Railway authorities up security after bomb attacks derail train services to the South

webfact

Railway authorities up security after bomb attacks derail train services to the South

By The Nation

44c12ea08385ce0287ab46e02d71777c.jpeg

TRAIN SERVICES in Thailand’s deep South were suspended yesterday morning in the wake of bomb attacks that hit sleepers in a border province on Saturday night.

At least four explosions rocked Narathiwat between 7pm and 8pm, damaging train tracks, a cellphone-signal pole and an electricity pole. There were no casualties.

Due to the bomb blasts, at least 14 trains could not operate in the South yesterday morning. “Several trains that were supposed to leave our station at around 6.30am, for example, were cancelled,” Tanyongmas Train Station chief Manop Muenpreecha said. 

He said several trains from the upper parts of country also had to stop around Yala province, instead of moving further to his province. 

Many passengers turned up at the Tanyongmas Train Station early yesterday only to be informed that they had to find other means of transport.

Normal train services resumed around 11am yesterday, according to the State Railway of Thailand (SRT). 

“We have already fixed the damage to the railways,” SRT acting governor Voravuth Mala said. 

He said the SRT had now deployed security guards at 27 train stations in Thailand’s four southern border provinces – Songkhla, Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat – around the clock. 

“We also have X-ray machines and walk-through metal detectors in place. Handheld metal detectors are also available,” he said. 

He urged passengers to comply with the SRT’s safety measures.

“If you notice something or someone suspicious, please alert officials,” he said. 

Police are investigating Saturday’s bomb blasts. 

Thailand’s southernmost region has been plagued by unrest for more than a decade. During this period, attacks have caused not just damage to property but also a huge number of casualties. Thousands of lives, those of civilians and security officials alike, have been lost. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361380

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-31

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

“We also have X-ray machines and walk-through metal detectors in place. Handheld metal detectors are also available,” he said.

No mention of the GT200 bomb detectors, maybe they've stopped using them.

"At least four explosions rocked Narathiwat between 7pm and 8pm,

damaging train tracks, a cellphone-signal pole and an electricity pole".

Where are the evidences of the four explosions? 

What i see  in the picture above doesn't look like an explosion at all.

More like a man made damage done with some sort of shaping tool.......

Let's just hope these guy's don't get some real explosives and someone who knows how to put it all together,if you have ever seen footage from Iraq or Syria of what a real car or worse a truck bomb can do,this is kids stuff compared to that. I agree with what the Malaysian president or ex president said about giving the south more autonomy,so far this insurgency has not been radicalised,if it does,then it could spread and become really hideous.

2 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Let's just hope these guy's don't get some real explosives and someone who knows how to put it all together,if you have ever seen footage from Iraq or Syria of what a real car or worse a truck bomb can do,this is kids stuff compared to that. I agree with what the Malaysian president or ex president said about giving the south more autonomy,so far this insurgency has not been radicalised,if it does,then it could spread and become really hideous.

Years ago they found a teacher down south with how to build bomb videos he was showing to his class, the knowledge is already there.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

After bombing the mermaid i believed the governor that all was safe.....now i 'll never believe them again and sure not travel to south thailand....

That would be your loss. They are friendly and welcoming people - at least I have always found them to be so.

Archived