No more fleecing of tourists on Koh Samui, deputy governor tells media after taxi fare scandal

rooster59

2 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Do they have Grab in Samui.....

Yes they do and a local service called Navigo which is spot on and much cheaper without any negotiations. Stopped using the rude and cheating Taxis ever since the service came online. Not sure why people don't vote with their fares and use people that offer fair and good service.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this really happens maybe they wished they stayed on the mainland now the highest meter bill will be 500 baht around the whole island but that never going to happen so only 50 to a 100 baht trips thats what it will cost for most rides tourist take a taxi for ???????????? only minivans for the tourists coming in by airport for the rest motorbikes 

Sorry, but I've just noticed this in the post:-

"Suthipong Khlai-udom told Manager that cabs will use the meter in future :cheesy:and never again will a tourist be ripped off.:cheesy:

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Laughable really. The story makes it seem as if this was just an isolated incident, when in reality ripping off tourists seems to be the nations favourite pastime. There seems to be a gradual recognition that people are going elsewhere because of their behaviour, but to make up for the shortfall, you can expect these greedy folk to look to sting those remaining for even more.

The statement that tourists will never again be ripped off, is almost as stupid as the behaviour that prompted the intervention.

And what is just as stupid is that he expects people to believe him - bit like "borrowing" numerous expensive watches from a friend who can't be contacted to verify it because he is no longer with us mortals!

Also have to agree with the following comment:- "but to make up for the shortfall, you can expect these greedy folk to look to sting those remaining for even more." The bog standard Thai bar owner/mama san comment when asked why their beer prices are so high compared to the one down the road that is doing a comparatively brisk trade is "Because we have no customers". I call it Thai "anti-logic"!

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But some regular taxi drivers were taking advantage of the situation in the same way and not turning on meters and fleecing tourists with huge fares. 

In all the years I visited Samui, not once did a taxi driver turn on a meter. 

The taxi situation on Samui will never get resolved. They have had decades to work on this. Suthipong Khlai-udom should just admit the taxi mafia on Samui are far more influential and powerful than him, the army, Prayuth and all others. The army came in four years ago and tried. The truce lasted two weeks. 

All this is, is a weak and very transparent attempt to save face after another incident has gone viral. The southern islands are nearly lawless. Always been that way. 

On 12/29/2018 at 10:12 AM, darksidedog said:

Laughable really. The story makes it seem as if this was just an isolated incident, when in reality ripping off tourists seems to be the nations favourite pastime. There seems to be a gradual recognition that people are going elsewhere because of their behaviour, but to make up for the shortfall, you can expect these greedy folk to look to sting those remaining for even more.

The statement that tourists will never again be ripped off, is almost as stupid as the behaviour that prompted the intervention.

You only get ripped off if you are brain dead no <deleted> way will this happen to me ☝????

7 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The least that tourists should expect is that drivers be properly dressed and polite when they rip-off, cheat and lie to passengers. 

Scammers are known to be usually well dressed and polite to portray a benign image before they pounced. 

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The taxi situation on Samui will never get resolved. They have had decades to work on this. Suthipong Khlai-udom should just admit the taxi mafia on Samui are far more influential and powerful than him, the army, Prayuth and all others. The army came in four years ago and tried. The truce lasted two weeks. 

All this is, is a weak and very transparent attempt to save face after another incident has gone viral. The southern islands are nearly lawless. Always been that way. 

They have their own tuft laws. Each provincial strongman ( mafia warlord?) follow their own interpretation of the national laws. Similar to the period when the southern provinces of China defy the orders from Beijing. 

2 hours ago, sahibji said:

Alas the curse of too much democracy and the complete lack of understanding of democracy and complete selfishness and fear of competition and free trade. operators have to learn how to take the heat when doing business 0r else get out of it.

Eer... this is THAILAND ! With the state of current national education and a strong pulse of the elites on the economy , there is little incentive to innovate ... they are happy with the current status quo. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why would the do that? 

It it would involve effort & they may end up catching people resulting in more effort & paper work...  

.....And for what? Making life easier for people who don’t even live here & who will Just go home after spending their money. 

...it makes much more financial sense to keep the taxi mafia payoffs coming in and keeping those in local positions of power ‘pleased’.... 

