Songran in Bangkok

Ned

What's it like in Bangkok during Songkran in April?

Is there a lot of water throwing around Sukhumvit or have millions of the residents headed home for the festival?

Less traffic jams as a result?

I'm a real old bastard and I live in Chiang Mai and just want to go somewhere a bit more relaxed at that time of year.

Thanks folks.

15 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

Lock yourself in the day before Songkran with a 5-day supply of beer, Netflix and hookers.

agree,

large comfortable hot. room

24 hour coffee shop and room service in hot.

beer bar with ladies in hot.

ample supply of books - newspapers - beer - whisky -red wine

then Songkran is OK in lower Sukh

In BKK, there are a couple of big SK designated party areas like Silom. So def stay clear of those unless you're looking for a wet party.

But more broadly out and around town, while BKK is not Pattaya when it comes to SK, there's still enough water play going on on typical sois that your chances of getting soaked and powdered somewhere -- even if you don't want it -- are pretty high.

If not the local Thais, then knucklehead tourist farangs are likely to drench you somewhere if you're out and around.

55 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If not the local Thais, then knucklehead tourist farangs are likely to drench you somewhere if you're out and around.

Thats the part that pisses me off...at least the Thais do it for cultural reasons, the tourists do it to be arschlochs.....

55 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

The Thais fo it fir exactly the sane reason - complete f**kwits

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Messages, especially short ones, with multiple errors (see bold font) are frowned upon by the more erudite TV members, which is most of us.

Enable online spell-check and pay attention to the red lines. Or, invest in Grammarly.

There is a reason why SO many folks barricade themselves in their rooms or leave the country altogether. I've been in both Bangkok and Pattaya for Songkran in my younger, more foolish days. IF you don't mind getting soaked to the bone (which means leave your passport/cell/etc back in your room) then Pattaya can be fun. Get a room in a busy area (I usually book at Sutus Court on Soi Buakhow) which is within walking distance of food and drink, and the people watching can be quite entertaining. You can be an observer or participant - up to you. I believe last year supersoakers were deemed illegal, probably more of the same next year. Songkran CAN be fun if you haven't done it too many times. As for me, I leave the country. And Bangkok? Forget about it.

I live in Phrompong and for once stayed in BKK for Songkran last year. It was great, not much traffic around around Phrompong you could walk around unworried about being soaked or wetted at east until about 2-3pm. A great time to be in BKK, but of course use common sense if you dont want to get wet and avoid Cowboy, Silom, KSR, all of those i presume would be fine up until around midday.

Except for the entertainment and designated water throwing areas, Bangkok is as quiet as it gets. Beginning last year, the govt. banned most water throwing, and from what I saw, most people adhered to the law. Last year was the first year I didn't have any water thrown my way, and I saw very few people throwing water. It's a good time to be in Bangkok, if you're in the right area.

FN hot and crowded. Cannot wear decent clothes and go out, you get caked with flower and water. 

Stay in your condo and wait it out. That is what I do. No better her in BKK stay where hou are. As one poster said. Go to the country for the day. 

I’m hoping to hideout somewhere but home. Last two years with

extended family beers flow when they wake up until knock out.

i’m all for a couple of days but before - during - and after 7-8 days

can’t I hang. When in US 2-3 dayc ok but that think called work kept calling me back or was the the debt collectors.. a little humor.

i think in 3 days last year 46 boxes of beer.....and that’s just family 

Happy and Healthy New Year to all! 

Messages, especially short ones, with multiple errors (see bold font) are frowned upon by the more erudite TV members, which is most of us.

Enable online spell-check and pay attention to the red lines. Or, invest in Grammarly.

Oh my goodness, look at you.....

I’m extremely sorry, I’ll endeavour not to make any more spelling mistakes.

Pls accept my utmost apologies your lordship.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What do all you big cry babies do when it rains outside and you forgot your umbrella ?? Freak out? 

It’s just some fun with water guns and this thread makes a bunch of old ( tough lol) men go running under their bed for days because of it. Jeez!! Reading this thread is a joke and endless Songkran “I’m gonna leave the country” threads usually don’t start till late March. Grow up, it’s fun!

12 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

What do all you big cry babies do when it rains outside and you forgot your umbrella ?? Freak out? 

It’s just some fun with water guns and this thread makes a bunch of old ( tough lol) men go running under their bed for days because of it. Jeez!! Reading this thread is a joke and endless Songkran “I’m gonna leave the country” threads usually don’t start till late March. Grow up, it’s fun!

It may be fun for children and mindless adult morons who have refused to grow up, however for others who get knocked off their motorcycles, covered in dirty klong water (which can lead to eye infections) or hit with lumps of ice in the water, often thrown from large buckets, then it's not much fun........

36 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I gave up fun with water guns when I was 7. 

Archived