BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brunolem

How about Vietnam?

11 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Sadly Thailand went down the crapper a long time ago.....all the points you mentioned are available and of course will progress just as Thailand has over the years. The main point for me is the total dislike of Foreigners here from the top echelons of government down to somchai taxi guy, so having to queue at the bank once in while in a friendly environment far outweighs the daily drudge of having to deal with retards that throw their dummy out the pram at the least little thing

Exports $226.10 billion
Ranked 25th. 97% more than Vietnam

Vietnam is not stable enough in healthcare, currency, government or industry for anyone to compare it realistically with Thailand.  Maybe in 20 years.  

Thailand is like a dog.  If you want to be afraid and think it dosen't like you it won't. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I doubt that's true.

We all need a sense of humour.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I understand many patients share beds. 

do I get to pick who I share the bed with? that might make a difference and speed recovery. 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

Per capita GDP is 300% greater in Thailand.  $2,303  vs $6,663.  Vietnam is not in the same league.  Vietnam has 23 vehicles per 1000 people Thailand has 225.  It is like comparing the stone age to modernity. 

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/vietnam/thailand?sc=XE15

I guess this is the inevitable "escape" to Vietnam thread. I've lived here for 4 years and it's not even close to Thailand. I'll repeat it but a few of the rebuttals here already have it right. It's not as developed as Thailand by a long shot. It may someday be (not soon either) but it may be quite awhile. Vietnamese know it.

Good diagnostics on medical tests are often if not routinely sent to Singapore or BKK. It's light years from having anything like the MRT or BTS if ever. The latest reports have South Korea and Japan throwing in the towel on funding here for any transit or subway system. Why? The predictable levels of graft and corruption have mysteriously "lost" enough money to kill it. Oh, there's an option  - guess who'll be willing to fund it like they're funding it now. You guessed it, the Chinese. Wondering if that will clog up the cities with masses of Chinese visitors? No need to guess really. The Chinese embassy and the Ho Chi Minh City government have managed to "partner" together to increase the number of Chinese tourist in HCM from .5 million a year to 1.5 million a year. The HCM infrastructure can't handle Vietnamese for f-sake. Guess they could go elsewhere in Vietnam right? They're already over running places like Nha Trang and in another "partnership" the gov here gave away historic levels of a deal (99 year leases) in places like Phuoc - prime locations. You probably didn't hear about the arrests after people protested because a lot of people had the crap beaten out of them.

I may be wrong, but like another poster, I've never heard of a retirement visa here. Many are here on "business visas" which are easily obtainable NOW, but there's nothing saying this visa, tied to other employment trends might easily be changed. You're going to do another round of dubious visa processes here?

I understand some of the frustration with the Visa process in Thailand but equating this with a logical slide into Vietnam will leave even more people bewildered and unprepared at some point.

8 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

do I get to pick who I share the bed with? that might make a difference and speed recovery. 

viet.jpg

43 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Per capita GDP is 300% greater in Thailand.  $2,303  vs $6,663.  Vietnam is not in the same league.  Vietnam has 23 vehicles per 1000 people Thailand has 225.  It is like comparing the stone age to modernity. 

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/vietnam/thailand?sc=XE15

But most of us that came here, especially years ago, came to get away from traffic, so its a bonus what you have posted. 

Just now, baansgr said:

But most of us that came here, especially years ago, came to get away from traffic, so its a bonus what you have posted. 

North Korea would be ideal?

Just now, marcusarelus said:

viet.jpg

Another known fact here in Vietnam is the need for your friends or relatives to bribe and keeping nursing staff "happy" with money or .... you may get forgotten.

41 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Exports $226.10 billion
Ranked 25th. 97% more than Vietnam

Vietnam is not stable enough in healthcare, currency, government or industry for anyone to compare it realistically with Thailand.  Maybe in 20 years.  

Thailand is like a dog.  If you want to be afraid and think it dosen't like you it won't. 

Who cares about GDP........thats just it.....people are fed up with thailand the way it is. It was all here befor but with the advent of social media its blatant that it is very far from a hospitable place to be

what are the women like? do they boom boom at the drop of a hat like Thai women?

am I still going to be super popular everywhere I go?

Love Vietnam and I heard that in Vietnam women pay dowry ...

3 pigs and 10 chickens or so for a man.

12 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

Love Vietnam and I heard that in Vietnam women pay dowry ...

3 pigs and 10 chickens or so for a man.

3 pigs and 10 chickens for a buffalo? Sounds about fair

1 hour ago, tideout said:

I guess this is the inevitable "escape" to Vietnam thread. I've lived here for 4 years and it's not even close to Thailand. I'll repeat it but a few of the rebuttals here already have it right. It's not as developed as Thailand by a long shot. It may someday be (not soon either) but it may be quite awhile. Vietnamese know it.

Good diagnostics on medical tests are often if not routinely sent to Singapore or BKK. It's light years from having anything like the MRT or BTS if ever. The latest reports have South Korea and Japan throwing in the towel on funding here for any transit or subway system. Why? The predictable levels of graft and corruption have mysteriously "lost" enough money to kill it. Oh, there's an option  - guess who'll be willing to fund it like they're funding it now. You guessed it, the Chinese. Wondering if that will clog up the cities with masses of Chinese visitors? No need to guess really. The Chinese embassy and the Ho Chi Minh City government have managed to "partner" together to increase the number of Chinese tourist in HCM from .5 million a year to 1.5 million a year. The HCM infrastructure can't handle Vietnamese for f-sake. Guess they could go elsewhere in Vietnam right? They're already over running places like Nha Trang and in another "partnership" the gov here gave away historic levels of a deal (99 year leases) in places like Phuoc - prime locations. You probably didn't hear about the arrests after people protested because a lot of people had the crap beaten out of them.

I may be wrong, but like another poster, I've never heard of a retirement visa here. Many are here on "business visas" which are easily obtainable NOW, but there's nothing saying this visa, tied to other employment trends might easily be changed. You're going to do another round of dubious visa processes here?

I understand some of the frustration with the Visa process in Thailand but equating this with a logical slide into Vietnam will leave even more people bewildered and unprepared at some point.

Yes, there definitely is no retirement visa for Vietnam and I totally agree that any changes in the future are likely to make it harder for foreigners to retire there. 

If you might think traffic in Thailand is crazy, which I do think, you should have a look at Ho Chi Minh! I have NEVER seen in my whole life a city with so many motorbikes, I heard about 6millions, amazing to see how they manage not to crash in the big roundabouts at rush hour.

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

viet.jpg

The choice is yours