Maybe the two main tourists island hotspots ( Phuket and samui) are seriously feeling the heat of low arrivals in the peak season and realized that something need to be done? Before the last nail into the coffin ? Maybe the regular tourists finally realized that there are better deals in the neighboring countries with a more welcoming attitude? And less scams.? 

2 hours ago, Jackin1960 said:

I blame the tourists in part as they allow themselves to be taken for suckers. It takes no time to google up and find out some facts on Thailand it's culture prices and ways to get about with costs. Then when you arrive you should know what money you have in your hand and what to expect to pay for a taxi if you must take one. I like to use Baht bus but I always ask the price 20 to 30 Baht ok more then it must be well out of town.

Except that if it's necessary to research how not to get ripped off at a vacation destination, many tourists will feel it's better to choose another destination where they feel that won't be necessary.

33 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

They have their own tuft laws. Each provincial strongman ( mafia warlord?) follow their own interpretation of the national laws. Similar to the period when the southern provinces of China defy the orders from Beijing. 

I think you are right. I hear there are about five families that control Samui. Also five gangland families on Dark Tao. Samui seems to be pretty well run. The taxis probably pay tribute to the local families. The government has no control at all. None. Dark Tao is completely out of control. 

They have been fleecing people for 10 years that I know of personally. That sign seems way higher than I recall though. A baht bus from one end of Chaweng's main road to the bottom would cost you 300 baht per person (1/2mile, maybe). I know the Svarmabhumi Metered Taxis are back to their old tricks; now asking 1,600 baht to Pattaya. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I think you are right. I hear there are about five families that control Samui. Also five gangland families on Dark Tao. Samui seems to be pretty well run. The taxis probably pay tribute to the local families. The government has no control at all. None. Dark Tao is completely out of control. 

I was warned by Thais, 15 years ago not to go to Koh Tao.

I was teasing a Thai friend at one point and told him I'd pay for his entire vacation to join us, he told me adamantly, that he would not go there. When a Thai turns down something for free, you know there is a problem.

10 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The least that tourists should expect is that drivers be properly dressed and polite when they rip-off, cheat and lie to passengers. 

Upon a time a taxi driver told my wife to make an 400 thb price (this way usually is about 50 to 60!). He told her to cheat out this farang & offerd to share with her!

This idiot ignored that I understood somehow & my wife translated each single word (also my smiling response to properly smash his ugly face).

The end of the story:  payed only 35 bath. And yes: sure my wife got angry on me, not him! "How could I dare to threaten an Thai!"... bla bla bla... 

Well, nowadays she's only an "Ex"... & not a bit better than this taxi guy! Lol

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

No more fleecing of tourists on Koh Samui, deputy governor tells media after taxi fare scandal

It's just struck me, I know where I've heard a very similar phrase before - the Monty Python Bruces sketch:

Rule 2: No member of the faculty is to maltreat the Abos tourists in any way whatsoever—if there's anyone watching.

When will someone in the government wake up 

its been going on for years and will never change 

but the worst rip off is the thai government keeping the thai bht to high the exchange rate is killing tourists that is why no high season this year Thailand is half empty 

A nice PR placebo tablet.

From the official side, it is still demonstrated how to rip off tourists.

The tourist only needs to go to a national park. 500% - 1000% higher admission prices for tourists. 

And Thailand is surprised that less wealthy and informed tourists come?

The Chinese with their pre paid tours and the indians who share a beer with 4 people is what they get now.

Many small thai shops, restaurants and bars will soon have to close if the thais continue to ripp off Tourists. 

This short-term thinking is deadly. If repeat visitors are not made out of first-time visitors, then these customers will not come back, and will be lost forever.

And these rip off taxi drivers with 4 years of elementary school think that they are clever. They do not understand the harm they cause to themselves and to others in the Tourism Industrie in medium to long Terms.

5 hours ago, meinphuket said:

It always takes the media and social media to highlight everything that is wrong, its never salaried, proactive officials. Anyone with reasonable eyesight can see these rip off artists' signs, so I wonder why those in charge of Samui can't, or just don't want to.

The final words in your post seem about right to me!

Archived