Jump to content
BANGKOK 23 February 2019 16:01
Sign in to follow this  
djayz

Lawyer for family court in Nakhon Ratchasima

Recommended Posts

My partner and I have a young child together and I'm on the birth certificate as being the father, but because we aren't married, I'm not recognized as being his legitimate father. I'm looking for a lawyer in Korat who can help us petition the family court and have me recognized as his legitimate dad (he's 16 months old by the way). I was quoted Baht 50,000 for a lawyer in the city, but that strikes me as being extremely expensive (I may be wrong of course, as I have zero experience with lawyers here in LOS, and this may be the standard, going rate). Can anybody recommend a lawyer or give me a ballpark figure of what the fees usually are?

Much appreciate any advice or suggestions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need an expensive lawyer for this type of thing.

I paid 10,000 baht for a run of the mill lawyer to do my sole child custody case. It was 4 years ago now so it might have gone up.

Ask your partner to ask around.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In what way are you “not recognized as the legitimate father”. Please excuse the question but I was on the Thai birth certificate of my, now, 7 year old son for the 5 or so years before we married and it didn’t hinder anything, passport, other legal and school  documents

just wondered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Even IF you're not wrong.....a farang NEVER wins in the LOS.

Good luck!

That's not true .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Patriot said:

In what way are you “not recognized as the legitimate father”. Please excuse the question but I was on the Thai birth certificate of my, now, 7 year old son for the 5 or so years before we married and it didn’t hinder anything, passport, other legal and school  documents

just wondered

Understand. The primary reason is, I want to apply for a non-imm visa based on having a child here. For this, the birth certificate isn't sufficient evidence that I'm his old man and therefore I need the family court to "legally certify/recognize me" as the father (bureaucracy, go figure).

In addition to this, if anything should ever happen to his mother (heavens forbid), then I don't have a clue what would happen (if, for example, I tried taking him out of the country). 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need a lawyer.

 

It is quite a simple process and can be done by yourselves. The only time I would suggest the use of a lawyer was if there was  dispute between parents.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 4:57 PM, djayz said:

Understand. The primary reason is, I want to apply for a non-imm visa based on having a child here. For this, the birth certificate isn't sufficient evidence that I'm his old man and therefore I need the family court to "legally certify/recognize me" as the father (bureaucracy, go figure).

In addition to this, if anything should ever happen to his mother (heavens forbid), then I don't have a clue what would happen (if, for example, I tried taking him out of the country). 

 

Agh. Understood. 

I agree with Dilligad and Jip on using Isaan Lawers, good set/up. ( Sorted my Will out as well)

Re your son, I managed to acquire a UK birth certificate during his second passport process. That would help in your final paragraph. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Patriot said:

Agh. Understood. 

I agree with Dilligad and Jip on using Isaan Lawers, good set/up. ( Sorted my Will out as well)

Re your son, I managed to acquire a UK birth certificate during his second passport process. That would help in your final paragraph. 

Thanks. He has both his EU (Rep. of Ireland) and his Thai passport. 

Next time I'm back home, I'll look into the possibility of getting him a birth certificate. For now though, he just has his Thai birth cert. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Even IF you're not wrong.....a farang NEVER wins in the LOS.
Good luck!

I won 2 court cases against a Thai Finance company but it cost me big-time under & over the table.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, djayz said:

Thanks. He has both his EU (Rep. of Ireland) and his Thai passport. 

Next time I'm back home, I'll look into the possibility of getting him a birth certificate. For now though, he just has his Thai birth cert. 

Hi again. An agency in Ploenchit sorted out the UK Birth Certificate. I’ll PM their details if you’re interested 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...