Best New Tablet.

NoshowJones

Personally I wouldnt have an Apple product as a gift. Once bought you never stop paying for it, and repairs are expensive. I would always choose a phone or tablet that uses Android OS.

I think it is unwise to discount Chinese brands as even if you buy Japanese or Korean the odds are the device will have been made in China, probably by the same factory that makes the Japanese and Korean ones (and the Apple ones for that matter).

For 6000B you arent going to have much to choose from though. What size screen do you want, and what will you be doing with it?

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Personally I wouldnt have an Apple product as a gift. Once bought you never stop paying for it, and repairs are expensive. I would always choose a phone or tablet that uses Android OS.

I think it is unwise to discount Chinese brands as even if you buy Japanese or Korean the odds are the device will have been made in China, probably by the same factory that makes the Japanese and Korean ones (and the Apple ones for that matter).

For 6000B you arent going to have much to choose from though. What size screen do you want, and what will you be doing with it?

I understand there is a Lenovo about 6000 Bt, I found out from someone just after I posted this. I am not too fussy about screen size, and it will mainly be used for watching movies and listening to music while traveling on a bus or train.

You have put me off the idea of a s/h ipad now.

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

having had two samsung android tablets, happy with the first not so much with the second, when i came to buy my first smartphone three months ago i followed friends' advice and bought an iphone 5 - nothing flashy, i have to say the performance of the iphone blasts the android tablets any day. they are expensive in comparison so maybe that's partly what you're paying for.

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

aving had two samsung android tablets, happy with the first not so much with the second, when i came to buy my first smartphone three months ago i followed friends' advice and bought an iphone 5 - nothing flashy, i have to say the performance of the iphone blasts the android tablets any day. they are expensive in comparison so maybe that's partly what you're paying for.

I've heard similar comments from people who have bought Apple computers instead of PCs. My response to them was the same: is it reasonable to compare a cheap device of one brand with an expensive one of another? Spend the same amount on a non-Apple product and it will probably work better than the same price Apple product.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

You have put me off the idea of a s/h ipad now.

The problem with used things, especially phones and tablets, is that they have a limited lifespan and that particularly applies to the battery. Repairing Apple products usually costs much than repairing a similar non-Apple products.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I understand there is a Lenovo about 6000 Bt, I found out from someone just after I posted this. I am not too fussy about screen size, and it will mainly be used for watching movies and listening to music while traveling on a bus or train.

Sound quality will depend more on the headphones you use than on the tablet itself, so that can probably be discounted.

For watching movies etc you really arent going to tax the thing at all, so I would concentrate more on screen quality and battery life than anything else.

A Lenovo might be OK. I would also consider a Huawei Mediapad though the latter are usually either a thousand Baht or so above your budget or a couple of thousand below it.

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Sound quality will depend more on the headphones you use than on the tablet itself, so that can probably be discounted.

For watching movies etc you really arent going to tax the thing at all, so I would concentrate more on screen quality and battery life than anything else.

A Lenovo might be OK. I would also consider a Huawei Mediapad though the latter are usually either a thousand Baht or so above your budget or a couple of thousand below it.

No more Huawei for me, I have a Huawei smartphone, it has been good apart from one thing.

It will not let me download music from Youtube where every other device I have had has never been a problem. That tells me it is the phone and not me. You always give me lots of good advice, and I just want you to know it is appreciated.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

No more Huawei for me, I have a Huawei smartphone, it has been good apart from one thing.

It will not let me download music from Youtube where every other device I have had has never been a problem. That tells me it is the phone and not me.

It seem unlikely to me that the phone itself would be preventing this. I suspect that you just need to install some sort of app that will do it.

You might like to look here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=android+download+from+youtube

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

It seem unlikely to me that the phone itself would be preventing this. I suspect that you just need to install some sort of app that will do it.

You might like to look here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=android+download+from+youtube

I already had Tubemate, then I read somewhere that it was discontinued, so I checked it and it was.

I have had many different types of tablets over the years. Hate to say it, cannot beat an Apple iPad. I just bought a new one with an iPen as I do a lot of cartoon work. Fabulous bit of kit. 

Generally, if you buy anything from a larger Chinese name brand, you will do okay. Just make sure you look at the screen resolution (get the highest you can afford at that price point). Having good headphones make a big difference to the whole experience as well if you are listening to music or movies/Netflix.  

9 hours ago, Will27 said:

I've got a Huawei mediapad and am very happy with it.

You could do a lot worse than this one.

Has a 10 inch screen.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/huawei-t310-96-1-i220714225-s336585738.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.67.36207c4bKsGtmD&search=1 

Thanks, but my Huawei smartphone would not accept downloads. Everytime I try this notice comes up "This device has either stopped responding or has been dis connected". That is the reason I will never again buy any Huaweis.

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The problem with used things, especially phones and tablets, is that they have a limited lifespan and that particularly applies to the battery. Repairing Apple products usually costs much than repairing a similar non-Apple products.

there is a booming non apple repair community with fair prices and often more competent than official apple service.

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

It will not let me download music from Youtube where every other device I have had has never been a problem. That tells me it is the phone and not me. You always give me lots of good advice, and I just want you to know it is appreciated.

Download the music on the PC you gave to yuor wife then transfer to yuor Huawei. If you just want the audio, convert it using VLC...free app.

I have various brand tablets and prefer the Microsoft Surface line.  I have an old Surface 3 (not surface pro 3, the previous year's model) which works well and streams full-screen to my Samsung TV using a mini display port to HDMI adapter unlike any of my iPads.  Just be sure to get at least a 128 SSD in it.  Also, unlike an iPad, it has an arrow to let you backspace over text to fix your typing mistakes.  With an iPad, it's a nightmare placing the cursor where you need it to be.

42 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks, but my Huawei smartphone would not accept downloads. Everytime I try this notice comes up "This device has either stopped responding or has been dis connected". That is the reason I will never again buy any Huaweis.

I have a Huawei nova 2i, and there are no problems with downloads from YouTube. Or are you referring to copyrighted material that youtube itself won't let you download :Don't think other brands will allow you to do that? 

33 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Download the music on the PC you gave to yuor wife then transfer to yuor Huawei. If you just want the audio, convert it using VLC...free app.

I have a PC of my own. Anyway, that's the problem, I have downloaded music on to every device I have had and had no problem, but my Huawei will not accept downloads.

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have a PC of my own. Anyway, that's the problem, I have downloaded music on to every device I have had and had no problem, but my Huawei will not accept downloads.

So download and convert onto your PC, as mp3s. Put them all up on Google or One Drive, and they are available any place any time any where (Martini). Or you can transfer mp3s via USB onto your Huawei. Sorted.

Or if you want full albums, download via BitTorrent. Rod Stewart, Rick Astley nd Sir Cliff all new albums are very good. McCartneys I passed on.

9 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

I have a Huawei nova 2i, and there are no problems with downloads from YouTube. Or are you referring to copyrighted material that youtube itself won't let you download :Don't think other brands will allow you to do that? 

Nothing to do with copyrighted material, would not even let me download Tubemate. There is no problem with my old Asus tablet.

Archived