Songran in Bangkok

Ned

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

It may be fun for children and mindless adult morons who have refused to grow up, however for others who get knocked off their motorcycles, covered in dirty klong water (which can lead to eye infections) or hit with lumps of ice in the water, often thrown from large buckets, then it's not much fun........

So my question is why do so many of you MORONS ride bikes around in Songkran when you know it’s coming with a one year advance every year?? And really the klong water urban myth is really getting old. I wear the glasses they sell freaking everywhere when out having fun anyways. The ice water is the best. It’s so refreshing in a hot day. It’s fun it’s not immature at all. If you think having fun is immature then good luck to yah. 

25 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

So my question is why do so many of you MORONS ride bikes around in Songkran when you know it’s coming with a one year advance every year?? And really the klong water urban myth is really getting old. I wear the glasses they sell freaking everywhere when out having fun anyways. The ice water is the best. It’s so refreshing in a hot day. It’s fun it’s not immature at all. If you think having fun is immature then good luck to yah. 

Does mommy know what you are up to?

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:

The ice water is the best. It’s so refreshing in a hot day.

So is a swimming pool and its chlorinated.

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I see mainly adults out on Songkran for the last 5 years on Silom all having a blast. 

I have seen "adults" drinking till they projectile vomit  and then they say they had a blast.

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:

So my question is why do so many of you MORONS ride bikes around in Songkran when you know it’s coming with a one year advance every year??

Maybe because the MORONS have something to do other than have water fights like a 7 year old.

But hey whatever floats your boat

13 hours ago, alex8912 said:

So my question is why do so many of you MORONS ride bikes around in Songkran

Answers to your questions (although others have also)...........I don't but have seen others who do because they have to be somewhere!! Not realising that some moron will step out in front of the and throw a bucket full of water at them. Dangerous, but you might not think so!

And really the klong water urban myth is really getting old

Have seen morons lowering water containers into a klong to get the water to fill up the 50 gal drum to carry around on their pick-up truck........myth dispelled.

The ice water is the best

Not when there are lumps in it that are the size of bricks.

Children will be children so let them play.............

I go to the Philippines.

When I saw the empty gasoline and ammonia bottles after it on Pattaya beach one time I said no more.

You people do know AH's piss and put substances in the water. 

I do not complain much about this place but I hate SG. I know it is just me as many and some people my age or older love it.

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

Answers to your questions (although others have also)...........I don't but have seen others who do because they have to be somewhere!! Not realising that some moron will step out in front of the and throw a bucket full of water at them. Dangerous, but you might not think so!

Have seen morons lowering water containers into a klong to get the water to fill up the 50 gal drum to carry around on their pick-up truck........myth dispelled.

Not when there are lumps in it that are the size of bricks.

Children will be children so let them play.............

You have a year to make other arrangements “ to be somewhere” take a cab or a friends car etc. Never have seen trucks in BKK getting klong water NEVER!! No where else really counts. Like the large ice blocks are really being thrown around. Give us an exaggeration break! 

14 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

So is a swimming pool and its chlorinated.

I have seen "adults" drinking till they projectile vomit  and then they say they had a blast.

Maybe because the MORONS have something to do other than have water fights like a 7 year old.

But hey whatever floats your boat

Why all the anger? Go smoke a dube and reflect and take deep breath. I think the morons can make alternate plans during Songkran instead of riding their bikes around like rent a car! Your puking adults have absolutely nothing to do with my post and furthermore it’s quite difficult to buy alcohol around Silom. There is a big difference getting wet in a swimming pool ( which I’m sure some posters must be petrified of because they can’t even engage in Songkran play) than just having fun spraying water around. Who wants all that gross chlorine anyways. I as well of millions of others like Songkran and I look forward to more old grumpy farts complaining about it on TVF ESPECIALLY the beginning of April. It’s a bit early now.  I actually believe that a lot of the perpetual grumps hate most holidays just like the grinch. What’s really a bit ironic about Songkran is that if you really go out there and get a good super soaker ( which are EVERYWHERE even though some posters say otherwise ) it’s really rather therapeutic battling people with the water guns , chasing down people , getting them when they least expect it and then the same happens back at you and it’s just a great laugh!  It’s really therapeutic and I think the Songkran grumps should just join in! Just think you can all track down who you see as being the biggest morons and super soak them when their guard is down and then slip away in the crowd ! Now wouldn’t that be a great feeling? How can yah say no? 

Personally i enjoy Songkran but can understand other dont.

