No more fleecing of tourists on Koh Samui, deputy governor tells media after taxi fare scandal

rooster59

Yet another "problem solved" by the "quick-acting" deputy gov. Quick meeting, some instant coffee and laughs, secretary writes "success story" and sends to the pr department, who pass it on to the news media, who print the "good news" word for word.

And this same story, along with countless others about: road safety, raw sewage pumped into the ocean, there was no rape, lifeguards are on patrol, etc. etc., repeat themselves over and over, year after year, only the names are different.

Do a google search it's plain as day - they do nothing and lie about it to "protect" their tourist dollars. And they have been doing it for decades.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The governor needs to implement signs placed everywhere including in all people transport vehicles that gives a hotline number along with the rules.  This sign states this in multiple languages.  The signs in the people transport vehicles are issued with the drivers taxi permit and shows a number for use by the public to identify the permit holder.  If signs are removed from the vehicles then they lose their taxi permits permanently.  This would be one way to help enforce taxis using meters and abiding by the laws.   Of course we will probably see pigs flying overhead before this logic is employed; because, well, as stated by many of the other posters here, this has been going on for a very long time and because the taxis are told to do it, it doesn't make it so for very long.  Continuous enforcement of the laws is the only way to break this cycle.

10 hours ago, Jackin1960 said:

I blame the tourists in part as they allow themselves to be taken for suckers. It takes no time to google up and find out some facts on Thailand it's culture prices and ways to get about with costs. Then when you arrive you should know what money you have in your hand and what to expect to pay for a taxi if you must take one. I like to use Baht bus but I always ask the price 20 to 30 Baht ok more then it must be well out of town.

On Samui the Baht bus to Lamai cost 60 Baht if you just hand over the cash but if you asked it was 100 Baht. Blaming the tourists is like saying it is the girls fault she got raped because she was wearing a short skirt. Some tourists make it easier for the taxis but they don't "allow" it. I would love to see what Americans do about the tip when asked for $50 for a trip that should have cost $10. 

I had friends on holiday in Thailand. Everytime they took a text they had to argue and were cheated. It was not a pleasant experience. Upon their departure from Thailand I did ask them when they would be back. They said not sure they will come back. The felt unhappy with being cheated. Perhaps a taxi driver thinks it is only a 50 or a 100 baht, but now the country will loose hundred thousands of baht because these tourist will not come back, and they will not recommend Thailand for holidays. 

The population would like to  government to step in really seriously. 

nothing will change i lived on samui for 2 years , taxi are complete rip off they will not comply turning meters on, the whole country is corrupt led by corrupt governments and public service from top to the bottom Thais favourit sport is ripping of tourist , better to go to Vietnam , viet food is lot better than thai, beer price, hotels, beches,transport, same price for all , not 1 price for locals and another price for tourist  .. i left thailand and moved to vietnam easy acces visas if u want buy house, car, motor bike, start a business work permits dont have to be married to a local 

9 hours ago, Cobby said:

When will someone in the government wake up 

its been going on for years and will never change 

but the worst rip off is the thai government keeping the thai bht to high the exchange rate is killing tourists that is why no high season this year Thailand is half empty 

"Hey, let's keep the exchange rate high and screw these tourists", you think they discussed something like that? It is complete nonsense, if they could they certainly would do something about it and they have no interest in keeping the THB higher. Monetary policy is not just a switch you can turn and all the right things happen.

3 hours ago, Mad mick said:

nothing will change i lived on samui for 2 years , taxi are complete rip off they will not comply turning meters on, the whole country is corrupt led by corrupt governments and public service from top to the bottom Thais favourit sport is ripping of tourist , better to go to Vietnam , viet food is lot better than thai, beer price, hotels, beches,transport, same price for all , not 1 price for locals and another price for tourist  .. i left thailand and moved to vietnam easy acces visas if u want buy house, car, motor bike, start a business work permits dont have to be married to a local 

time to move to the Viet forum then mate. 

"Thais are killing tourism because of greed".

