Airport rip-offs: Thieves stealing from bags and 60 baht for an egg targeted

rooster59

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

Another reason is the very crappy smoking rooms, on Changi they are absolutely perfect but Singapore is the place to be for rich farangs.

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

I was told that a previous PM ordered those smoking rooms, quantity and quality as being an ex-smoker and nervous flier he knew how others felt pre-flight and a ciggy can help some to relax a bit.

There's a smoking room at the lowest level, Gate 1A on every wing ( 8 smoking rooms?) of departures. Never been to an airport with as many. Also a smoking room  (or 2) in arrivals before you turn left to immigration. Don't think I've seen a smoking room in arrivals anywhere else either.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

There's a smoking room at the lowest level, Gate 1A on every wing ( 8 smoking rooms?) of departures. Never been to an airport with as many. Also a smoking room  (or 2) in arrivals before you turn left to immigration. Don't think I've seen a smoking room in arrivals anywhere else either.

Changi or SBK ?

1 hour ago, Nobbie49 said:

To all TV traveling cheapskates: buy yourself a Standard Plus Priority Pass. For $223 pa you will have access to 1,200 Priority lounges worldwide ( including Swampy and DM) where you can stuff your face with excellent food while getting ratarsed at the same time FOR FREE

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Several credit cards (which have annual fees) include a Priority Pass.

My Chase Sapphire Reserve originally also included unlimited guests I could bring in with my Pass for no charge.

They've changed it - I think currently only 1 or 2 others without a charge.

(Incidentally, a card which includes a Priority Pass card probably will also be a card with no foreign transaction fees).

Returning from Thailand to the US I had a stopover in LA. before flying on to my home city.

I was told the pass was only good for international flights, at least in that airport. Or there wasn't enough time for the lounge because my flight in was delayed - that happened also at one of my stops.

I was very hungry, but couldn't deal with paying the ripoff prices for LAX food that I wouldn't buy for half the price if I had any decent choices.

To all TV traveling cheapskates: buy yourself a Standard Plus Priority Pass. For $223 pa you will have access to 1,200 Priority lounges worldwide ( including Swampy and DM) where you can stuff your face with excellent food while getting ratarsed at the same time FOR FREE

You pay $223. That's not free.

7 hours ago, orchis said:

There is a very good food court Magic Food Court 1FL at regular prices at Suvarnabhumi.

Horrible "food". It's just awful. The place is usually crowded and it is difficult to find a place to sit with some of the airport staff, especially immigration personnel reserving tables  and berating farangs who try and sit down.

10 minutes ago, Spidey said:

BKK

True, but the standard and the cleanliness of the two if you compare them are worlds apart. Changi has open air areas that are pleasant to use

( if you're a smoker ???? ) SBK they are small and you get the feeling the extraction systems just don't do the job.

Why bother, just fly business class and enjoy the entire travel process. 

What's the problem? If you don't want to buy an egg for 60 baht, then don't. Eventually market forces will bring down the price of the egg. Well, that's the usual scenario. Along with all the retail space being controlled by one company (for most of Swampy's history), I suspect most of the tenants are owned by the same company so there is no fair competition.

Anyway, back to egg: If you want a cheap egg, go to airport 7/11 or Minimart. 

8 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

Some of the reasons why Svampy is a low level airport and never will be in top 10

Seems every touristic places in Thailand are trying to get the last baht out of you regardless the logic of fair pricing. Price gouging prevails. 

Singapore airport convenience store prices are not much out of the outside airport prices even though Singapore is an expensive city to live in. 

10 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The rents outside will be nowhere near what they will be in the airport and you're not getting krapao moo for 40 Baht in Phuket I dont think

Although Bangla etc and the surrounding areas are expensive for drinking...street food is reasonably priced, so although maybe not 40 Baht it wont be much more than 50...so the old chestnut of higher rent is BS....everything about that airport is a rip off from the moment you get there....suprisingly parking is fairly priced although I believe that is run seperately

From everything I've seen and read, there's little or no "baggage" theft - it's the theft from inside the bags, the contents, and it is a matter of moments to split the zip, go  through the contents, remove anything that feels small and heavy like a camera or computers stuff, then zip the bags back up again.
Until there are security camera covering the aircrafts' holds, then it's not going to stop. It's just too easy.

11 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The rents outside will be nowhere near what they will be in the airport and you're not getting krapao moo for 40 Baht in Phuket I dont think

40 baht???  my restaurant close to my condo - 20 baht with veggies add rice 25 baht.  JomTien

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Dearest airport in the world is suvanbhumi....a Burger King meal at Changi in Singers is half what it costs at this rip off place

I reported Burger King in Swampy, and manager was fired for changing the menu to not include combos............charging one by one   -  are they still not offering combos??

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Several credit cards (which have annual fees) include a Priority Pass.

My Chase Sapphire Reserve originally also included unlimited guests I could bring in with my Pass for no charge.

They've changed it - I think currently only 1 or 2 others without a charge.

(Incidentally, a card which includes a Priority Pass card probably will also be a card with no foreign transaction fees).

Returning from Thailand to the US I had a stopover in LA. before flying on to my home city.

I was told the pass was only good for international flights, at least in that airport. Or there wasn't enough time for the lounge because my flight in was delayed - that happened also at one of my stops.

I was very hungry, but couldn't deal with paying the ripoff prices for LAX food that I wouldn't buy for half the price if I had any decent choices.

OH C'Mon the best Bloody Mary's on earth are in Zing Zang's bar in LAX (both arrival and departure lounges)........live a little, get a good drink plus celery stalks........breakfast of champions.............they throw in pork or veggie empanadas for free.

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Horrible "food". It's just awful. The place is usually crowded and it is difficult to find a place to sit with some of the airport staff, especially immigration personnel reserving tables  and berating farangs who try and sit down.

Not my experience. At All.

7 hours ago, grollies said:

Or just go business class.

Or just make yourself a few Ham, Limberger and Onion Sarnies that you can munch while on the queues, guarantees you a few seats in the departure area that you can stretch out in

14 hours ago, overherebc said:

True, but the standard and the cleanliness of the two if you compare them are worlds apart. Changi has open air areas that are pleasant to use

( if you're a smoker ???? ) SBK they are small and you get the feeling the extraction systems just don't do the job.

Changi also has new smoking lounges indoors, close to the gates with all those tree's behind the shops.

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I went to Chiang Mai via BKK.  I checked in one bag.  In an outside pocket were two packets of mints worth 40 baht.  They had disappeared at CNX?  Security might have deemed them high explosives?  Or not.

Outside pockets on checked in cases are for your 3 or 4  days worth of skiddies.

????????

23 hours ago, Aachen said:

I think your comparison with street food prices is unfair. If you compare use prices of restaurants. A Pad Kapau Moo Kai Dao costs 60 at street, 100 at a small venue and 120/150 at restaurants.

Glad i don't live where you are.

My fave restaurants with their own popular dishes are 35 - 40 baht per dish, 40-45 with the fried egg.

That includes the free iced water jug and a side bowl of the daily broth.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Outside pockets on checked in cases are for your 3 or 4  days worth of skiddies.

????????

Last trip back here from the UK, realised that I hadn't packed my Raybans so hurriedly put them in the outside pocket of my suitcase. Never saw them again. 

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Last trip back here from the UK, realised that I hadn't packed my Raybans so hurriedly put them in the outside pocket of my suitcase. Never saw them again. 

Next time find an old pair of gloves and if you can still find some of the old joke itching powder dust them inside then wrap them up nicely and stick them in an outside pocket of your case. Or even a skin dye powder inside, preferrably bright red.

Archived