What i dont understand much is the complaining by people that they have things they need to do or places they need to go!. I mean come on. The Songkran dates are known a year in advance, everywhere official is closed, what is so ultra critical that it simply must be done on Songkran day! that could not be done a few days before or after.  I have always found in Bangkok and even Pattaya you can generally get around unhindered at least until midday in most respects if there really is something just so absolutely critical which has to be done.

Its almost a case of people deliberately causing themselves to be unhappy so they get the chance to complain!

If you really cannot stand it, simply plan a bit in advance.

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

You have a year to make other arrangements “ to be somewhere” take a cab or a friends car etc. Never have seen trucks in BKK getting klong water NEVER!! No where else really counts. Like the large ice blocks are really being thrown around. Give us an exaggeration break! 

Your comment, "nowhere else really counts" says so much about you that I have no need to comment further apart from the fact that I use my car if I have to go out and the morons can squirt/throw all the water they want...........and it doesn't bother me one iota!!

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Why all the anger? Go smoke a dube and reflect and take deep breath.

Im not angry, you are one who ranting because I, and so many others, thing Songkhran for Westerners is childish and a pain in this ass. Doobie or not. In fact, getting splashed with water when you are just strolling and wowing life is a buzz kill. I personally hate buzz kills. 

I as well of millions of others like Songkran and I look forward to more old grumpy farts complaining about it on TVF ESPECIALLY the beginning of April

There arent a million falangs that indulge in it silly boy. Just because Khao San is a danger zone doesnt mean that all the falang living here or visiting are playing in the sandbox.

Who wants all that gross chlorine anyways.

As opposed to Khlong water. Or from the hoses that come from "somewhere". But how about a test:, Ill drink a glass of pool water, you slurp out of one of those mysterious hoses from nowhere, or hey, even from the tank of a Super Soaker and we will see whose entrails drop out of the bottom of their cut off elephant pants first.

It’s really therapeutic and I think the Songkran grumps should just join in! Just think you can all track down who you see as being the biggest morons and super soak them when their guard is down and then slip away in the crowd ! Now wouldn’t that be a great feeling? How can yah say no? 

Thats fine. If your idea of therapy is cowardly sneaking up on someone and unexpectedly pouring filthy water on them and then running away like a chickens**t, have at it. That type of attitude tells me three things: 

1. That you have no consideration for others, and

2. That you dont have the guts  to stand up for yourself and

3.  That back in your home country, your attitude will lead yo you getting beat down some day, probably by some grumpy moron.

Speaking solely for this grump and MORON, I have no objection to the kiddies playing in the pool with the Thais. Thats what designated water fight areas are for. And I was spraying water on bar girls when you were just a brown stain on the mattress me lad. Because I chose to.

But in general,  I chose not to have some Elephant pant Chang Tshirt wearing dreadlocked cheap beaded amuleted begpacker scream Happy Songkhran at me and soak me from head to toe in filthy water when its clear Im not playing the game too.

Y'all go to pool parties and throw random people in the pool who are just sitting there catching the sun?

Well, you have to hand it to the old cronies, no matter their age. What a bunch of wimps.

I will be 74 this Songkran, I enjoyed my first Songkran at 22 and I still enjoy it.  If you are afraid to get wet, lock yourself in your room and wait it out.

If you go out, simply take a small waterproof bag with your phone, wallet, a second shirt and any other things you want to keep dry. If you are worried about getting something in your eyes, wear goggles. If you are worried about something in your mouth, keep it shut.

I have often made a game of going out and trying to stay dry--easy if you have a car or take a taxi. However, I prefer to play the game on my Harley. The goal, of course, is to make it to your favorite pub and watch or even partake in the revelries.

Of course, if your are an old fogey, no matter your age, just continue bitching about it.

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Im not angry, you are one who ranting because I, and so many others, thing Songkhran for Westerners is childish and a pain in this ass. Doobie or not. In fact, getting splashed with water when you are just strolling and wowing life is a buzz kill. I personally hate buzz kills. 

There arent a million falangs that indulge in it silly boy. Just because Khao San is a danger zone doesnt mean that all the falang living here or visiting are playing in the sandbox.

As opposed to Khlong water. Or from the hoses that come from "somewhere". But how about a test:, Ill drink a glass of pool water, you slurp out of one of those mysterious hoses from nowhere, or hey, even from the tank of a Super Soaker and we will see whose entrails drop out of the bottom of their cut off elephant pants first.

Thats fine. If your idea of therapy is cowardly sneaking up on someone and unexpectedly pouring filthy water on them and then running away like a chickens**t, have at it. That type of attitude tells me three things: 

1. That you have no consideration for others, and

2. That you dont have the guts  to stand up for yourself and

3.  That back in your home country, your attitude will lead yo you getting beat down some day, probably by some grumpy moron.

