Old Dutch Restaurant

toolpush

30 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I'm with Toolpush - it was a welcome respite from the chaos elsewhere in the street, and a chance for a quiet pint in the fresh air, some predictable food and a bit of quiet contemplation at the start of an evening.

Might well be, but doesn't make it a landmark in the city.

23 hours ago, toolpush said:

That sucks. I have been an occasional customer over the years since the late 80s. Always enjoyed the food and ambience. It was a Bangkok "landmark"

There'll be lots of food at the Go-Go Bar ............. meat only !

As for the ambience ........... up to you.

They had some nice photos of old Amsterdam and it was good for people watching outside but the food wasn’t anything special, went downhill when the old Dutch guy sold it several years ago.  But i’m looking forward to checking out the new place.

55 minutes ago, bangkoken said:

ANOTHER GO GO BAR?  PROGRESS????

Shoosh! Some of us are still suffering from Hogmanay.

Crazy House seemed like one of the better go-go bars, but it was always too crowded for me.  I was surprised it was allowed to open on the main Soi, though.

20 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I think the Dutch guy sold it more than a few years ago. It was the only place with Dutch snacks in Bangkok for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The owner told me that he did not get a new rentalcontract and the only thing he could do was take out his belongings and go.

*Link to commercial website edited out*

I haven't been to Soi Cowboy in years, but back in the day when I was a regular there I often ate in the Dutch restaurant. The only place in Thailand I've ever had a decent loempia speciaal. Sad to hear that it's gone for good.

Excellent time to sell, in my opinion; go-go bars as a concept for the consumer probably peaked fifteen years ago or more, now they are overpriced, have poor service, rather tubby girls with bad attitudes, and crap music played over and over again by tin-eared Thai DJs. But as long as tourism flourishes there will be people rubbernecking down soi Cowboy and stopping for a beer, so the real estate is valuable; the owner of the Old Dutch will have got top Baht on his sale of the property. 

On 12/31/2018 at 9:38 AM, StreetCowboy said:

I'm with Toolpush - it was a welcome respite from the chaos elsewhere in the street, and a chance for a quiet pint in the fresh air, some predictable food and a bit of quiet contemplation at the start of an evening.

Then try the pub a few metres away on Soi 23. It has all you enjoyed at The Old Dutch. More or less.

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I think the Dutch guy sold it more than a few years ago. It was the only place with Dutch snacks in Bangkok for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I met the old Dutch ownwer Henk, a few years ago in Chiengrai he had a restaurant there with the same name Old Dutch

56 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Excellent time to sell, in my opinion; go-go bars as a concept for the consumer probably peaked fifteen years ago or more, now they are overpriced, have poor service, rather tubby girls with bad attitudes, and crap music played over and over again by tin-eared Thai DJs. But as long as tourism flourishes there will be people rubbernecking down soi Cowboy and stopping for a beer, so the real estate is valuable; the owner of the Old Dutch will have got top Baht on his sale of the property. 

What you say may be true but have you been in Crazy House lately? It is always packed and doing a great business. So are Billboard and Spankys in Nana. Sometimes you just need a beer at a good gogo and to have some entertainment and touching. Some like to gamble, some like to smoke. There are plenty of us still around that like beer and lap sitting with a woman under age 30. etc ....

On 12/31/2018 at 3:29 AM, Nyezhov said:

Thermae is a landmark

WAS a landmark..around 1996..ended when they demolished and rebuilt that area.

Used to enter a public toilet on Sukhumwit and walk through to the other end..came out in the real Thermae...

23 minutes ago, p414 said:

WAS a landmark..around 1996..ended when they demolished and rebuilt that area.

Used to enter a public toilet on Sukhumwit and walk through to the other end..came out in the real Thermae...

Yeah well, they are redoing Big Ben too, its the tradition!

Archived