Weekend trip somewhere in Isaan - where would you go?

Percy Penguin

35 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Isaan pretty much sucks. But Loei is an exception. Phu Ruea National Park near Loei is very nice.

Pray tell us what is wrong with Issan?

Maybe its you, i love Issan find absolutely nothing wrong with it.????

3 hours ago, Percy Penguin said:

I know you can fly direct to Khon Kaen

So you want to fly and how do you want to travel on the ground?

Isan is big, long distances.

Direct flights to Khon Kaen and Udon Thani.

Udon Thani would be a better starting point towards the Mekong (at Nong Khai).

On 12/31/2018 at 11:47 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Anywhere on the Mekong.

From Loei in the West to Nakon Phanom in the East.

Air Asia has a flight and van connection to Chiang Khan.. lovely town on the banks of the Mekong River.. Loie province.. good accommodation and restaurants..  very nice for a couple of days.. nice scenery too.. 

Khon Kaen city itself is worth exploring - temples by the lake. If you have transport Ubonrat Dam and lake is scenic. Khon Kaen Zoo, with its water fun park, is ideal if you have children. In Phu Wiang there is a national dinosaur park and a new temple complex with a huge reclining Buddha. These places can all be visited by public transport from KK but journeys are slow.

If you end up by Udon Thani, the Ban Chiang Museum is nice (very early Bronze Age artifacts).  It is about an hour East of the city.  A little North of that is the haunted forest at Kamchanod.   Locals will know the ghost story about the place.  And there's always Nong Kai and Vientiane.  There's a really unusual sculpture park (Xieng Khuan) on the Lao side. Not beautiful to my eyes, but interesting, nonetheless.   Head East right off the Friendship Bridge instead of going into Vientiane; it is not far. 

North-East Thailand is no place for farangs - the weather's inclement, the food is mostly arthropodic, the roads are full of suicidal, drunken madmen driving pickups, all the good looking women work in Bangkok and there are no trees left after the military top brass denuded the forests in the sixties and seventies. 

Don't go there, there's nothing for tender Western sensibilities. leave it to those of us of a hardier disposition.

If you rent a car in Udon Thani, don't miss the Red Lotus Sea. It's really a day trip starting in the morning when the lake is covered with crimson-blooming lotus flowers. Rent a boat and sail through the flowers to the various other attractions on the lake, including a floating bar/restaurant and a wat. Lots of people live on boats on the lake, so there's sort of a floating village.

North-East Thailand is no place for farangs - the weather's inclement, the food is mostly arthropodic, the roads are full of suicidal, drunken madmen driving pickups, all the good looking women work in Bangkok and there are no trees left after the military top brass denuded the forests in the sixties and seventies. 
Don't go there, there's nothing for tender Western sensibilities. leave it to those of us of a hardier disposition.

Absurd and blind if you think all the good looking women moved to Bangkok.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Have you been dumped by an Issan lass?

Sounds like it, many beautiful women in Issan.

I have no problems with the food, i usually cook my own, dinner tonight is liver and onions with baked cauliflower cheese.

Loei is the most attractive part of Isaan for quiet, beautiful places. Phu Reua and the other nearby hills, the small town of Chiang Khan by the Mekong river. Don`t expect much tourist infrastructure or farang there but friendly people. Think Nok Air flies to the small Loei airport or it`s about 3 hours drive from Udon Thani.

There are some nice places in Loei.  Some listed here:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g2098393-Activities-c57-Loei_Province.html

Suan Hin Pha Ngam is interesting if you like craggy rock outcroppings:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g2237442-d9796890-Reviews-Suan_Hin_Pha_Ngam-Nong_Hin_Loei_Province.html

The main town is rather quiet.  Accommodations are reasonable, including a couple guest houses (assuming they haven't been shut down by the recent govt. nonsense).  Sugar Guest House is small and within walking distance to the market area.  Pat, the owner, and her daughter apparently speak English and they can recommend various points of interest.  They have bicycles and motorbikes. There's another one run by an English guy about 1.25 km from the main market, The Stay Guest House.

There's a bar/restaurant in the middle of town, Saloon Loei that is owned by a German guy, Chris Roemer.  He also has a home/Coffee shop out near Huai Krathing Reservoir, Loei Loghome Coffee.  He and his patrons know Loei pretty well and they tour all over on their motorcycles (Loei Gentleman's Motorcycle Club).  They seem to have have a lot of fun. Apparently he rents motorcycles and does tours, not just in Loei.  At any rate, a good local source of info as to what may be worth seeing.

https://www.facebook.com/SaloonLoei/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000660175543

https://www.facebook.com/Loei-Loghome-Coffee-213410355659201/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LoeiAdventureTouring/about/?ref=page_internal

I have a wife, a house and a bunch of in-laws in Loei. One of my wife's old grade school chums did well - owns a nice hotel in the main town and a huge resort hotel right on the Mekong river in Chiang Khan. Can't say I could get you a discount on that, but I have a sister-in-law who would give you a good deal on fresh vegetables, 555.

Anyway, PM me if I can be of help.

If you're willing to rent a car, then use Korat as a base and drive to Prasat Phnom Rung in Buriram and Phimai in Korat.  I've driven to both in one day and returned to my Korat hotel at night.

Otherwise, Loei and That Phanom in Nakorn Phanom province are good places to visit.  Also, see prehistoric art painted on cliffs along the Mekhong in stunning Pha Taem park in Ubon.

Most importantly, Have Fun!

Isaan,

Kong Chiam - east in Ubon Ratchatani province, rim Mekong,

small place - quiet place - nice place

one of my favourites

Pat Them or Ta Pem or similar, near by, old scriptures  in stone/mountain to watch, - interesting

Archived