Speaking solely for this grump and MORON, I have no objection to the kiddies playing in the pool with the Thais. Thats what designated water fight areas are for. And I was spraying water on bar girls when you were just a brown stain on the mattress me lad. Because I chose to.

But in general,  I chose not to have some Elephant pant Chang Tshirt wearing dreadlocked cheap beaded amuleted begpacker scream Happy Songkhran at me and soak me from head to toe in filthy water when its clear Im not playing the game too.

Y'all go to pool parties and throw random people in the pool who are just sitting there catching the sun?

Then don’t go out on Songkran especially near us. We will sense you don’t like it and sneak up and super soak you. Then a big bucket of ice water. Have you even been to Songkran on Silom? The people you describe aren’t there! It’s all in your head. You seem soo freaking angry and worked up about this! There are 3 1/2 more months to go and your blood pressure is steaming already! The millions of people enjoying Songkran INCLUDE Thais as well why would you not include them? 

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, you have to hand it to the old cronies, no matter their age. What a bunch of wimps.

I will be 74 this Songkran, I enjoyed my first Songkran at 22 and I still enjoy it.  If you are afraid to get wet, lock yourself in your room and wait it out.

If you go out, simply take a small waterproof bag with your phone, wallet, a second shirt and any other things you want to keep dry. If you are worried about getting something in your eyes, wear goggles. If you are worried about something in your mouth, keep it shut.

I have often made a game of going out and trying to stay dry--easy if you have a car or take a taxi. However, I prefer to play the game on my Harley. The goal, of course, is to make it to your favorite pub and watch or even partake in the revelries.

Of course, if your are an old fogey, no matter your age, just continue bitching about it.

The best experienced Songkran post ever!!!!!!!!! 

5 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Then don’t go out on Songkran especially near us. We will sense you don’t like it and sneak up and super soak you. Then a big bucket of ice water. Have you even been to Songkran on Silom? The people you describe aren’t there! It’s all in your head. You seem soo freaking angry and worked up about this! There are 3 1/2 more months to go and your blood pressure is steaming already! The millions of people enjoying Songkran INCLUDE Thais as well why would you not include them? 

Dude your the one tossing !!!! LOL

You can find someone else to sneak up on, I will hopefully be in Europe.

Its a Thai holiday and tradition, not a foreign one, with religious connotations, not an excuse for western "adults" to "sneak up" on people and drench them. By the tenor of your posts, I bet you would only "sneak up" on old folks, or grannies, or ladies, and even then you would run away.

I stopped "sneaking up" on people when I was in grammer school, although I did "sneak up" on a caribou a few years back before I head shot him at 300 yards with a 338 Win Mag. 

15 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Bangkok not relaxing at songkran it is very wet. I will be escaping bkk for songkran this year. Phuket has only 1 wet dayin

I did Songkran in Puket 2 or 3 years ago. 2 days and I think that was because there was a serious water shortage that year. Pretty shure it was 3 days before that. Very wet, hated it.

Best Songkran was in a village in Khon Kaen. Only kids soaking each other. The only water I received was when a monk blessed me and sprinkled water on my head. Friends and family did the same. Actually a very uplifting experience, completely the opposite of Songkran in Pattaya.

Last year, stocked up for the week and only ventured as far as the village and then only by car. Will be doing the same this year.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:44 AM, quandow said:

There is a reason why SO many folks barricade themselves in their rooms or leave the country altogether. I've been in both Bangkok and Pattaya for Songkran in my younger, more foolish days. IF you don't mind getting soaked to the bone (which means leave your passport/cell/etc back in your room) then Pattaya can be fun. Get a room in a busy area (I usually book at Sutus Court on Soi Buakhow) which is within walking distance of food and drink, and the people watching can be quite entertaining. You can be an observer or participant - up to you. I believe last year supersoakers were deemed illegal, probably more of the same next year. Songkran CAN be fun if you haven't done it too many times. As for me, I leave the country. And Bangkok? Forget about it.

Super soakers have been illegal for a few years. last year the RTP had a bit of a crackdown on them but it didn't stop people using them. RTP confiscated them then sold them to a vendor round the corner.

I beg to differ from the majority of the posts here.  I like Bangkok during Songkran, and no, that doesn't mean I like getting soaked while flinging water at others.  I particularly like the lack of traffic - driving to places like Muang Boran with no fuss.  As for getting soaked, I have a place on lower Sukhumvit and can walk to Terminal 21 and Nana BTS without as much as a drop of water directed at me.  If you want to get wet you can visit one of the night life areas, or the free for all that Silom Road becomes at night, but if you want to stay dry you don't need to hide away in doors. 

