No more fleecing of tourists on Koh Samui, deputy governor tells media after taxi fare scandal

rooster59

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/30/2018 at 3:44 PM, evadgib said:

I'm wary wherever newbies or the 'low post count' brigade magically appear in order to trash the island whenever an opportunity arises. There are some extremely valid points in this thread but what's missing is the ease by which the long term community (& therefore their guests & regular visitors) are able to bypass the bear-traps and enjoy living here.

Re Taxis; During a fundraiser in Lamai yesterday for Samui Govt hospital organised by the Hash it was heartwarming and something of a surprise to see Taxi & Songtaew drivers happily throwing money into the buckets along with everyone else.

Just my 2p.

And just what does that tell you?

22 hours ago, mogandave said:

Face Book, must be a factual account...

Update posted by his GF today:

Okay. So let me get this clear. I’m his gf and I was there. I had one drink the whole night. So I have a pretty clear view of this all. We went to the police station yesterday after being in the hospital till 6am. They police were super helpful. They took us to the scene and viewed camera’s. The eventually had to call the big “manager” of the songtoaw and they knew the driver. We went back to the police station. The guy eventually came with his wife. They told the police that I weren’t even there and that two thai chicks were involved too. Which is not true. They asked if we want to make a case against them because I also got kicked in my head while trying to protect Jay Jay while he was laying down on the ground and they just kicking him. We said no we only want them to pay the medical bill which was 6000baht. We could’ve made a complete different case and probably get him arrested but we weren’t interested in it. So no, the media is lying he didn’t get arrested. Jay jay and the drive had to pay 1000baht police tax each but because the drive was in the wrong he had to pay. So at the end of the day he had to pay 8000baht. Then this morning we woke up with it being on the news with a different story. They don’t show any picture of Jay jay being hurt, and the one they show is one where there’s a little blue mark, but on the other side of his body where he got hurt really bad they don’t show. Only show the thai drivers two elbows. They don’t bother showing Jay jays elbows, or his neck or bum erea. They have all the evidence but won’t show the photos where he bruised.

If Jay Jay was in the wrong, why would we in the first place go to the police station and make this such a big deal. It all got sorted and they shook hands so hopefully this all comes to an end now. Just saying don’t believe the thai news because it’s 100% not the truth. They covering up a lot. 

And for everyone who said the police won’t do anything. I can honestly say this was resolved within a day and more then 18 police people from everyone helped. And bought us food while waiting to see the CCTV footage.

On 12/29/2018 at 4:56 PM, mogandave said:

Americans tip...

Anyone who has to rely on tips for a living is either being 'ripped off' by the boss or are working for below accepted or reasonable wage rates, from what i hear this is commonplace in America thus the payer is subsidising the boss in his wage payments. Australians do not tip because the working person must by Australian law be paid at least a basic wage set by government, however, this wage in most instances will be above the set rate, influenced by competition.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:27 PM, terryofcrete said:

Bangkok Air need to be sorted out first ! Stupid rip off prices and a monopoly on flights because they own the airport. 

I believe almost anybody can fly to Samui, but the landing & handling fees are too high. I am told that this is why Thai Air pulled out.

On 12/31/2018 at 1:23 PM, Jiggo said:

Always used the "Catamaran'' link from the mainland, longer but cheaper than BAir.. 

I only used the Catamaran once, really not much quicker than Seatran which unlike the Cat i do not feel like flying cattle class with most airlines. And above all it cost me BHT600, compare that with Seatran.

17 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

OMG What a stupid comparison.

Why,s that? You suggest gov sanctioned high prices to certain destination, lack of competion, few other options but by air,high demand etc. ! But you seem to be the expert going by recent posts tonite so I,ll wait for your next OMG response!

Anyone who has to rely on tips for a living is either being 'ripped off' by the boss or are working for below accepted or reasonable wage rates, from what i hear this is commonplace in America thus the payer is subsidising the boss in his wage payments. Australians do not tip because the working person must by Australian law be paid at least a basic wage set by government, however, this wage in most instances will be above the set rate, influenced by competition.

The money for the staff has to come from the customer regardless of how they get it.

In the US, the customer has more control over how well the staff performs.

Archived