Old Dutch Restaurant

toolpush

53 minutes ago, p414 said:

WAS a landmark..around 1996..ended when they demolished and rebuilt that area.

Used to enter a public toilet on Sukhumwit and walk through to the other end..came out in the real Thermae...

I went to the old Thermae once to "experience" it, and that was enough.  It was hard to tell where the public toilet ended and it began.  I seem to remember having to walk about stooped over to avoid the beams in the ceiling, and was accosted by a rather drunk Aussie guy who stumbled up to me and asked, in a rather intimidating manner, "Who's the best looking girl in here?"  Taking a quick look around I pointed out the best of a bad bunch and said "That one's not too bad".  "Cheers mate!" he said and proceeded to stagger over to her, carried out the negotiations, and she helped him to the exit as they left together.  One rarely sees such an effective demonstration of style these days.

5 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Excellent time to sell, in my opinion; go-go bars as a concept for the consumer probably peaked fifteen years ago or more, now they are overpriced, have poor service, rather tubby girls with bad attitudes, and crap music played over and over agaiThe owner told me that he did not get a new rentalcontract and the only thing he could do was take out his belongings and go.n by tin-eared Thai DJs. But as long as tourism flourishes there will be people rubbernecking down soi Cowboy and stopping for a beer, so the real estate is valuable; the owner of the Old Dutch will have got top Baht on his sale of the property. 

The owner off the Old Dutch was renting the property.

The owner told me that he did not get a new rentalcontract and the only thing he could do was take out his belongings and go.So he could not sell his restaurant.

3 hours ago, ballpoint said:

I went to the old Thermae once to "experience" it, and that was enough.  It was hard to tell where the public toilet ended and it began.  I seem to remember having to walk about stooped over to avoid the beams in the ceiling, and was accosted by a rather drunk Aussie guy who stumbled up to me and asked, in a rather intimidating manner, "Who's the best looking girl in here?"  Taking a quick look around I pointed out the best of a bad bunch and said "That one's not too bad".  "Cheers mate!" he said and proceeded to stagger over to her, carried out the negotiations, and she helped him to the exit as they left together.  One rarely sees such an effective demonstration of style these days.

You can leave it to an Aussie for an eye for quality - usually someone else's.

I have eaten there many times over the years, it was a welcome respite from the madness of cowboy at one time, the toilets and upstairs area was disgustingly filthy though! Probably why they are having to gut the place just to get it clean again ! 

Like many old Bangkok landmarks, including Patpong 1 & 2 + Washington Sq., we (still surviving) patrons of the booze, food and ladies are gone. The common phrase is "What ever happened to......."? Well he is dead and burned and if he had a good permanent lady, she is back up country caring the family elders and various grandchildren. It was great fun while it lasted and spending that oil money was great but our time is up. I'll last maybe a year or so but I've got a wife of 34 years who has forgotten my sins and takes care of an old man who has and does take care of her. Enjoy your youth and your lady and take care of both.

29 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

Like many old Bangkok landmarks, including Patpong 1 & 2 + Washington Sq., we (still surviving) patrons of the booze, food and ladies are gone. The common phrase is "What ever happened to......."? Well he is dead and burned and if he had a good permanent lady, she is back up country caring the family elders and various grandchildren. It was great fun while it lasted and spending that oil money was great but our time is up. I'll last maybe a year or so but I've got a wife of 34 years who has forgotten my sins and takes care of an old man who has and does take care of her. Enjoy your youth and your lady and take care of both.

Hear hear!

5 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

You can leave it to an Aussie for an eye for quality - usually someone else's.

But it has the advantage that, should you wake up sober next to something horrific and have to chew your own arm off to avoid waking her when you leave, you can at least blame someone else's judgement rather than your own.

On 12/31/2018 at 7:58 AM, toolpush said:

That sucks. I have been an occasional customer over the years since the late 80s. Always enjoyed the food and ambience. It was a Bangkok "landmark"

The same people who ran it are also part owners of the bright red Irish themed bar just down soi 23 (or is it English) so the food and ambiance should be similar.

Archived