I would even put it that Songkran is the ideal time for friends and family to visit.  My sister and family visited us a few years ago at this time, and we were able to take them all over Bangkok, with car and taxi rides taking minutes rather than hours, while still being able to walk on the street without getting wet.  In fact, her kids were somewhat disappointed that they weren't soaked, so we took the BTS to Silom one evening to give them a chance.  Arriving at Sala Daeng, we fought our way through the people to the top of the steps leading to the street and looked down at the heaving mass packed together below.  There didn't seem room for one more, let alone the seven of us, so we fought our way back to the ticket barrier and went home again.  From this thread, it would seem that some project that scene on Silom Road to the whole of Bangkok, which is a bit like someone going to the Dusit zoo (when it was there), looking at the lions and tigers and advising people not to visit Bangkok as it is full of big cats.

Songkran  in the tourist zones, for the foreign tourists and the sex trade workers, is just an excuse for low class marginals to attack people whom they resent or are jealous of. Sure there is fun to be had amongst the  20 somethings. Even some older tourists are just having fun. I get it. We all get it. However, there is a big difference with them and a lot of the  losers who participate and have anger and insecurity issues. They use songkran as a cover to physically assault others. The claims of  taking part in fun are just BS.

Every year it gets worse and I make sure I am out of Thailand during Songkran. I see no need to remain a prisoner in my residence hiding from idiotic middle aged  tourists who do not understand songkran. I don't wish to play in the gutter with losers. Never once have I had a problem with the  younger foreign tourists who are usually polite and respectful. it's always the 40+ year olds covered in cheap tats with the visible physical features of the cognitively impaired.

54 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Songkran  in the tourist zones, for the foreign tourists and the sex trade workers, is just an excuse for low class marginals to attack people whom they resent or are jealous of. Sure there is fun to be had amongst the  20 somethings. Even some older tourists are just having fun. I get it. We all get it. However, there is a big difference with them and a lot of the  losers who participate and have anger and insecurity issues. They use songkran as a cover to physically assault others. The claims of  taking part in fun are just BS.

Every year it gets worse and I make sure I am out of Thailand during Songkran. I see no need to remain a prisoner in my residence hiding from idiotic middle aged  tourists who do not understand songkran. I don't wish to play in the gutter with losers. Never once have I had a problem with the  younger foreign tourists who are usually polite and respectful. it's always the 40+ year olds covered in cheap tats with the visible physical features of the cognitively impaired.

If you always make sure you are out of Thailand at Songkran, how do you know it gets worse every year?

On 1/2/2019 at 11:18 AM, ballpoint said:

As for getting soaked, I have a place on lower Sukhumvit and can walk to Terminal 21 and Nana BTS without as much as a drop of water directed at me.

Disagree about that. I've lived in the same area for many years. And every Song Kran, my wife and I can't walk down our soi without getting spashed by partiers on the street, even if we're wearing regular non SK clothes. Not everyone behaves that way. But there's always some, oftentimes farangs with those pump plastic water guns. And the same for walking the main Sukhumvit Road between Nana and Asoke. If not farang tourists roaming the streets, it's folks driving along the road in pickup trucks.

As a result, we stay inside our home for the duration of SK every year.

It doesn't take a genius to easily tell who's dressed for SK celebration/partying and who's not. Some share of partiers, even with a few drinks in them, still manage to respect that. But there's always some, drunk or not, who feel like they have license to splash everyone and anyone they come across because it's SK and they think that means they're entitled to do it.

5 hours ago, smutcakes said:

If you always make sure you are out of Thailand at Songkran, how do you know it gets worse every year?

Over the past 8 years: 1 in, 2 out, 1 in, 2 out, 1 in, 1 out, and intend to be out this year again. Previous 12 years; 2 in, 10 out.  Based on experience to date, it is worse than 20 years ago. Based on physical injury incidence  and mortality rate reported, it is worse.  Need more clarification? My ensuring I am not here is a recent decision. I don't want the hassle. 

On 12/31/2018 at 9:07 AM, smutcakes said:

I live in Phrompong and for once stayed in BKK for Songkran last year. It was great, not much traffic around around Phrompong you could walk around unworried about being soaked or wetted at east until about 2-3pm. A great time to be in BKK, but of course use common sense if you dont want to get wet and avoid Cowboy, Silom, KSR, all of those i presume would be fine up until around midday.

I remember the lower sukhumvit chaos really kicked in around soi 22 (where the corner bars are) last year, from there inbound it was full on. 

In Bangkok it only lasts three days and if you stay away from the Lower Suk, Silom and Khao San areas you should not have too much trouble.

I am told that in Chumphon it only lasts one day, keep meaning to try it.

Archived