Mass shooting HORROR in Thailand as man GUNS DOWN 7 people

webfact

Mass shooting HORROR in Thailand as man GUNS DOWN 7 people

A GUNMAN has opened fire in southern Thailand in a ferocious New Year’s Eve attack, leaving six dead before turning the gun on himself.

By THOMAS MACKIE

workpoint.jpg

Picture: Workpoint News

The mass shooting happened about 10 minutes after midnight when the family was attending a New Year’s Eve party in Phato District, which is located in Chumphon Province in southern Thailand.

Police said the suspect, Sucheep Sornsung, became angry because he did not feel welcomed by his wife’s family. He took out his gun when they were sitting at a table and opened fire.

The attacker shot and killed six people, including his nine-year-old son, his six-year-old daughter. Four adults between the ages of 47 and 71 were also killed. Sornsung then committed suicide by turning the gun on himself.

Full story: https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1065600/thailand-shooting-latest-dead-new-years-eve-attack-mass-shooting-news-phato-district

-- EXPRESS 2019-01-01

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely horrific. It's bad enough that people get so desperate that they turn to actions like this, but absolutely heart wrenching that young kids are the innocent victims.

What a terrible, terrible tragedy

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Police said the suspect, Sucheep Sornsung, became angry because he did not feel welcomed by his wife’s family.

And for that killed his own children? And the rest of his wifes family? Ye Gods, that is just awful, and at a New Years celebration too, when good will to everyone is supposed to be the order of the day.. The only good news in the whole tragedy is that he killed himself too. Saves the state paying for this oxygen thiefs upkeep in jail for the next twenty years or so.

RIP the innocent victims here.

So many these Thai males have zero control, make em angry and its a murderous rage. All you can do is warn people...don't go to Thailand, if you do give the males a wide berth, don't try to interact with them. Don't ever ever try to be funny and crack a joke...that's like playing with a hand grenade.

5 minutes ago, TSF said:

So many these Thai males have zero control, make em angry and its a murderous rage. All you can do is warn people...don't go to Thailand, if you do give the males a wide berth, don't try to interact with them. Don't ever ever try to be funny and crack a joke...that's like playing with a hand grenade.

Sad to concur with this but my god it’s so true. Thai males seem to me to all be total a/holes and this one the biggest of the lot. 

Children among 7 killed in mass shooting at New Year's Eve party

A GUNMAN opened fire on partygoers killing seven, including two children, as they were celebrating the coming New Year in Thailand.

By Anders Anglesey 

The gunman reportedly began shooting just 10 minutes past midnight at a home in Chumphon province, in the country’s southern region. 

Officers said the suspect, Sucheep Sornsung, started to rage at his wife’s family after he felt they had not welcomed him properly. 

He is then understood to have pulled out his gun while they all sat at a table and opened fire. 

Full story: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/750799/thailand-mass-sotting-new-year-party-chumphon-province-asia-world-news

-- Daily Star 2019-01-01

I am sure there was a good reason why his wifes family were not particularly welcoming to him. Bad husband, bad father, who knows? Tragic that his own inadequacies bring him to the point of killing his own children and the rest of their family. Shame he didn't just wander off and shoot himself and leave the family alone.

17 minutes ago, TSF said:

That's what happens when the boys are dumped to the grannies care and given free berth with zero discipline, they aren't able to deal with daily reality. This country has a long, looooooong way to go.

Another tragic instance of someone who would seem to have had mental health issues.
The government needs to invest in providing support to vulnerable people, so we can slow this almost daily reporting of someone doing a vicious act because of a deranged mental state. There are too many unbalanced people here grabbing guns or knives seeking revenge for the most trivial of matters. Road rage, feeling disrespected, marital issues, grab a weapon and let's get even.

Who knows it could eventually be safe to live here.

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How do they know that?

He shot himself before they arrived.

We don’t know the back story on this. 

My guess is that he probably raged out before the shooting started and others reported the rage to the police. 

What a sad event !

33 minutes ago, TSF said:

I do feel that you are being overly cautious as most Thai males arent as you describe

My wife just spoke to her son who lives in the mountains between Phato and Ranong, he said the killer had just been released from prison and was disliked by his in laws. Such a cowardly act, killing his own kids and the others, he could have simply moved on and let live. RIP the the unfortunate victims.