Not just taxi drivers:

220 baht ATM fee. No fee in Taiwan or Malaysia, I was there recently.

200 baht national park fee, and most walking trails in bad condition. Free in Taiwan.

It is so easy for Thais to rip off tourists, they are soft targets. And then it is so easy for the tourists to tell their friends and they all decide not to go to Thailand. This is happening.

Thailand is a rip-off from start to finish, whether it's taxi rides, fake goods, over price food & drink or tours... or even national parks... tourists are starting to vote with their feet as resorts are starting to find out!!

This practice has been going on for years, i seen this for over 20 years.

now its getting worse with songthews now trying to charge the same as the taxis, instead of doing their job at 50bht in the day and 100bht at night as always, When customers question the price they get angry, with an i don't care look, many more stupid farang coming , stupid Thai arrogance .

Then Bangkok airways is the worst with fares of 10,000bht one way this week, why would you come here.

The few that do come, try renting scooters with no licence or any idea of how bad the roads and lack of road safety or international road codes the locals have. Then they get carried to the Bangkok Hospital, were they will do nothing without  insurance or deposit 

(were not most insurance companies dont cover scooters)  also at ridiculously over priced fees.

How will this ever change:

Bangkok airways , the government  need to cap the fare its the same distance to phuket as its to samui. so charge a distance rate.

Taxi & Songthews. Undercover passenger farang & thai,  voice and video recording,  then ban them for not using the meter or the standard fare.

Bike /scooter, fine the rental company for not checking the licence. Roads will be less busy and safer,

Police checks are good but focusing on the not the main issues. Check licence. Helmets. Is Ok , but Also bike /car conditions. No lights at night  so dangerous  . Kids on bikes ( take the bike off them).. 

Samui rant over.

3 hours ago, Muayboy said:

This practice has been going on for years, i seen this for over 20 years.

now its getting worse with songthews now trying to charge the same as the taxis, instead of doing their job at 50bht in the day and 100bht at night as always, When customers question the price they get angry, with an i don't care look, many more stupid farang coming , stupid Thai arrogance .

Then Bangkok airways is the worst with fares of 10,000bht one way this week, why would you come here.

The few that do come, try renting scooters with no licence or any idea of how bad the roads and lack of road safety or international road codes the locals have. Then they get carried to the Bangkok Hospital, were they will do nothing without  insurance or deposit 

(were not most insurance companies dont cover scooters)  also at ridiculously over priced fees.

How will this ever change:

Bangkok airways , the government  need to cap the fare its the same distance to phuket as its to samui. so charge a distance rate.

Taxi & Songthews. Undercover passenger farang & thai,  voice and video recording,  then ban them for not using the meter or the standard fare.

Bike /scooter, fine the rental company for not checking the licence. Roads will be less busy and safer,

Police checks are good but focusing on the not the main issues. Check licence. Helmets. Is Ok , but Also bike /car conditions. No lights at night  so dangerous  . Kids on bikes ( take the bike off them).. 

Samui rant over.

Here in Phuket the bike rental companies are getting fined for renting without a license, cars also I should have added 2000 Baht the guy told me

18 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Why do people still go to that shithole??

Frequent "visitors" and "longtime" Samui lovers coming less and many told me, they're not coming back, because they can compare,

and see the ongoing change to the worse in recent years

The "Newbies" get fooled by shiny brochures, "Paradise" tales and bargain package deals.

10 days, in a (so-called 4* Hotel) from Europe (incl. all Transfers) about 1200.- Euros (This shows the real booking situation of the resorts. Not the TAT Fairy-Tales).

Even most of the "real 5* Clubbers" might come only once. They can find 5* all over the world!

As long as they stay inside the "Ghettos", it's ok, but if they get out...

No reason to come back to get scammed, on an island, that is drowning in traffic, garbage, unfinished construction, and noise pollution.

The is the price of the new "Spend 5000.- Euro/week in a resort, and then Fxxx off" policy.

The Chinese are heading to Japan already.

