Home Bread Making

sharktooth

39 minutes ago, robblok said:

Is the postage cost not the same all over Thailand ?

Yes it is but they wanted a minimum order in weight and I had no need to order 20 kg (I think) of flour at a time.

Add to that I found that their prices were quite high but the quality seemed very good.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, steve73 said:

makro... white bread flour (in the green bag) 34-38 bt/kg.

That's the one I use also, though I mix it 75/25 with the Australian wholemeal flour that is sold in small paper bags for about 25B. Makro dont do those but Tops does.

I find that 75/25 mix gives me a decent rise and also a decent texture and taste, unlike 100% white. I suppose 66/33 would be good also.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

That's the one I use also, though I mix it 75/25 with the Australian wholemeal flour that is sold in small paper bags for about 25B. Makro dont do those but Tops does.

I find that 75/25 mix gives me a decent rise and also a decent texture and taste, unlike 100% white. I suppose 66/33 would be good also.

No Tops around me.. and I've never seen wholemeal flour anywhere local.. That's why I'm always trying lots of other ingredients, as I posted a few weeks ago on this thread..

I live inbetween Pattaya and Sattahip, we have a well stocked bakers shop. Yes I use the white flour in green bags 30 odd baht, the last time I went down I bought some whole wheat flour 75 baht a kilo. Mixed 4 cups of white with 3 whole wheat + 4 table spoons of sunflower seeds. The result was two very large cobs, in all honesty it was a little too whole wheaty for me, so will try 5 and 2 cups next time.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

When I make bread rolls or bread I usually add 250g of that rye flour to around 850g of the Green Swan brand bread flour.

The next batch I make I will chuck in the whole 450g bag and reduce the white flour to about 700g and see how that turns out.

3 hours ago, steve73 said:

No Tops around me.. and I've never seen wholemeal flour anywhere local.. That's why I'm always trying lots of other ingredients, as I posted a few weeks ago on this thread..

Where do you live?

My nearest Tops is 65 km away up in Khampaeng Phet but I go up there once or twice a month and keep the rye flour topped up.

36 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Is that Mam's or somewhere else?

I don't know Mams, infact I don't know the name of this place, but if your travelling from pattaya to Sattahip you go past the 332 which is the road to Rayong but keep on Sukhumvit and the bakery is about a mile further on from the 332. Have included a screenshot of the bakery.

Screenshot_2019-01-21-23-22-16-056.thumb.jpeg.6ddf08ba37930ebb9fec33392f8624a9.jpeg

On 1/21/2019 at 6:52 PM, vogie said:

I live inbetween Pattaya and Sattahip, we have a well stocked bakers shop. Yes I use the white flour in green bags 30 odd baht, the last time I went down I bought some whole wheat flour 75 baht a kilo. Mixed 4 cups of white with 3 whole wheat + 4 table spoons of sunflower seeds. The result was two very large cobs, in all honesty it was a little too whole wheaty for me, so will try 5 and 2 cups next time.

Just tried 4.5 full cups of white flour and 1.5 cups of whole wheat, in all honesty it still is a little too wheaty for me.

IMG_20190122_152820.jpg

On 1/21/2019 at 6:45 PM, steve73 said:

I'd be very sad without YoK in Chiang Mai, white bread flour 32bht/kg, wholewheat flour 38bht/kg.

You must have a Thai baking outlet nearby, where do your local bakeries source their supplies?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I'd be very sad without YoK in Chiang Mai, white bread flour 32bht/kg, wholewheat flour 38bht/kg.

You must have a Thai baking outlet nearby, where do your local bakeries source their supplies?

I know an English baker nearby who gets his supplies delivered from Bangkok (200km)... but I don't need 25kg at a time..!

8 hours ago, vogie said:

Just tried 4.5 full cups of white flour and 1.5 cups of whole wheat, in all honesty it still is a little too wheaty for me.

IMG_20190122_152820.jpg

Did a bake today and excluded all the whole wheat using white flour only, but did put in 4 large tablespoons of sunflower seeds. Made 3 cobs, each cob I cut into 6 pieces and freeze, 18 segments in total. Worked out quite well.

IMG_20190123_173739.jpg

Productive afternoon in the kitchen and this little lot should see me through the next couple of weeks. White buns. Italian herb & parmesan cheese half loaves, white loaves and a pineapple upside down cake.

White loaves are not as good as usual. I should have given them a little more rise time.

I know the upside down cake is a bit 1970s but I had a pineapple spare and it is a throw back to my childhood. The kids should find it a novelty and it won't last long.

As for me ....... got some roast pork in the oven and a pack of stuffing in the cupboard. Off to get some beer. Happy days.

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1084 (1).JPG

1 minute ago, pagan1 said:

Productive afternoon in the kitchen and this little lot should see me through the next couple of weeks. White buns. Italian herb & parmesan cheese half loaves, white loaves and a pineapple upside down cake.

