New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 January 2019 11:05
Happy Grumpy

Thai L1 interference with removal of pronoun?

If I write:

Have a good night.

Have a good day.

Have a good year.

Have a good time.

It seems like they read it as me saying that I am having a good whatever, as opposed to wishing them a good whatever.

So for them to understand it properly, I would have to write 'I hope you have a good ......'

I presume this is down to Thai L1 Interference as they translate it.

Sound correct?  

depending on their level yes. Easy way to test your students is giving them assigned essays (individual essays otherwise they cheat) and looking for subject deletion. Try to teach about SVO and how each sentence MUST have a subject otherwise it is incomplete. Trying to teach students what you wrote above is fruitless but it is great indicator that your beg-intermediate students glossed over SVO or have forgotten about it.

Remember there are no 'complete' sentences in Thai, and our over assertion of subjects into Thai is a roadblock to native fluency. Thai is more forgiving though in our case as inserting unnecessary subjects into conversation does not cause confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

3 hours ago, surfdog said:

depending on their level yes. Easy way to test your students

😂

Thanks.

This is when chatting with women. I'm not a teacher lol. 

Thanks though

oh sorry, L1 intereference is a bit of academic concept, so assumed you were a teacher. Also way too many beers last night...

In this case perhaps it is not the grammar for Thai messing it up, it is just the things you are saying and when you are saying them. The biggest cause of miscommunication.

For "have a good night" Thais say "sleep well" you can borrow a "krup" for "sleep well krup"

นอนดีๆนะครับ - nown dee dee nah cup

I doubt Thai people would mistake that.

• Thanks 1

For those of us who are not language mavens, what is "L1 Interference"?

l1 = first language

the intereference is the different rules of grammar which cause us to trip up when learning another language.

It is an academic term, that is why in my drunken ramble last night I assumed the op was a teacher. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, surfdog said:

For "have a good night" Thais say "sleep well" you can borrow a "krup" for "sleep well krup"

นอนดีๆนะครับ - nown dee dee nah cup

It's not used when going to bed.

It's said if they're going out for the night, they're staying in, you're going out, or whatever. Said as the end of a conversation around 8pm or whatever. 

Easy example is how for us French is easier, and likewise Laos is easier for Thai, less interference from L1.

It's said if they're going out for the night, they're staying in, you're going out, or whatever. Said as the end of a conversation around 8pm or whatever. 

I would have to wonder does "Have a good night" mean anything more than "good bye," besides just being said at nighttime?

If so what else does it mean?

other farewells are appropriate depending on context, such as "Drive Safely" ขับรถดีๆนะครับ" or "Take Care of Yourself" ดูแลตัวเองนะครับ ( although my experience suggests you may not see each other for awhile )

I suggested the "Sleep Well" because, well beyond you I guess the romantic connotation,
e.g. "think of me when you get home in bed, and hope those thoughts find you well"

But hey don't worry, I can guarantee another member of this board will come back with an exact translation of "Have a good night" from Oxford's 17th edition of phrasology

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, surfdog said:

I would have to wonder does "Have a good night" mean anything more than "good bye," besides just being said at nighttime?

If so what else does it mean?

The same as 'Have a good day'.

'I'm just going to work.

Have a good day. 

I'm going to Central.

Have a good time. 

I'm going out with some friends.

Have a good night. 

Edited by Happy Grumpy

a lot of these farewell like phrases start off in Thai with "ขอให้"

literally "wish give" but in meaning is "wish you" as in wish you luck, wish you safety, wish you wealth, wish you have fun...

I can't imagine a way this gets translated with "have" except having "wish you" preceding it.

wish you have a good night...
even then good night is so vague and creepy to say I think.

advice, just stick to 'see you soon' or 'see you -at a specified time or place'

เจอกันไหม่นะครับ - jer gun hmai na cup

See you again, open ended without connotation of short or long duration

hard to butcher, polite, and applicable to any farewell, have a wife in no time at all.

Whether there is a 1:1 exchange on this english saying I do not know, but I do know that you got to let loose and stop trying to create language but mimic the language around you.