way, the issue was raised and appropriate actions will now take place.  No - I dont mean the authorities will stop such practices ????  I mean that people will now be more aware of the scammers in CM ????

Another episode of Thai misunderstanding even in their own vernacular, and 3 hours of meetings to assuage the unscrupulous Red Truck driver etc. Haha it is just getting worse here by the day seriously, something has changed meteorically in CM in the last few years, it really has, I cannot place my finger on what it is, probably because whatever it was has been stolen, lol.

The best that driver could do is take the guy to the foot of Doi Suthep and drop him where he has to get onboard one of the trucks that are designated to take a minimum of 4-pax up to the Temple for 600baht (200b ea.).....misunderstanding.....????

On 12/28/2018 at 9:12 AM, GuestForLife said:

The fact that they do not understand each other is not a news, but I still tend to believe that it was a scam.

You can go to the night market on any given Sunday and hear these dirt bags charging Chinese 500b+ to go from Thapea to Nimman.

When they decline the dirt bag drivers then yell the price down to other drivers so they all know what to charge. It’s disgusting and happens right in front of the police every Sunday.

Archived