Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

3.  If it's much too warm during the "proving" (rising) stage it can rise too fast & too much, then I've noticed it will often collapse during cooking.  Breadmakers usually have to warm it a little at this stage; ideally around 25C, but often it's a little too warm in T/L.  Perhaps add a little more sugar to give the yeast extra "food".

Breadmakers have thermostats, it's always the right temperature for rising.

Falling is nearly always too much water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Breadmakers have thermostats, it's always the right temperature for rising.

 

Not if the ambient temperature is too high.. it can easily be too "hot" here.

Not everyone has A/C to keep it down.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

We're using bread machines, it's different.

My bread machine broke down after about 5 years and I now use a stand mixer and my table top oven. It takes longer but that is due to the 1 hour first and second rises and the 25 minute baking times.

 

It gives me the time to wash up and put things away.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

My bread machine broke down after about 5 years and I now use a stand mixer and my table top oven. It takes longer but that is due to the 1 hour first and second rises and the 25 minute baking times.

 

It gives me the time to wash up and put things away.

And maybe a small Singha?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And maybe a small Singha?

Nah. It would be Hong Thong, soda and ice but I try not to start on that until the evening so I generally settle for a Nescafe 3 in 1 coffee.

Edited by billd766
edited for bad spelling after I had posted it.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Nah. It would be Hong Thong, soda and ice but I try not to start on that until the evening so I generally settle for a Nescafe 3 in 1 coffee.

Do your baking in the evening then !  A la Keith Floyd with a few slurps now & then. Cheers.

 

Did you read the ingredients in 3 in 1 coffee? Why not just drink sugar and water. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had the same problem before and have used this recipe in my bread machine for years. Comes out great every time. Since you are in Chiang Mai, be sure to stop into YOK Inter store for ingredients. A great place for all bakers!!

 

Honey Whole Wheat Bread Ingredients:

Cooking Directions:

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/8 cups warm water -- (110 degrees)
3 Tbl honey
1/3 Tsp salt
1 cups whole-wheat flour
2 cups bread flour
2 Tbl Olive oil
2 Tbl  Oregano

1 1/2 Tsp active dry yeast
1  Tsp Molasses

1  Tbl Milk


Add ingredients according to the manufacturer's directions to your bread machine. Use the wheat bread cycle and light color setting.

This recipe yields a 1 pound loaf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sharktooth,  Which bread maker do you use?  I am looking to by a break maker so I would appreciate any recommendations.  I also live in CM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bprhodes said:

Sharktooth,  Which bread maker do you use?  I am looking to by a break maker so I would appreciate any recommendations.  I also live in CM.

I was using a Clarte breadmaker (2,000bht Lazada) but the drive belt has just broken for the second time in 6 months, repair is free but takes 2 weeks, gonna bin that one.

Just ordered a Morries breadmaker (4,500bht Lazada) hoping that will be a bit more reliable.

thought about Petrus breadmakers around 3,100-3,500bht usually mislisted as toasters or noodle makers.

 

Nothing much available locally in Chiang Mai.

Edited by BritManToo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have been doing bread with bread makers for many years, as I can recall my bread only collapsed twice, consecutive batches, reason being bad yeast.

 

I always use dry yeast that comes in small glass bottles.

 

My 2 cents to the conversation...

 

Ambient temperature does not influence the success or failure of baking.

 

I've always followed the suggestions that I found online for successful bread making:

- Put all the liquids and salt first

- Flower next

- Make a small hole with your finger on top and put the yeast in

 

I don't use scale to measure, always use a cup for flower and water, and Tbsp/tsp for the other stuff. A bit more or less quantity, in my experience also does not affect the end result.

 

Using only wheat flower, less yeast, otherwise it will overflow. Local white flower is ok, but for much better quality and taste use imported flower, that comes in brown paper bags. Readily available in most supermarkets (not Big C or Tesco)

 

I usually make a 1kg loaf, prefer a more compact and darker bread and use the following:

-2 1/2 cups of wheat

- 2 cups of rye

- 1 plain yogurt

- 350cl water, room temperature

- 1 1/2 tsp salt

- 2 Tsp olive oil

- 1 Tsp honey

- 2 Tsp apple cider vinegar

- 2 Tsp of cocoa

- 2 tsp caraway seeds

 

Finally, after the 40 min it takes to mix and rest, once the machine beeps and starts the next mixing cycle, I pour a cup full of seeds inside (mix of sunflower and flax seeds). By the way, adding seeds never made any difference to the outcome.

 

Once it's done, let it rest for 1 hr, cut a few slices and put on some butter... heaven in your mouth.....

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was using a Clarte breadmaker (2,000bht Lazada) but the drive belt has just broken for the second time in 6 months, repair is free but takes 2 weeks, gonna bin that one.
Just ordered a Morries breadmaker (4,500bht Lazada) hoping that will be a bit more reliable.
thought about Petrus breadmakers around 3,100-3,500bht usually mislisted as toasters or noodle makers.
 
Nothing much available locally in Chiang Mai.

Was looking at the Morries this morning, not a bread maker myself but this thread is converting me, be interested in your opinion of the Morries .
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ehs818 said:

I've had the same problem before and have used this recipe in my bread machine for years. Comes out great every time. Since you are in Chiang Mai, be sure to stop into YOK Inter store for ingredients. A great place for all bakers!!

 

Honey Whole Wheat Bread Ingredients:

Cooking Directions:

 

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/8 cups warm water -- (110 degrees)
3 Tbl honey
1/3 Tsp salt
1 cups whole-wheat flour
2 cups bread flour
2 Tbl Olive oil
2 Tbl  Oregano

 

1 1/2 Tsp active dry yeast
1  Tsp Molasses

 

1  Tbl Milk

 


Add ingredients according to the manufacturer's directions to your bread machine. Use the wheat bread cycle and light color setting.

This recipe yields a 1 pound loaf.

 

Yeah I’ve been to Yok twice now and only buying and using the good stuff. Will take a run down to Bakers Mart later as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bprhodes said:

Sharktooth,  Which bread maker do you use?  I am looking to by a break maker so I would appreciate any recommendations.  I also live in CM.

I bought the HomeMate bread maker from Lazada for 5,950. I think Yok wanted 6,900 for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...