iphone to TV

AlfUK

I have, for some time been viewing Youtube/news etc.,  content from my Iphone via a video link to a TV using an HDMI non-apple cable.  It worked great.  The cable cost around 330 baht.  The cable consists of an HDMI connection and a further connection for charging the phone when viewing the TV. Very happy until about 3 weeks ago it stopped working.  If anybody has had the same problem the following is what happened.

I was using an older IOS version on my Iphone 7 and unfortunately had the automatic software update ticked. So a few weeks ago my Iphone was automatically updated to version IOS 12.1.2.  and now the HDMI video link no longer works with my existing HDMI cable.

I contacted Apple who refused to help me because I was, as I was told, connecting a non Apple product to the Apple Iphone.   It looks like the updated software had a fix to stopped non compliant HDMI cables from being used,   The answer is to buy an Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter at an enormous cost for a cable of over 2000 bahts.  Apple has done it again, through software control made you use an Apple product at an inflated price.

I did buy an Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter (2100bahts) and now the Link from the Iphone to the TV works.

Has anyone else had the same problem and tried a copy Lightning Digital AV Adapter from a third party?   Another Apple rip-off.

5 hours ago, Mavideol said:

my wife has same problem and it appears that has to do with the software update.... because of their monopoly strategies I never liked apple and still not like it, very happy with (free to do as I please) Android

Yes, you are right.  I also have an Android phone but could not get the video link to work so reverted to the Apple Iphone. The Apple software update was the problem. BTW I have now tried a third party Lightning Digital AV Adapter and it works just fine.  

This is why I almost never do OS updates as long as things are working sufficiently well as-is.  There needs to be a compelling reason to change something, because change always involves risk.  And I would definitely not upgrade if out of warranty.

Archived