Who is the next target?

India or Mongolia?

Just arrived at Samui Yesterday. I speak semi ok Thai and asked to go to Lamai beach. The taxi driver acted like I was speaking In tongues. I showed him the beach on google maps. No, no, no don't understand. I then asked a Thai ladie in Thai the same thing and she told him again Lamai, Lamai. He just shrugged his shoulders and drove off. Away I got another taxi and he sort of knew where it was and eventually got there.

But today after hiring a motorbike to do a booze and cigarettes run to the local shop I got pulled over by a line of 10 policemen. Had to pay 500Baht fine.

So, it's a great place to come Samui. Loving it here!

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm wary wherever newbies or the 'low post count' brigade magically appear in order to trash the island whenever an opportunity arises. There are some extremely valid points in this thread but what's missing is the ease by which the long term community (& therefore their guests & regular visitors) are able to bypass the bear-traps and enjoy living here.

Re Taxis; During a fundraiser in Lamai yesterday for Samui Govt hospital organised by the Hash it was heartwarming and something of a surprise to see Taxi & Songtaew drivers happily throwing money into the buckets along with everyone else.

Just my 2p.

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

I'm wary wherever newbies or the 'low post count' brigade magically appear in order to trash the island whenever an opportunity arises. There are some extremely valid points in this thread but what's missing is the ease by which the long term community (& therefore their guests & regular visitors) are able to bypass the bear-traps and enjoy living here.

Re Taxis; During a fundraiser in Lamai yesterday for Samui Govt hospital organised by the Hash it was heartwarming and something of a surprise to see Taxi & Songtaew drivers happily throwing money into the buckets along with everyone else.

Just my 2p.

So they donate money to charities do they? The taxi mafia. So that makes ripping off tourists alright then does it? More likely it's them asking the almighty for forgiveness for their sins.

You know as well as I do what really goes on in Samui :-

Taxis frequently spot you before you see them, and you'll once in a while stroll far along a street before a taxi backs off and either yells or signals to check whether you need a ride. Taxi drivers rarely used the meter – they realize passengers have little clue of the going rate. So they seize the opportunity and take you on a mystery tour. Which ends up with the foreigner forking out a fortune of his or her hard earned dosh.

Just my 800 baht.

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

Just my 2p.

If I stash up the revenue from tourism, I'm also responsible for the garbage disposal. More Trash Bins would be a "cheap" start, instead of stupid signs, like "Do not letter". 
Or waiting for the "Farang Garbage Heroes" to clean the beaches.
The tale of the "everything polluting tourist" is ridiculous and the typical local "Blame-Game"!

That the "Feeling-Elite-Long-Term-Community' is not running into the "Bear- or Beer-Traps" makes business not better.
Some members of this "Wannabe-Elite", even expecting "Resident-Discounts". Lol

Everywhere, shops, bars, restaurants are for rent, or for sale.
The main reason: No customers (the reasons are obvious), but inflating rents by greedy landlords (Pay double, or get out)

In every corner of the island, you can rent, buy (???) land, "Luxury Villas", already rotting, or one of the 10000 new ones under construction. 

"Donations" by the crooks is part of the system, not only in Thailand.

No, Samui doesn't need tourists, like "beg"-packers, "low post counts" and so on! Only "5* Clubbers" and the "Long-Term-Community" are "pushing" the Samui economy,

by hiding in their "Ghettos" and avoiding "Bear-Traps".

If they do not, they should be happy for being scammed. 

well I might be a newbie here but have been to Koh Samui twice now this year, back in June and I just got back from there last Saturday and agree about the taxi drivers, it was much cheaper for me to book the hotel bus (Nova Samui Resort at the side of Lake Chaweng not far from Central Festival) and coming back from places I used the NaviGo app because at least then I knew the price before the journey

Just because someone is new here it doesn't mean they are lying.