White loaves are not as good as usual. I should have given them a little more rise time.

I know the upside down cake is a bit 1970s but I had a pineapple spare and it is a throw back to my childhood. The kids should find it a novelty and it won't last long.

As for me ....... got some roast pork in the oven and a pack of stuffing in the cupboard. Off to get some beer. Happy days.

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1084 (1).JPG

You're da man.

40 minutes ago, pagan1 said:

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1084 (1).JPG

Where did you get the stuffing from?

On 1/21/2019 at 11:46 PM, vogie said:

I don't know Mams, infact I don't know the name of this place, but if your travelling from pattaya to Sattahip you go past the 332 which is the road to Rayong but keep on Sukhumvit and the bakery is about a mile further on from the 332. Have included a screenshot of the bakery.

I had a look in this place. It is surprisingly well stocked with many cake-related items that I have not often seen elsewhere. They also sold loose butter which again I have never seen elsewhere.

But the two downsides were:

1. Hardly anything had a price on that I could read. This immediately puts me right off.

2. They didnt seem to have any flour apart from the standard supermarket 1kg bags of white flour (though they were selling them in packs of 10) and the equally standard large wholesale sacks that Makro also has.

I was hoping to be able to buy wholemeal flour by the kilo, but apparently not. So I will probably stick with the Aussie wholemeal flour in the one pound bags at Tops.

Still, an interesting shop for anyone who wants to do cake baking etc.

Stuffing from Tesco Lotus. 

Both the stores local to me (20km) had stuffing through  most of last year, Foolishly I asumned it was a stock item. however come December the shelves were bare and all I had left for Christmas were a couple of packs in the cupboard.

Tops also had stuffing but I didn't rate it and it was double the price and half the size of the Tesco brand.

Note Tesco Lotus seem to stock it on the top shelf so make sure to look up

IMG_1085.JPG

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I had a look in this place. It is surprisingly well stocked with many cake-related items that I have not often seen elsewhere. They also sold loose butter which again I have never seen elsewhere.

But the two downsides were:

1. Hardly anything had a price on that I could read. This immediately puts me right off.

2. They didnt seem to have any flour apart from the standard supermarket 1kg bags of white flour (though they were selling them in packs of 10) and the equally standard large wholesale sacks that Makro also has.

I was hoping to be able to buy wholemeal flour by the kilo, but apparently not. So I will probably stick with the Aussie wholemeal flour in the one pound bags at Tops.

Still, an interesting shop for anyone who wants to do cake baking etc.

They sell the green, the orange and the blue flour, they have wholemeal flour too 75 baht, you don't have to buy in packs of 10. The guy that works there speaks perfect english, his wife is not too bad either. Here is the wholemeal flour they sell. On the shelf nearest the side door they have many brands of flour.

IMG_20190124_193755.jpg

Vogie - I have had similar results to yourself with this wholemeal flour. Have tried at 50%, 30%, 20% and 10% mix with the Swan Green, I can get it to rise but the texture never seems right and it tastes chalky.

Aldo tried it using treacle in place of sugar. Got a good rise and colour but still did not taste right (although a little sweeter)

Tempted to buy some bulk flour but as highlighted there is a premium cost & shipping from Schwartz (?)  and their nearest stores are 5 hrs from me.

Like you I have found an interesting little store near me that has all kinds of stuff hidden away in stock (including powdered cream which I thought I would try. Having bought a pack I found out you need a presurised cylinder (they dont stock it) and a gas canister (they do stock). Guess its like the old soda stream systems.

Happy to come across so many bakers here. Our mums taught us well ......bet you can darn socks too ????

quote "Our mums taught us well ......bet you can darn socks too".

My Mum wouldn't teach me anything about bread making but there were the general stores who sold real bread back in the 1950s which is what we used to buy.

When I joined the RAF as a Boy Entrant I was issued with a "hussif" or housewife which was a sewing kit that included sewing needles, wool etc and a mushroom designed for darning socks.

I learnt a lot in the early days some of which I still use today in my slightly modern version of the hussif, so no darning mushroom, but I have no wollen socks any way.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30016350

3 hours ago, vogie said:

Here is the wholemeal flour they sell. On the shelf nearest the side door they have many brands of flour.

I thought they probably would have it somewhere, but I didnt see it. I didnt try very hard as I have a couple of kgs of the Aussie flour to get through, and I really only went there to check it out. I will look harder next time.

16 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Help needed. I made some bread rolls/baps from a recipe saying soft white fluffy jobs. Followed it precisely.

They came out very dense and heavy. Why please?

They didnt rise (yes, I know, I get the prize for stating the bleeding obvious). The usual reasons for dough not rising are:

too much salt (or salt getting into contact with the yeast before the other ingredients are mixed in)

not enough yeast (or no yeast, or dead yeast: see above)

too hot water (see above)

not enough time allowed

too much time allowed

too much kneading

ambient temperature too hot or too cold (both very unlikely here)

Then you have less likely reasons like no mixing, something nasty in the water, wrong sort of flour or something nasty in it, oven temperature way off, local nuclear power plant leak, MIB etc.

