Cheesy, Hammy, Eggy

billd766

A nice cool weather snack for this time of year.

I found it on a Navy website under the Submariners recipe book submitted by Chas Cooke.

CHEESY HAMMY EGGY

Ingredients

Two slices of white bread

Two slices of good ham

Enough grated cheese of your choice to thickly cover two slices of bread

Two large eggs (Hen Grenades, cackleberrys)

Cooking oil

Margarine or butter

Method

Toast the bread on both sides and then butter. Place one slice of ham on each slice of toast and cover thickly with grated cheese. Place the toast under the grill until the cheese is brown and melted.

While the cheese and toast is under the grill, heat cooking oil in a frying pan and fry two large eggs.

Remove toasted cheese from grill and immediately place one egg on each slice.

Serve hot with anything you damn well want.

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Yum. My basic food when Im tired of sticky rice etc.

I love sticky rice with mango and coconut milk (khao neaw mamuang I think in Thai) but it is loaded with sugar and not a good thing to eat if you are diabetic.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I love sticky rice with mango and coconut milk (khao neaw mamuang I think in Thai) but it is loaded with sugar and not a good thing to eat if you are diabetic.

Oh dont get me wrong, I eat Thai food 99% of the time. And Mango sticky rice is like gods gift to fat guys.

But say its 7pm and the belly is rumbling. Had a fat lunch of Pad Krapow Moo and dont feel like:

Ordering an overpriced pizza, or

Hitting the noodle lady for some soup, or

Schlepping over to the local restaurant and Eating shrimp with glass noodles, again, or

Dropping 500b on a bucket of seafood just for me, or

I am starting to look like a fried chicken, or

cooking something that will require me to wash more than one dish,

or Eating 7-11 microwave Spaghetti carbonara, so, therefore

Ham, Egg and Cheese Sarnies for me!

My method is more like Tutsis. And when I am entirely lethargic, due to all day in the sun, I buy some cheap take out from 7-11 (say Krapow Moo with egg), steal the egg, wrap the rest up from breakfast, toast some farmhouse, heat two slices of ham on a paper towel in the nuker, put that on the toast, put the cheese on top, heat the egg in the nuker, put it all together, short total nuke for softness and voila!

18 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Oh dont get me wrong, I eat Thai food 99% of the time. And Mango sticky rice is like gods gift to fat guys.

But say its 7pm and the belly is rumbling. Had a fat lunch of Pad Krapow Moo and dont feel like:

Ordering an overpriced pizza, or

Hitting the noodle lady for some soup, or

Schlepping over to the local restaurant and Eating shrimp with glass noodles, again, or

Dropping 500b on a bucket of seafood just for me, or

I am starting to look like a fried chicken, or

cooking something that will require me to wash more than one dish,

or Eating 7-11 microwave Spaghetti carbonara, so, therefore

Ham, Egg and Cheese Sarnies for me!

My method is more like Tutsis. And when I am entirely lethargic, due to all day in the sun, I buy some cheap take out from 7-11 (say Krapow Moo with egg), steal the egg, wrap the rest up from breakfast, toast some farmhouse, heat two slices of ham on a paper towel in the nuker, put that on the toast, put the cheese on top, heat the egg in the nuker, put it all together, short total nuke for softness and voila!

I like that plan. I don't eat a lot of Thai food except perhaps in the evenings if my wife cooks it.

I used to have a toaster but I think it grew legs and ran away so making toast in my table top oven takes a long while.

I often do fried bread instead of toast for the cheesy, hammy eggy and that works well. It is a comfort food at this time of the year.

13 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Wow. What a depressing thread. 

Why? Cuz there are a bunch old fat lazy old guys just digging on the basic elemental food of life? Because you yourself cant just walk out of your house and eat some Krapow until your feet get hideous and you start saying Khap reflexively, to the point where a simple ham n egg sarnie is like Manna from Heaven? You one of those poseur guys that think eating is 100 grams of white meat chicken on a plate with a sliver of broccoli and some wine sauce with a French name like Puleez avec Saucier Vin Rooooj for $100 is the heighth of food?

Nay I say! The basics! Man does not live on Rice and noodles alone!

30 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I often do fried bread instead of toast for the cheesy, hammy eggy and that works well. It is a comfort food at this time of the year.

Go the whole hog. Soak your bread in egg too. And go gourmet and spread some garlic cheese on it too. Mmmmmm, my arteries are clogging just thinking about it.

Im hungry. Off to Bangrak for rice!

I watch some you tube channels on snow camping. Same ingredients but over a fire on a skillet. Place ham and cheese {not shredded} on thick cut bread sandwich and then cook both sides until brown and cheese melted

Cook egg and open sandwich and stick it in. Perfect cold weather food. I'm toying with turning the air con on coldest here, just for effect

32 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Why? Cuz there are a bunch old fat lazy old guys just digging on the basic elemental food of life? Because you yourself cant just walk out of your house and eat some Krapow until your feet get hideous and you start saying Khap reflexively, to the point where a simple ham n egg sarnie is like Manna from Heaven? You one of those poseur guys that think eating is 100 grams of white meat chicken on a plate with a sliver of broccoli and some wine sauce with a French name like Puleez avec Saucier Vin Rooooj for $100 is the heighth of food?

Nay I say! The basics! Man does not live on Rice and noodles alone!

Actually uly I was thinking more about my toaster grew legs comments and the guys who microwave the food. 

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I love the traditional sticky rice and chopped chicken pieces with that great marinade (but I don't know what the mariade is).

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I like that plan. I don't eat a lot of Thai food except perhaps in the evenings if my wife cooks it.

I used to have a toaster but I think it grew legs and ran away so making toast in my table top oven takes a long while.

Yes to fried bread.

When i was a kid my mum kept a lard tin, all the drippings and left over small bits from roasting different types of meat and vegetables.

Often my dad would say 'I'm making some fried bread do you want some?' And of course it was cooked in the stuff from the lard tin.

Totally delicious, so simple and easy and quick. 

Yes to fried bread.

When i was a kid my mum kept a lard tin, all the drippings and left over small bits from roasting different types of meat and vegetables.

Often my dad would say 'I'm making some fried bread do you want some?' And of course it was cooked in the stuff from the lard tin.

I still do it.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yes to fried bread.

When I was in training in the RAF the cafe just outside the gate did doorstep toast and you could ask for dripping on toast as well as the other things, cheese, jam etc.

42 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sounds much the same as a Croque Madame (Croque Monsieur + egg) .

Dont ruin our food with a fancy name> Like calling a burger a Royale with Cheese

Archived