Airport rip-offs: Thieves stealing from bags and 60 baht for an egg targeted

rooster59

Airport rip-offs: Thieves stealing from bags and 60 baht for an egg targeted

maxresdefault.jpg

Image: Channel 3 TV news

Channel 3 TV news reported that the Thai ombudsman and airport authorities were touring Thai airports yesterday promising to safeguard tourists falling victim to theft and experiencing rip-off prices for food.

General Withawat Ratchatanan was investigating with AoT officials and was pictured at Suvarabhumi.

Following a spate of thefts from loaded luggage at the airport it was reported that the number of CCTV cameras had been increased from 700 to 1,600.

Background criminal and work history and drugs checks on staff had also been upgraded. 

Some three million tourists are expected to come to Thailand through the airports at New Year. 

The ombudsman also found that several restaurants were flouting pricing regulations. 

What amounts to a national dish - krapao moo or chopped pork with basil over rice - was being sold for 225 baht.

Such a dish might cost about 40 baht on the street. 

Also a plate of plain rice was being sold for 55 baht and an egg cost 60 baht. Such items might be ten baht outside the airport. 

The authorities promised to ensure that operators were sticking to the rules regarding pricing. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-29
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dodgy taxi operators are still prevalent at Swampy despite assurances they are required to use the meter.

Just recently I was quoted a price to the City. I refused. A week later another driver was a little more polite and circumspect and asked if I wanted him to turn on the meter. I said yes.

I think your comparison with street food prices is unfair. If you compare use prices of restaurants. A Pad Kapau Moo Kai Dao costs 60 at street, 100 at a small venue and 120/150 at restaurants. Added high rent at Airport 225 sounds reasonable. On the other hand compare exorbitant prices at European airports!

11 minutes ago, ryane66 said:

Bait luggage and undercover police could end this problem.

Time,effort and work will put a stop to that good idea.feet up in an air conditioned office watching a few screens is the way Thais work.

58 minutes ago, Wallander4 said:

Some of the reasons why Svampy is a low level airport and never will be in top 10

Except that food is sold at ripoff prices in airports everwhere - easily including USA.

I see that others in this thread have already cited Australia and Europe.

Thailand/Swampy will actually be advanced beyond other world airports if they hold vendors to non-outrageous pricing.

53 minutes ago, Wallander4 said:

Some of the reasons why Svampy is a low level airport and never will be in top 10

Another reason is the very crappy smoking rooms, on Changi they are absolutely perfect but Singapore is the place to be for rich farangs.

Just now, JimmyJ said:

Except that food is sold at ripoff prices all in airports everwhere - easily including USA.

On Schiphol i ate a big nice english breakfast (full monty) for 10 euro which is 370 baht now....i had a nice table for myself, kind waiter, all high quality and no cheap crap on my plate. And there were loads of heavy armed securities around....

10 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Another reason is the very crappy smoking rooms, on Changi they are absolutely perfect but Singapore is the place to be for rich farangs.

I was told that a previous PM ordered those smoking rooms, quantity and quality as being an ex-smoker and nervous flier he knew how others felt pre-flight and a ciggy can help some to relax a bit.

Archived