Such a pity that a lot of ex pats one meets over there are curmudgeons, you'd think they'd be a bit more friendly with living somewhere like that

edit: Jim and the guys in the Bees Knees Brew Pub and The Welcome Inn are nice fellas, The Black Duck, ok but not my bag

Having a re-think about my original post and I suppose it's not the local taxi drivers fault that they charge a bit extra for a ride. Everything must be more expensive for them also. Having to pay extra for fuel, living expenses and pay off the local bib and the bloke who lets them taxi for a business on this exclusive island. A bit like why stuff is cheaper at your local market than the same stuff sold in a posh shopping mall.

As for my rant on charitable donations, also below the belt. Anyone who uses their free time to help those not so well off can't be that bad.

I think maybe old age is kicking in faster than I expected and I'm beginning to turn into the moaning old man that I left the U.K to get away from. Moaning about everything and saying "It wasn't like this in my day" and "in the good old days". 

Sheesh, I'm turning into Victor Meldrew off 'One foot in the grave'.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, terryofcrete said:

Bangkok Air need to be sorted out first ! Stupid rip off prices and a monopoly on flights because they own the airport. 

Always used the "Catamaran'' link from the mainland, longer but cheaper than BAir.. 

15 hours ago, hawksway said:

Why can they not copy the system in Pattaya and use rhe Baht Bus. This would encourage much greater use by Staff and Tourists, greatly reducing road accidents, congestion and pollution - a sensible result for everyone! 

Approx registered populations (Thai only?)

Pattaya   320,000

Phuket   370,000

Samui      62,000

KPN         12,000

Koh Tao     1,200

As one can see, we are not comparing like with like.

its all a case of too little too late, a day late a dollar short.

For what its worth they might as well carry on letting tourists get fleeced because that is but an accumulation of reasons why they just ain't coming.  Bad news travels through social media, and through rank stupidity this place has allowed itself to bear a significant brunt of it.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:19 PM, tukkytuktuk said:

Having a re-think about my original post and I suppose it's not the local taxi drivers fault that they charge a bit extra for a ride. Everything must be more expensive for them also. Having to pay extra for fuel, living expenses and pay off the local bib and the bloke who lets them taxi for a business on this exclusive island. A bit like why stuff is cheaper at your local market than the same stuff sold in a posh shopping mall.

i agree but i would say 'a bit extra' is maybe bumping the 50 baht 'meter' charge to 60 or 70 baht not turning it off and demanding 3500.

From FB

Last night on chaweng beach road I was attacked by a song tao driver and a clan of scooter taxi drivers. He wanted to charge me 800baht to drive from chaweng to maenam. I simply laughed at how ridiculous his offer was and said no and suddenly he got out his car and started to fight me, immediately after I was lying on the ground getting jumped by around 5 scooter taxi drivers including the song tao driver, they continued to kick and punch me even whilst I was in no way trying to defend myself and was lying on the ground. As soon as it was over they all vanished into thin air just before police arrived. I eventually was picked up in an ambulance and taken to the hospital for x-rays.

Security cameras were there and they captured the whole thing, my question is what are the chances that the police actually do take legal action against them and what are possibilities of them being accountable for paying my hospital fees. I do not live on the island but my friend who does told me how the police can be quite incompetent in situations like these.

From FB

Last night on chaweng beach road I was attacked by a song tao driver and a clan of scooter taxi drivers. He wanted to charge me 800baht to drive from chaweng to maenam. I simply laughed at how ridiculous his offer was and said no and suddenly he got out his car and started to fight me, immediately after I was lying on the ground getting jumped by around 5 scooter taxi drivers including the song tao driver, they continued to kick and punch me even whilst I was in no way trying to defend myself and was lying on the ground. As soon as it was over they all vanished into thin air just before police arrived. I eventually was picked up in an ambulance and taken to the hospital for x-rays.

Security cameras were there and they captured the whole thing, my question is what are the chances that the police actually do take legal action against them and what are possibilities of them being accountable for paying my hospital fees. I do not live on the island but my friend who does told me how the police can be quite incompetent in situations like these.

Face Book, must be a factual account...

Archived