Home Bread Making

sharktooth

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My new Morries bread machine arrived ealier today, and this is the first 500gm Whole Wheat loaf out of it

(my usual recipe).

morries bread.jpg

Did you get the bread maker with the collapsable paddle as I can't see an hole at the bottom of your loaf.

Just downloaded a bread making app from Play Store, see if I can get a little bit more adventurous with my bread making.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/3/2019 at 12:33 PM, KittenKong said:

I've done bread like that myself. The trick is the Dutch Oven effect which keeps the humidity up in the container.

Yes, the technique does make nice bread. Shame the video uses those ridiculous US measurements: cups, spoons, jiggers, etc. Why cant they just measure by weight like everyone else? So easy, no need for interpretation and impossible to get wrong.

Do you not have a cup or teaspoon in your kitchen? There are conversion tables on Google.

47 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Do you not have a cup or teaspoon in your kitchen? There are conversion tables on Google.

Kittenkong is absolutely right. These US measurements are ridiculous. I do have a cup, but which one - the small cup, the medium sized or the big one ? These measures like cup, spoon etc. look to me as having survived from the medieval age. Above there is a reason why physics uses the metric system worldwide - so it is kg or grams - not pounds, lbs. or even something worse as well.

4 minutes ago, moogradod said:

These measures like cup, spoon etc. look to me as having survived from the mediaval age. Above there is a reason why physics uses the metric system worldwide - so it is kg or grams - not pounds, lbs. or even something worse as well.

Powder tends to be compactable, so a cup, poured and then levelled, may be more accurate than weighing. 

Also a cup of whole wheat flour weights significantly more than a cup of white bread flour.

I measure my flour in cups (sitting on a digital scales), then at the end top up with white bread flour so the 750gm loaf mix weighs 750gm before putting in the bread machine. It seems to work for me.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Powder tends to be compactable, so a cup, poured and then levelled, may be more accurate than weighing. 

Also a cup of whole wheat flour weights significantly more than a cup of white bread flour.

Going on moogradod as well, it's all down to volume or weight. And yes, weight would be much easier. But do we use the NEW standard for a kilogram they have just introduced, or still the block of rusting platinum in Paris.   LOL.    https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/food/cups-to-grams-converter-87833

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

You can find conversion charts here.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/how-to/44/cooking-conversions.aspx

Electricity °C Electricity (fan) °C Gas Mark Fahrenheit
Very cool 110 90 ¼  
  120 100 ½  
Cool 140 120 1   275 degrees F
  150 130 2   300 degrees F
Moderate 160 140 3   325 degrees F
  180 160 4   350 degrees F
Moderately hot 190 170 5   375 degrees F
  200 180 6   400 degrees F
  210 190     410 degrees F
Hot 220 200 7   425 degrees F
  230 210 8   450 degrees F
Very hot 240 220 9   475 degrees F
  250 210 10   500 degrees F

You can also buy the proper measures in BigC, Makro, Tops, Villa and places like that,

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I do, but who knows if my cup and teaspoon are the same sizes as the ones in the recipe?
And I also have a cheap and very accurate digital scale, that comes with a built-in tare function. I see no reason why I should faff around converting cups and pinches and teaspoons and pints when a simple "x grams" would suffice.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds like someone didn't do physics at school. Which is heavier: a kilo of lead or a kilo of feathers? And which occupies more space? And what difference does it make anyway as long as both weigh the same?

In which case there is clearly a crying need for recipes that only use weights. 175g of white flour is always 175g.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

You can find conversion charts here.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/how-to/44/cooking-conversions.aspx

Electricity °C Electricity (fan) °C Gas Mark Fahrenheit
Very cool 110 90 ¼  
  120 100 ½  
Cool 140 120 1   275 degrees F
  150 130 2   300 degrees F
Moderate 160 140 3   325 degrees F
  180 160 4   350 degrees F
Moderately hot 190 170 5   375 degrees F
  200 180 6   400 degrees F
  210 190     410 degrees F
Hot 220 200 7   425 degrees F
  230 210 8   450 degrees F
Very hot 240 220 9   475 degrees F
  250 210 10   500 degrees F

You can also buy the proper measures in BigC, Makro, Tops, Villa and places like that,

I am very sorry, but cups etc are no longer from this earth. Only your (digital) scales tells you  what the weight is. Water percentage is measured against flour and it makes a difference if you have 60% or 62% of hydration. It is not the end of the world though, but oz and lb are not professional.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I measure my flour in cups (sitting on a digital scales), then at the end top up with white bread flour so the 750gm loaf mix weighs 750gm before putting in the bread machine. It seems to work for me.

