Pollution solution indoors.

wood

The levels of pm 2.5 in Bangkok have been concerning to say the least, especially for this last 2 weeks.

The recent poor visibility across the Chaophraya river has made me rethink that this river and its good amount of breeze can not overcome the airborne pollutants.

We've always had a nice cooling breeze swirling around, but, the AQI reports got me wondering about the amount of pm 2.5 particles finding their  way into our new build home.

I purchased an air purifier filter that also provides a pm 2.5 read out.

The unit has been on for 48 hours in the bedroom already and this  morning at 07:30 the reading was as follows :

I must add that the level of pm 2.5 without the unit was registering 14 units, so not a real concern inside the  home.

The unit is Inaudible, pretty fantastic what it does.

Here's a screen shot of the unit this  morning - we had the best  nights sleep in the  8 weeks we've been here..

Cheers for the new year.

Wood.

Screenshot_20181231-062646.png

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 2:02 PM, wgdanson said:

How much? From where please?

WGDanson.

Did you manage to get hold of one ?

PM2.5 is really bad in BKK tonight, never seen it like this.. ..

I've got the unit on max speed and it's just managing to keep the indoors level down to 11 mcgs.

Hopefully it will settle down in the night.....

Cheers.

2 minutes ago, wood said:

WGDanson.

Did you manage to get hold of one ?

PM2.5 is really bad in BKK tonight, never seen it like this.. ..

I've got the unit on max speed and it's just managing to keep the indoors level down to 11 mcgs.

Hopefully it will settle down in the night.....

Cheers.

Decided that I didn't really need one as I live in the sticks, surrounded by rice fields. Only pollution is just after they have burned a field, then we get the 'black snow'. Thanks for the info. 

On 12/31/2018 at 1:54 PM, wood said:

I must add that the level of pm 2.5 without the unit was registering 14 units, so not a real concern inside the  home.

The unit is Inaudible, pretty fantastic what it does.

Your OP post here was over the New Year's holiday, when the field and garbage burners, drivers, factories, etc were on holiday break in addition to a couple of good rainfall days, and thus the outdoors PM2.5 levels were remarkably low for BKK.

Now as of today, it's back to seasonal normal for BKK with the AQI levels around town reading 150+ for red/unhealthy.  How's your air purifier and indoor air doing now?

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Your OP post here was over the New Year's holiday, when the field and garbage burners, drivers, factories, etc were on holiday break in addition to a couple of good rainfall days, and thus the outdoors PM2.5 levels were remarkably low for BKK.

Now as of today, it's back to seasonal normal for BKK with the AQI levels around town reading 150+ for red/unhealthy.  How's your air purifier and indoor air doing now?

As I presented above ^, pm 2.5 is controlled at circa 11 microcgrammes  per cubic metre,  it's controlled down to 8mcg since i posted that.

With the unit off all day today as we were out, it registered pm2.5 at 45 mcg inside and 78 outside. (It's been on 3 hours to reduce internally from 45 to 8 pm2.5).

It's controlling a 130sqm condo inside at these numbers.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20190107-200924.png

Are you happy with the 2S?  Looks like a reasonable price (reasonable for replacement filter cost also).  I have portable Honeywell Hepas back home that I'm happy with.  I'm trying to find something comparable...this "looks" like a great option.

11 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Are you happy with the 2S?  Looks like a reasonable price (reasonable for replacement filter cost also).  I have portable Honeywell Hepas back home that I'm happy with.  I'm trying to find something comparable...this "looks" like a great option.

If I can base my answer on impressions so far, then, I have to say it's quiet remarkable what it accomplishes.

Time will tell regarding its longevity but, as of now, I would buy another one tomorrow.

57 minutes ago, wood said:

With the unit off all day today as we were out, it registered pm2.5 at 45 mcg inside and 78 outside. (It's been on 3 hours to reduce internally from 45 to 8 pm2.5).

It's controlling a 130sqm condo inside at these numbers.

That's a good result for the reduction level, given using a single purifier in that size living space.

I've got an older Honeywell large size unit at home in Central BKK in our open living space area, probably about 50 sq mt. When I went into the closed room around 6 pm tonight, the original unfiltered PM2.5 reading was 50 mcg. Now after running the purifier on medium a couple hours, it's staying at about 18 mcg -- which is too high for what it should be, and what the purifier has accomplished in the past.

I need to check the filter installation and setup, because it's not performing as well as it had/should.

Meanwhile, this isn't helping...  Haven't seen this many 170+s in quite some time for BKK.

578328865_2019-01-0721_03_59.jpg.52e16725222a996dd66c81b0a8164d22.jpg

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's a good result for the reduction level, given using a single purifier in that size living space.

I've got an older Honeywell large size unit at home in Central BKK in our open living space area, probably about 50 sq mt. When I went into the closed room around 6 pm tonight, the original unfiltered PM2.5 reading was 50 mcg. Now after running the purifier on medium a couple hours, it's staying at about 18 mcg -- which is too high for what it should be, and what the purifier has accomplished in the past.

I need to check the filter installation and setup, because it's not performing as well as it had/should.

I understand that the pm2.5 pollutant will reduce the filter efficiency but visually it may look clean.

31 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Meanwhile, this isn't helping...  Haven't seen this many 170+s in quite some time for BKK.

578328865_2019-01-0721_03_59.jpg.52e16725222a996dd66c81b0a8164d22.jpg

The scary bit  is that even with a "closed" room/ condo, this pm2.5 is drawn into the living areas of all of us.

If it adds any value to this topic, we also have an LG HOMBOT square robot vacuum cleaner that is programmed to do a full sweep everday at 5am. My wife also switches it to do a second sweep late afternoon.

It has an HEPA filter, I'm convinced that, after emptying its bin, it greatly helps keep the place dust free.

It gets into every corner and does a brilliant job.

Another gadget that I would strongly recommend...

57 minutes ago, wood said:

I understand that the pm2.5 pollutant will reduce the filter efficiency but visually it may look clean.

My Honeywell supposedly has a lifetime, never need to be replaced HEPA filter. Just requires periodic vacuuming, along with replacement of its separate charcoal pre-filter. That's what Honeywell advertised when they sold my unit, though they later altered the model to a periodically needing replacement HEPA filter. Even though it's years old, I've really only been using it regularly for the past year. For many years prior, it sat unused in a box here in our BKK home, before I realized how really bad the air and PM2.5 can get in BKK during this time of the year.The HEPA filter on my Honeywell "looks" brand new and not gray or black.   Unlike my year-old Thai purchased Sharp HEPA purifier, where the much cheaper HEPA filter in that one is visibly gray/almost black and heading for replacement time.

My Sharp HEPA filter is just a flat square about one inch thick and maybe 12 x 14 inches in size. The HEPA filter in my Honeywell is a HUGE circular cannister shape with far more surface filter area.

968706113_2019-01-0722_03_33.jpg.ff5aef2acc4d27bdc79c4e0fdf99b68c.jpg     1826815972_2019-01-0722_04_23.jpg.3173ce1bbaa6abb8857be357bd5a90d5.jpg

The cylindrical HEPA filters are the most efficient, as you say, the greater surface area which will improve the airflow rate.

Attached is the current screenshot of my unit working for the bedrooms night sleep.

The auto mode has powered down to its lowest rate and hence low noise....

Screenshot_20190107-222123.png

Archived