Bangkok turns into ghost town for the holidays

rooster59

Bangkok turns into ghost town for the holidays

By The Nation

423e2044583cd077e47a5aa947d71dde-sld (1).jpeg

Photos by Rachanon Intharaksa

Once or twice a year, many major roads in Bangkok will be unusually quiet and empty as you see in these pictures, which were taken on Saturday morning.

Many Thais leave the capital city to celebrate New Year with their families upcountry. And many upcountry people who work in Bangkok return to their hometowns during the festive season.

Public holidays for New Year in Thailand starts from December 29 until January 1.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30361329

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-29

14b3c37449d07f6ae313b206ee87646b-sld.jpeg

c0cd4219d122f4b28f7177f306a31d01-sld.jpeg

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

It's time to count who and how many are really Bangkok natives .

Even Bangkok natives could go to other provinces to visit relatives. Anyway it was really busy here near central Westgate in Bangyai.. too many people around.

The pics must have been around 7:02 am when many streets on a Sat morning are dead. I just went through the worst traffic in a cab about 1pm from Rama 4 past Cental World to just past Platinum mall and it was absolutely insane. I never saw traffic ever like this in BKK!!  The taxi driver was saying the same thing. The BTS is extra packed and so are the malls like Paragon. This story is complete BS.

1 hour ago, ThaiSauce said:

I am sure they are stuck in traffic on the road to Korat, which is the same way I will be driving in a few hours.  Ah damn 

Where are you going to ?

As I like to repeat , thai people don't know secondary roads which are all the year nearly totally vierge of vehicules.

I like to drive on these roads which have often a  better asphalt than main roads and nearly no other vehicles .

But also less petrol and 7/11 stations .

But if you have a truck like mine an Isuzu 3 liters and automatic gears I can do 1,200 km with the 74 liters of Go in the tank ; so no need to stop somewhere;

only to go to the toilets and drink something but never alcool, of course.

Well in my little city in central Thailand, we have many visitors from BKK or some where.  Very busy!  I never travel when there are public holidays.  Just seems silly to me, to get on the roads that are acting like parking lots.  With all of the drunks, bad driving skills and stress.  I leave my travel for when everybody is at work.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

I hear the ghost howling all day long, it's the labrador from the neighbours which they left in their garden while on holiday for many days....poor dog, i wonder if it has food and water.

water and feed it

my neighbours killed their dog this way

I noticed a few photo's saying similar things during the weekend. However, I was trying to get from Siam Paragon to Lower Suk on Saturday evening around 7pm and both the BTS and taxi queues were very busy and the roads almost at a standstill in the rain.

Archived