And I suppose it could just have been a very bad recipe. I've come across a few of those in my time.

Basically if you have 400g of white bread flour, 280g of clean water, 10g of yeast and 6g of salt it should work every single time without fail, even without kneading.

8 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

They didnt rise (yes, I know, I get the prize for stating the bleeding obvious). The usual reasons for dough not rising are:

too much salt (or salt getting into contact with the yeast before the other ingredients are mixed in)

not enough yeast (or no yeast, or dead yeast: see above)

too hot water (see above)

not enough time allowed

too much time allowed

too much kneading

ambient temperature too hot or too cold (both very unlikely here)

Then you have less likely reasons like no mixing, something nasty in the water, wrong sort of flour or something nasty in it, oven temperature way off, local nuclear power plant leak, MIB etc.

And I suppose it could just have been a very bad recipe. I've come across a few of those in my time.

Basically if you have 400g of white bread flour, 280g of clean water, 10g of yeast and 6g of salt it should work every single time without fail, even without kneading.

Thanks for advice. I used a French recipe, 500 flour, 300 room temp water, 1 tsp each yeast & salt. Mix, leave 45 mins then knead a bit, leave 45 mins and knead again ...4 times. Shape and bake. Will try again tomorrow when I have struggled thru eating the tough ones!

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I used a French recipe, 500 flour, 300 room temp water, 1 tsp each yeast & salt.

Well, I would say that the flour/water ratio is a little bit off, and I think that teaspoons are an archaic and inaccurate way of measuring something like yeast and salt where you can kill the yeast if you get the amount of salt wrong, or make the bread taste nasty even if it doesnt kill the yeast. The amount of flour and water is quite flexible (and it depends on the ambient humidity also) but the salt and yeast have to be spot on, so I always use electronic scales that measure individual grams.

But the main thing missing in your recipe would seem to be the fat: soft rolls need fat to stay soft.

I would try this Paul Hollywood recipe:

http://paulhollywood.com/home/bake-kids/recipes/

He does know how to bake (even if his recipe also includes a stupid half-teaspoon measurement).

The usual time-scale for proving is an hour or until doubled in size, and I always go by the size part rather than the time as it can vary a lot.

22 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Mix, leave 45 mins then knead a bit, leave 45 mins and knead again ...4 times.

Do you mean that you kneaded it 8 times in total and left it for 6 hours? If so that would explain why it didnt rise: way overworked. Or am I reading that wrong?

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

Do you mean that you kneaded it 8 times in total and left it for 6 hours? If so that would explain why it didnt rise: way overworked. Or am I reading that wrong?

No sorry, 4 times. But there are some recipes which say leave for 24 hours without kneading. Very confusing.

I am a beginner at this bread making lark. ! Obviously.

8 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

No sorry, 4 times. But there are some recipes which say leave for 24 hours without kneading. Very confusing.

I think over-kneading may be the problem. I would try letting it double in size once, then knock it back gently (dont knead it) and form it into the final shape, then leave it alone to double in size again. After that second rise it should go into the oven just like that without being knocked back again.

Try that Paul Hollywood recipe as it should work just fine.

Those 24-hour no-kneading recipes also work well and are the basic idea behind sour dough: long proving times with little or no packet yeast. They also generally have a higher ratio of water too. You do get a much more interesting structure that way, but it would not be very nice for baps. More suitable for crusty country loaves to eat with paté and such-like, or for toast.

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Thanks for advice. I used a French recipe, 500 flour, 300 room temp water, 1 tsp each yeast & salt. Mix, leave 45 mins then knead a bit, leave 45 mins and knead again ...4 times. Shape and bake. Will try again tomorrow when I have struggled thru eating the tough ones!

What - No sugar?  I always add a teaspoon of sugar which is much easier for the yeast to digest than relying on it "eating" the starch in the flour.  For a multi-kneaded bread you might even want to add a little more for the last 2 kneads.

But if you're saying it didn't rise at all (or hardly at all), it could be if you're using tap water (which can have too much chlorine here).  Always fresh use bottled water.

If you've only just started, check your yeast supply.. it could be a old batch, that's not as active as fresh stuff.. or it's been poorly stored before you bought it.  Even the freeze-dried stuff can get damaged if its stored for a short period at too hot a temperature.  I had problems occasionally with the small bottles that I used when I started making bread.  Now I use the 500mg packs from Makro and once opened keep them in a jar in the fridge..  usually lasts around 6 months before getting a bit "lazy".  

You can "test" your yeast by mixing it with water and sugar in a bottle and make sure it froths up in an hour or so.. (then add some ginger, and make your own ginger beer!!!)

Archived