Home Bread Making

sharktooth

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Next questions... seeds? Grind them and or soak them prior? And brown or white sugar?

White loaf - white sugar.

Don't soak flex seeds. Other depend on how hard they remain after baking. Trial.... Never grind if only you hate the whole seeds.

58 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

White loaf - white sugar.

Don't soak flex seeds. Other depend on how hard they remain after baking. Trial.... Never grind if only you hate the whole seeds.

Can we digest poppy and sesame seeds if they are whole?

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Sour dough starter actually makes itself, with a little help. No special ingredients needed.

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/sourdough_starter_22976

There are many other recipes available.

If you cant be bothered with all that then Friendship supermarket in Pattaya (commercial cooking building) sells packets of flour with dried sour dough starter already mixed in. I tried one but found it to be quite a lot of money for nothing special. They also have various types of flour.

Thanks KittenKong. Will have a look at Friendship supermarket. I can imagine the mixture is (like all foreign food everywhere) expensive but we will try it at least once as you did. If it works then we look into making the starter ourselves.

17 hours ago, sharktooth said:

I asked “does yeast NOT eat brown sugar”, you said ‘yes’. 

Sorry, you are right. Didn't read that all to well.

Yes, yeast does eat brown sugar. In fact all kinds of sugars, direct or indirect.

Like in a sour dough starter, yeast lives of the flour.

18 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

Yes, yeast does eat brown sugar. In fact all kinds of sugars, direct or indirect.

Thanks. Next question, if the yeast eats the sugar does it make any difference what type we use? Also, what happens if we replace sugar with honey?

24 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

18 hours ago, sharktooth said:

I asked “does yeast NOT eat brown sugar”, you said ‘yes’. 

My eyes read what sharktooth said but my brain scanned it as I thought it was supposed to read.

1 minute ago, sharktooth said:

Thanks. Next question, if the yeast eats the sugar does it make any difference what type we use? Also, what happens if we replace sugar with honey?

This time you didn't read my post well ????

I wrote In fact all kinds of sugars, direct or indirect. So honey as well.

1 minute ago, hugocnx said:

This time you didn't read my post well ????

I wrote In fact all kinds of sugars, direct or indirect. So honey as well.

So why do some recipes specify white or brown sugar or even honey, if the yeast eats it?

On 1/6/2019 at 3:14 PM, sharktooth said:

And brown or white sugar?

Unless you are making a sweet loaf (in which case you want the sweetness to remain and the yeast certainly wont eat all of it) then you dont really need to add sugar at all. The flour contains plenty for the yeast to work on.

One of the main reasons for adding sugar is because it improves the Maillard reaction which gives a tasty and nicely coloured result especially on the crust. Also - if you use proper brown sugar and not just coloured white sugar - it will give a slight molasses flavour which is also very nice in a brown loaf.

One other trick: spray the surface of the loaf with a salt water solution as you put it into the oven. This will encourage a nice crispy crust on French-style loaves.

17 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Unless you are making a sweet loaf (in which case you want the sweetness to remain and the yeast certainly wont eat all of it) then you dont really need to add sugar at all. The flour contains plenty for the yeast to work on.

One of the main reasons for adding sugar is because it improves the Maillard reaction which gives a tasty and nicely coloured result especially on the crust. Also - if you use proper brown sugar and not just coloured white sugar - it will give a slight molasses flavour which is also very nice in a brown loaf.

One other trick: spray the surface of the loaf with a salt water solution as you put it into the oven. This will encourage a nice crispy crust on French-style loaves.

This thread is about bread machines.

The yeast needs sugar for the forced rise & there isn't an oven.

I did do a few Malt loaves in my bread machine, it worked quite well, Yok had molasses, and I uses Ovaltine for the malt. 

9 hours ago, sharktooth said:

So why do some recipes specify white or brown sugar or even honey, if the yeast eats it?

You might use brown sugar in whole wheat bread for a deeper flavor and a deeper color. So is the case as well with honey. It's about preference. Make a WW bread with white sugar, please do so. Honey in white bread is also a nice flavor and it doesn't change color that much. Brown sugar in white bread does though. It's actually common sense and as far as extra ingredients, you are your own master. Make all sorts of combinations as you want. There are only a couple of religions. Hydration is one of them, salt and yeast too.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This thread is about bread machines.

The yeast needs sugar for the forced rise & there isn't an oven.

A bread machine is an oven.

Sugar is never needed in normal bread though it may be desirable for the reasons I gave.

49 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

You might use brown sugar in whole wheat bread for a deeper flavor and a deeper color. So is the case as well with honey. It's about preference. Make a WW bread with white sugar, please do so. Honey in white bread is also a nice flavor and it doesn't change color that much. Brown sugar in white bread does though. It's actually common sense and as far as extra ingredients, you are your own master. Make all sorts of combinations as you want. There are only a couple of religions. Hydration is one of them, salt and yeast too.

I've tried many different kinds of extra ingredients; curry powder, chili, chocolate ovaltine, fresh chopped onions and tomatoes (sun dried is better, but unless you do it yourself they're outrageously expensive here), garlic, oregano (dried), chopped fresh mint, etc..... Almost every loaf I make is different - some end up much better than others.... but they all get eaten. 

Can anybody else recommend their own favourites..?     

22 hours ago, steve73 said:

I've tried many different kinds of extra ingredients; curry powder, chili, chocolate ovaltine, fresh chopped onions and tomatoes (sun dried is better, but unless you do it yourself they're outrageously expensive here), garlic, oregano (dried), chopped fresh mint, etc..... Almost every loaf I make is different - some end up much better than others.... but they all get eaten. 

Can anybody else recommend their own favourites..?     

You are the baker man!

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Candied orange peel and raisin.

Hahne Crunchy Fruit Muesli

Toasted flax and chia seed 

Don't forget it is also about what you put ON your bread.

Some nice cooked ham?...I don't need nothing more than real butter on my simple made bread, butter like ElleVire.

Maybe not available everywhere, but at Yok Chiang Mai it is. Not cheap, but better than all that Allowrie and other crap.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

reading the various ingredients mixed with flour and call it "bread" after heating it up in a "machine" must be a serious criminal offense in civilised countries.

dog.gif

Please explain as I don't catch your drift here. Maybe my ignorance.

Archived