Not so. Your first line actually states the problem with cups (of flour). It is not accurate and have you ever leveled a cup of water?

Another loaf from the Morries bread machine.

This is a 750gm candied orange peel and raisin Whole Wheat loaf

(I put stuff left over from making mincemeat pies at Xmas in the automatic dispenser)

Because the bread tin is a bit too big for the paddle, you do need to put your hands in at 1hr 55 mins remaining and even out the dough, else it comes out a bit lopsided.

orange and current.jpg

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

(I put stuff left over from making mincemeat pies at Xmas in the automatic dispenser)

Because the bread tin is a bit too big for the paddle, you do need to put your hands in at 1hr 55 mins remaining and even out the dough a bit, else it comes out a bit lopsided.

orange and current.jpg

Morries is good in hiding the add-ons or did you put only 2 raisins in it.

Never mind just joking. Shape looks quite good, a bit pale, but that is English style I was told.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I thought I used more than two, sadly I have to wait another 20 minutes until it's cool enough to cut and find out.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I thought I used more than two, sadly I have to wait another 20 minutes until it's cool enough to cut and find out.

I hope for you the raisins didn't go to the bottom. Let us know.

what? neither toothpaste nor dishwashing liquid and no shaving foam? :crazy:

3 hours ago, hugocnx said:

I am very sorry, but cups etc are no longer from this earth. Only your (digital) scales tells you  what the weight is. Water percentage is measured against flour and it makes a difference if you have 60% or 62% of hydration. It is not the end of the world though, but oz and lb are not professional.

And the conversion chart give the different in sizes and weights between the US, UK and Grams/ millilitres.

I do all my baking in gm or ml and I just use the cups and tsp/tsp to ladle the stuff out onto my digital scales +/- a bit.

BTW oz and lbs ARE professional if you are in the UK.

3 hours ago, hugocnx said:

Not so. Your first line actually states the problem with cups (of flour). It is not accurate and have you ever leveled a cup of water?

I just chuck it in the mixing bowl on the scale and measure the water in a measuring jug,

It works for me and I am not pedantic to the nearest gram or millilitre.

OK, after the measurement questions have been all sorted out why not get back to the real thing: Bread making. As a German national I am spoiled for I believe that bread from Germany is one of the best you can ever get. Living now in Switzerland it is already quite hard to find something palatable. The Swiss produce quite nice croissants but when it comes to sourdough rye bread their skills come obviously to an end - or it is simply not their national taste. In Thailand it is even a bit worse (but croissants = acceptable/good). The only bread I have tasted there which is near acceptable is the bread at THB 97.-- in Big C Exra Pattaya. So the question arises: How to make a rye sourdough bread yourself in LOS. We have a Panasonic Bread Maker in our condo there. I suspect that the climate in Thailand might not be favourable to produce sourdough for this one needs to mature outside for some time. And no idea where to get the ingredients. Any ideas for Rye Sourdough Bread ?

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

So the question arises: How to make a rye sourdough bread yourself in LOS. We have a Panasonic Bread Maker in our condo there. I suspect that the climate in Thailand might not be favourable to produce sourdough for this one needs to mature outside for some time. And no idea where to get the ingredients. Any ideas for Rye Sourdough Bread ?

Sour dough starter actually makes itself, with a little help. No special ingredients needed.

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/sourdough_starter_22976

There are many other recipes available.

If you cant be bothered with all that then Friendship supermarket in Pattaya (commercial cooking building) sells packets of flour with dried sour dough starter already mixed in. I tried one but found it to be quite a lot of money for nothing special. They also have various types of flour.

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

BTW oz and lbs ARE professional if you are in the UK.

I don't know about that Bill. Did the EU not say, and the UK followed, that all produce must be sold in metric. Milk in litres not pints anymore, market traders had to sell fruit & veg in kilos, or they could get done. Wine & spirits in pubs in ml. Pertol in litres. The only thing left Imperial was a pint of beer. 

BUT next March ?????? 

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

American 1 cup is 240ml, but Japanese 1 cup is 200ml. It’s a big difference particularly if you are baking

Not necessarily, as long as you use the same cup-size (32A or 36C) for your flour & water, then the percentages will be the same. 

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Not necessarily, as long as you use the same cup-size (32A or 36C) for your flour & water, then the percentages will be the same. 

But then you need to use different size teaspoons for the other ingredients...! (although these are not quite so critical).

;-))

Archived