SSD Samsung T5

NE1

I have followed instructions to install one of these . 

I loaded High Sierra onto it and then cloned my HDD onto it.

If I press the apple button top left I get this. 941415322_ScreenShot2018-12-29at15_24_22.png.a0a172c99370e2ae44f04d5d2d4eb929.png

But the system does not appear to run any quicker. I have tried the BlackMagic speed test , select target drive , press SSD 1655531784_ScreenShot2018-12-29at15_30_12.png.77ea906e2b9c7ee5602565161af28900.png

but all I get is 1522653592_ScreenShot2018-12-29at15_07_56.png.088f3665192a2a1c5d82f6a01d31fbed.png

Have I / am I doing something wrong.

Just thinking , If I have cloned my HDD to the SSD , should I still be seeing all my folders I had on my desktop on start up.  My SSD is in the top right unopened , but i still see these and a lot more.

Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 16.56.55.png

6 hours ago, NE1 said:

Just thinking , If I have cloned my HDD to the SSD , should I still be seeing all my folders I had on my desktop on start up. 

If you cloned the drive then both drives should contain the same things, including whatever was on your desktop and all your other files and programmes and settings.

6 hours ago, NE1 said:

I followed the link , I did the restart in System pref. and I did the " option key " on start up and chose the SSD .but I still get the same results.

Oh well, worth a try.

What procedure did you use to clone the disk?

atyclb.  I have tried that , I also tried it with Mackintosh HD ( second photo , first post ) and I just get the " Read only " warning.

KittenKong. Carbon Copy Cloner .( free trial )

Do you think I would have been better installing an OS then running restore off my time machine.

( I don't know if the Time Mc carries the OS )

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

KittenKong. Carbon Copy Cloner .( free trial )

Do you think I would have been better installing an OS then running restore off my time machine.

( I don't know if the Time Mc carries the OS )

Knowing how pernickety Apple products can be, I suspect that using Time Machine would be the best way, as you say.

It's also what these people recommend:

https://www.upgradeable.com.au/pages/imac-ssd-upgrade-guide

I tried the 4 R method today , and all it did was make my SSD into another " Time Machine "

It wouldn't show as a start up disk .

Man this is doing my head in.

I have been on numerous web sites trying every which way , but none of them appear to work.

I think I must have a security / admin. something or other selected somewhere that is causing the problem.

On 12/31/2018 at 6:08 PM, NE1 said:

I tried the 4 R method today , and all it did was make my SSD into another " Time Machine "

It wouldn't show as a start up disk .

Very odd.  You did remove the original drive, didn't you?

If you did remove the old drive and the new SSD still doesnt work, try the "Fresh MacOS" method from the link I gave:

https://www.upgradeable.com.au/pages/imac-ssd-upgrade-guide#4r-macos

Hmm. Sorry, I assumed you were installing it internally as this would normally give the best results.

You could try taking the drive out of its case and installing it inside the iMac instead of the old drive, or just buy a new internal SSD and try with that.

Otherwise if you format the external drive and follow this procedure it ought to work:

If you do follow the above procedure and it doesnt work, note which step/screen fails or is in any way different on your machine.

Thanks KittenKong for your perseverance. Now we are getting somewhere , my machine must be in some sorry state as I have just checked the SSD with a speed test , and I am getting about 100 to 110 read and write.  This is a great improvement on the 30 ish i was getting. 1778843054_ScreenShot2562-01-03at15_52_01.png.8cf0dcfaf52b648cf7a19d77e3a0c0e2.png1496538221_ScreenShot2562-01-03at15_51_39.png.c1beba4cb2954f54b62456c91f2ba234.png

I don't understand the " wheel " read only on the second photo. This has just appeared on this installation , and it cannot be altered. I have unlocked clicked to " read and write " but I " don't have permission " to alter it.

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

Thanks KittenKong for your perseverance. Now we are getting somewhere , my machine must be in some sorry state as I have just checked the SSD with a speed test , and I am getting about 100 to 110 read and write.  This is a great improvement on the 30 ish i was getting.

I suppose that the SSD is still in its caddy, which means the read/write speeds will be limited by the USB bus (tautology, sorry) itself. It would probably work faster if removed from the caddy and connected directly to the SATA bus, though if you did that you would probably cause another bottle-neck elsewhere.

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

I don't understand the " wheel " read only on the second photo.

Part of the operating system:

https://superuser.com/questions/191955/what-is-the-wheel-user-in-os-x

Archived