Shimano Disc Brake Spacers

bluesofa

I've recently bought a Merida Big Seven 300.

The spec says the front & rear disc brakes are Shimano MT-200.

I see there are spacers available to insert in between the brake pads, for when the wheels are removed.

Can anyone tell me the correct spacers I need to buy, as there seem to be a couple of different versions available?

image.png.31f37e913371e18de1337f11eba98f3e.png                          image.png.745f36d216f6130f193ee124093f41ed.png

(M975/965/800/765/601/585/535)           XTR M9000 11-Speed BR-M985 PAD Spacer - Y8J709000

Perhaps it's neither of these?

10 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I have no idea.  I am guessing you could buy both, if you are flush with cash, or use a bit of cardboard if you are not.

Interesting about cardboard. Is it strong enough? Won't it become compressed if the brake levers are squeezed, as the discs are hydraulic, or have I missed something obvious?

11 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Interesting about cardboard. Is it strong enough? Won't it become compressed if the brake levers are squeezed, as the discs are hydraulic, or have I missed something obvious?

Generally Sof' it is never good idea to squeeze the brake lever of hydraulic disc setups with the wheel remove as the pads don't then have anything to squeeze upon and the pistons which are the power behind the pads will extend right out of the brake caliper and sometimes depending on the type of caliper will pop right out you usually have to bleed the brakes after that .. Cardboard is not an out of the question solution as an absolute fail safe to prevent the above .. The plastic spacers  referred to I suspect are for the same reason but without actually seeing the brake setup it is hard to judge .. Alternatively if you're still abit unsure P M me with a photo or two .. 

Archived