Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brunolem

How about Vietnam?

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Per capita GDP is 300% greater in Thailand.  $2,303  vs $6,663.  Vietnam is not in the same league.  Vietnam has 23 vehicles per 1000 people Thailand has 225.  It is like comparing the stone age to modernity. 

 

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/vietnam/thailand?sc=XE15

You also have to take the trend into consideration, as well as wealth inequality. 

 

Thailand has a higher GDP, but sadly it's all in the hands of a lucky few families. 

 

As for the cars, the lesser the better... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mai Mee Tang said:
7 hours ago, baansgr said:
But most of us that came here, especially years ago, came to get away from traffic, so its a bonus what you have posted. 

If you might think traffic in Thailand is crazy, which I do think, you should have a look at Ho Chi Minh! I have NEVER seen in my whole life a city with so many motorbikes, I heard about 6millions, amazing to see how they manage not to crash in the big roundabouts at rush hour.

You're quite right on this. 12-13 million people (unofficial but more accurate count) in the city with 10-15 deaths a day in the HCM area from motorbike accidents. It causes horrendous noise and air pollution as well. I've duck walked my motorbike home from work a number of times - no room to move, stuck in the rain etc.. I've actually gotten stuck in traffic jams in parking garages before going out to the streets.....taking a taxi can be worse as they're bigger and less able to find a path out......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, scorecard said:

I've visited HCMC, Hanoi and VT twice a year (all 3 locations) every year for the past 12 years), I have never once been approached. 

I guess you ain't that hansum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BritManToo said:

I guess you ain't that hansum!

Guys are very likely to get approached in the Bui Vien, Pham Ngu Lao tourist/backpacker area. Not any different or better than the riverfront in Phnom Penh, Sukhumvit in BKK  and dozens of other tourist areas.....motorbike-style robberies are probably the main physical threat to tourists.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, baansgr said:

Who cares about GDP........thats just it.....people are fed up with thailand the way it is. It was all here befor but with the advent of social media its blatant that it is very far from a hospitable place to be

Everybody cares about the GDP.  The gross domestic product (GDP) is the primary indicators used to gauge the health of a country's economy.  Same with Thailand, it's the economy, stupid!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

You also have to take the trend into consideration, as well as wealth inequality. 

 

Thailand has a higher GDP, but sadly it's all in the hands of a lucky few families. 

 

As for the cars, the lesser the better... 

Check your facts.   Gini coefficient is about the same as Canada.  I really wish you bashers would bring some facts to the table instead of old inaccurate cliches.  Vietnam has a stone age economy and infrastructure and not comparable to Thailand.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Check your facts.   Gini coefficient is about the same as Canada.  I really wish you bashers would bring some facts to the table instead of old inaccurate cliches.  Vietnam has a stone age economy and infrastructure and not comparable to Thailand.  

I don't know about Canada, but the FACT is that, just days ago, a survey showed Thailand was world number one in wealth inequality... a representative from the government even came out to say that this was not exactly true. 

The whole thing can be seen, or read, on Aljazeera website. 

(Aljazeera is not a Thailand basher) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Everybody cares about the GDP.  The gross domestic product (GDP) is the primary indicators used to gauge the health of a country's economy.  Same with Thailand, it's the economy, stupid!

 

GDP is very unreliable obsession, that doesn't reflect the health of a country's economy, but rather the mental health of its leaders. 

 

China is a good example of that, announcing a year in advance a GDP growth of 6.9%, then publishing every quarter a growth that exactly matches the predictions, more or less 0.1%...all that in a 1.4 billion people economy! 

 

And the hapless journalists gobble all that with their mouth wide open, before serving it back to the credulous crowds... 

 

One of the many problems with GDP is that it doesn't take debt into consideration... it is like looking at the assets side of a balance sheet, while ignoring the liabilities side! 

 

The US is very good at using this "loophole", claiming a wonderful GDP growth, while keeping silence on a debt growing at twice the GDP rate, or more... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, baansgr said:

Sadly Thailand went down the crapper a long time ago.....all the points you mentioned are available and of course will progress just as Thailand has over the years. The main point for me is the total dislike of Foreigners here from the top echelons of government down to somchai taxi guy, so having to queue at the bank once in while in a friendly environment far outweighs the daily drudge of having to deal with retards that throw their dummy out the pram at the least little thing

Ah, another one.

A jingoist, nationalistic, racist lack of integration moaner.

Live in Pattaya or another tourist hell hole?

Thought so.

Can't speak the lingo?

Thought so.

Prefer your home cooked food just like Mommy made it back when rather than this weird spicy stuff they dish up here?

Thought so.

Etc etc to oblivion.

13 hours ago, baansgr said:

the total dislike of Foreigners here from the top echelons of government down to somchai taxi guy,

 

13 hours ago, baansgr said:

the daily drudge of having to deal with retards that throw their dummy out the pram at the least little thing

Your experience.

Not mine at all.

Strange that.

Innit?

Best you refill your glass, as it will always be half empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The US is very good at using this "loophole", claiming a wonderful GDP growth, while keeping silence on a debt growing at twice the GDP rate, or more... 

People (or investors) lend you money when they feel you can pay it. If your GDP is bad, people won't lend you money. Japan has proved that debt is immaterial, it is your ability to pay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, there definitely is no retirement visa for Vietnam and I totally agree that any changes in the future are likely to make it harder for foreigners to retire there. 

You are right there is no retirement visa. In recent years they have sporadically issued 12 month visas but for some reason every now and then they go back to 3 month visas. On the credit side work permits are relatively trouble free to get. 

A 5 year Certificates for Visa Exemption for marriage cost US$10 and involve a health check and certificate of no impediment to marriage and that's about it. It has to be stamped every 6 months and that can easily be done at a police station (without forms of any sort) or by passing through immigration when returning from a trip outside the country. For marriage there are no requirements for money in a bank or arduous trips to Immigration or home visits by the local plod such as in Thailand. 

Vietnamese banks are safe. I have had a reasonably large amount of money invested for about 10 years. Interest rate is now about 8% on term deposit.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tideout said:

Guys are very likely to get approached in the Bui Vien, Pham Ngu Lao tourist/backpacker area. Not any different or better than the riverfront in Phnom Penh, Sukhumvit in BKK  and dozens of other tourist areas.....motorbike-style robberies are probably the main physical threat to tourists.....

Much Higher crime rates against ex pats. First day there the hotel staff said best leave your man bag inside. Motorbike snatch and Run is rampant 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

i just completed my research.

 

 

Great scene!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, madmen said:

Much Higher crime rates against ex pats. First day there the hotel staff said best leave your man bag inside. Motorbike snatch and Run is rampant 

Yes, I'd say the crime is higher here than Thailand especially of the grab and run type. To be fair, there are tons of stories from Vietnamese about getting ripped off themselves. Typically crime like this goes up when there are big soccer matches (gambling debt) or around the Tet holiday (general debt). There are of course the police rip offs all the time. They basically set up shop on a busy street and literally take money from everyone for nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...