Why don't professional chefs use a garlic press?

chanming

Hi all,

Sorry for taking up your time. During 3-day holiday, I feel rather bored, then there is one idea coming up from my mind. Why don't professional chefs use a garlic press? I began to search on net, but to make me dissatisfied, I didn't find the satisfying answer. So today I come to this forum to seek help from you.

I have a garlic press that I love. I use it daily, whenever I need to add garlic to any of my recipes. It is quick and simple and easy to clean. I have noticed on Food shows on television, that almost all of the professional chefs, slice their garlic or hand chop it. It seems a waste of time to me. Can anyone out there enlighten me?

This is the garlic press my family is using. 

menu.saveimg.savepath20181227104044.jpg.65ee25c07d8b8460685b15d4675f629e.jpg

Anyone can help me? 

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

I think chopping it by hand for an experienced chef is quicker and easier. I am not an experienced chef but i still chop by hand, i always found the pressers a bore to clean and so when there is no real time difference there does not seem much point using one. I dont mind the skin going in so just crush it with a knife or chop it skin on and chuck it all in.

Exciting topic.

A professional chef (or even a prep cook) in a busy restaurant couldn't afford to use a garlic press.  The time needed to piss around, fiddling with garlic waste, and constantly sanitizing the press would drive a professional insane.  

I thought initially that this was a boring topic, but on seconds thought I changed my mind.

The reason why professionals chop garlic by hand is that there are various ways of utilizing garlic in your dishes. One can either crush the garlic, skin and all, and let it simmer, slice it thinly (spanish kitchen, to flavour the oil, and add an extra crunch), mince it , or turn it into a garlic paste with the help of some salt.

It all results in different flavours.

So , since it basically depends on the dish you are trying to create how to process this wonderful legume, utilizing a garlic press exclusively sounds a rather crude way of going about it, don't you think?

24 minutes ago, chanming said:

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. I am getting used to using a garlic press as in fact, if I don't use a garlic press, there will be some smell on the hands. 

Well mate i have a garlic press, waste of time, i prefer to chop the garlic with a knife.

Regarding the smell on my hands, the garlic masks some of the other smells on my hands.:cheesy:????:cheesy:????

It's not about saving time or the like.

I recently heard a professional chef say that garlic should never be pressed but sliced.

Has something to do with taste/flavor.

(I would have to search for the exact argument)

Seems similar with onions. Always use a sharp knife.

No pressing/crushing.

Thanks for your replies. If the garlic press is not used, it would be easy to burn the gingers as they are peeled by hands. However my family members are not willing to use it as it will waste time. What would you think? 

Many restaurants and home chefs now buy already crushed garlic by the jar.  Quick and easy.

One new food trend I recently read about is "Black Garlic", apparently a very pungent, almost molassassy additive to sauces.  It's made by putting regular whole garlic bulbs in a rice cooker on a wooden trivet and cooked only on low for about 12 days (It was recommended to be placed outside as the smell can be strong)

The garlic in the cloves turns a charcoal black but does not taste burnt, but is a far different character than normal garlic.  Adventurous home chefs might want to check it out on Google or YouTube.

I just did some search about the topic and now remember what the argument was.

Pressed/crushed garlic tends to taste bitter/strong.

But there seem to be "religious wars" when to cut and when to press :biggrin:

Much support from top chefs for cutting.

Some say it depends on the dish you want to cook.

Thanks for the above replies, which are sensible to me. Yes, the garlic should be sliced, not peeled. 

What do you think of the above garlic as mentioned? Is it of good use? I am not sure. I would like to listen to your views. Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

As somebody who spent his working life in commercial kitchens, I bet I can work quicker with a knife than you can with a garlic press, especially with large quantities.

Yes, if there are large quantities, it is quicker with a knife than with a garlic press. However for certain quantity, it does depend on the skills and efficiency. If one can work with a garlic press quickly, it is as similarly efficient as with a knife.   

2 hours ago, chanming said:

if I don't use a garlic press, there will be some smell on the hands. 

If you rub your fingers on the (steel) blade of the knife under running water the smell will be gone. Same for onions etc.

Just don´t cut your fingers off!!

9 minutes ago, pikao said:

If you rub your fingers on the (steel) blade of the knife under running water the smell will be gone. Same for onions etc.

Just don´t cut your fingers off!!

Thanks for your advice. I will just try it based on what you mentioned. Thanks again for your help. 

I just use a little grater,like Thai's use when cooking,

or sometimes,peal it and whack it with the flat side of 

a knife,for Italian dishes I slice it ,I also have a garlic press,

used it a couple of times I think.

regards Worgeordie

Anthony Bourdain hated garlic presses, but I can't remember why. He was a classically trained chef and said all savoury food tasted better with the addition of butter, the more the better, and sprinkled with finely chopped parsley.

I've got a small mortar and pestle about 1 - 1 1/2 cup size, I use the mortar base to smash the garlic then peel and mash up with the pestle...when ginger and fresh chiles are required like for a 'garlic paste' then grate (former) and/or deseed (chile) and throw in with the garlic and mash up together...works pretty good for curries...chop by hand for other applications like dressings with oil and vinegar, etc...

easy cleanup just rinse with water...

I wonder why chefs don't use mortars and pestles more often. I bet I could peel and mash 3 heads in under a minute with one of those giant somtam buckets, lol. Always thought it tasted better that way too.

Just a thought from someone likely unqualified to have thoughts. Carry on

my mortar and pestle is a turned wooden arrangement that I got in saudi (south asians use the same to mash up stuff and spices as well) and I've seen the same (not the heavy stone ones) in thai supermarkets as well...the mortar can take up to a head of smashed garlic, a grated thumb of ginger and some chiles but when loaded up like that ye need a bigger pestle like the ones that they use with the thai stone mortars for somtam, etc...the big pestle also duplicates as a rolling pin when making flour tortillas, chapattis, etc...

a uniquely multipurpose arrangement; use the mortar base to smash the garlic and then peel easily and mash up in the usual way with the garlic, ginger and chiles and then while the curry is simmering use the pestle to roll out yer chapatti dough for cooking...and then use the pestle to bludgeon any thai that comes into yer kitchen to complain about the south asian cumin/coriander/tumeric cooking smell as they are wont to do...

I think a garlic press releases more of the oils than chopping with a knife.

The last time I bought a cheap Chinese garlic press off Ebay, it didn't work. The garlic just stayed in the small space in the press due to the 2 halves not fitting flush together properly when closed.

So went back to using a knife.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:27 AM, KhunBENQ said:

It's not about saving time or the like.

I recently heard a professional chef say that garlic should never be pressed but sliced.

Has something to do with taste/flavor.

(I would have to search for the exact argument)

Seems similar with onions. Always use a sharp knife.

No pressing/crushing.

Gordon Ramsey crushes it with his hand in some of his steak frying videos 

Wafer thin with a sharp knife will get more flavour out of it than hand crushed tho

Archived