42 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That's what happens when the boys are dumped to the grannies care and given free berth with zero discipline, they aren't able to deal with daily reality. This country has a long, looooooong way to go.

So you know the killer and his family, do you?

16 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I am sure there was a good reason why his wifes family were not particularly welcoming to him. Bad husband, bad father, who knows? Tragic that his own inadequacies bring him to the point of killing his own children and the rest of their family. Shame he didn't just wander off and shoot himself and leave the family alone.

All good points.

There's also the point that families don't support their daughters (can also sons) getting married because the boy doesn't have the right status picture, regardless of his income, his promotion opportunities, his savings, his ability to provide a much better than average home, his honesty, sincerity, reliability etc. 

The example I'm aware of (10 years ago), a young man I met (about 30 years old), he was the national marketing manager of a very dynamic and big, well respected offshore personal care products company. His company had, internationally, a policy that the national and regional marketing and sales managers must travel continuously by car (with a driver) to monitor / push the marketing and sales activities of his company in every big and small city, town, etc.  His company car was a top of the range Honda, all set up with advanced electronics stuff, his salary was impressive plus large regular commissions. He had a professional support staff (3 or 4 people) based in the bkk office, they didn't travel.  

By company policy he had a small simple office in the company Bkk HQ, and the company expected this office would be basically unused.

His long-term GF was from a well known Bkk hi-so family. The young man's position, income etc., was what they would accept for their daughter, but the lack of a large highly impressive office was unacceptable, they were even insistent that the impressive office had Louis furniture. And they wanted a folder of large photographs of the required office including photos of his several personal staff, etc.

Several attempts by himself and his GF to to explain to her parents were a waste of time.

Ultimately her parents demanded that they part and they did.

57 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Maybe there was no good reason for his not being welcomed?  Perhaps he was a perfectly good father and husband before this, maybe the in-laws weren't the nicest people in the world.  Doesn't justify the killings but there are always two sides to a story.

1 hour ago, TSF said:

Early days but that will probably rank up there with the daftest comments of 2019.

20 minutes ago, TomTao said:

My wife just spoke to her son who lives in the mountains between Phato and Ranong, he said the killer had just been released from prison and was disliked by his in laws. Such a cowardly act, killing his own kids and the others, he could have simply moved on and let live. RIP the the unfortunate victims.

Beautiful area there.  I lived in downtown Chumphon for a while, never minded the Ranong visa runs so much because I liked the minibus ride.

Looks like locking him up was not a solution for whatever he was in for.

2 hours ago, TSF said:

Would you make the same comment about Americans in the aftermath of one of their, far more frequent, mass shootings?

I will NEVER support allowing firearms to be bought by citizens. I don't care what the American Constitution says. BAD idea. Police, military and organized crime are the only entities which should own guns. Let them kill each other.

1 hour ago, dcsw53 said:

Another tragic instance of someone who would seem to have had mental health issues.
The government needs to invest in providing support to vulnerable people, so we can slow this almost daily reporting of someone doing a vicious act because of a deranged mental state. There are too many unbalanced people here grabbing guns or knives seeking revenge for the most trivial of matters. Road rage, feeling disrespected, marital issues, grab a weapon and let's get even.

Who knows it could eventually be safe to live here.

This is happening worldwide now, crazies going around with guns or knives or bombs murdering and massacring people.

I had an extremely bad abusive childhood from a dysfunctional family, but I don`t have urges to kill people who I think don`t like me and in fact has the opposite effect of wanting to give my kids a better quality of life then I had.

The world has become a dangerous place, too many nutters out there and it`s really a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, regardless whether this be in Thailand or anywhere else.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Maybe there was no good reason for his not being welcomed?  Perhaps he was a perfectly good father and husband before this, maybe the in-laws weren't the nicest people in the world.  Doesn't justify the killings but there are always two sides to a story.

And because they "weren't the nicest people in the world" he killed 6 people including his own children and then himself?

As one would expect any "perfectly good father and husband" to do?

I find the "he was a unbalanced, dangerous, nutter" hypothesis a little bit more convincing.

Or "maybe" they all pulled their guns first?

Archived