Tourists and rain blamed as road carnage body count hits 12 in Chiang Mai

webfact

Tourists and rain blamed as road carnage body count hits 12 in Chiang Mai

8pm.jpg

Picture: INN

The deputy governor of Chiang Mai province said officials had done everything they could to limit the death toll on the roads at New Year. 

But despite their "100% efforts" Khomsan Suwanampha admitted that this year had been worse than last. 

Rather than blame the authorities he blamed tourists and the unseasonal rain that claimed the lives of twelve people on the roads in just the first four of the so called "deadly days". 

He promised increased measures to ensure the situation did not further deteriorate, reported INN. 

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-02

unnamed-3-2.jpg
Picture: INN

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, webfact said:

Rather than blame the authorities he blamed tourists and the unseasonal rain that claimed the lives of twelve people on the roads in just the first four of the so called "deadly days".  

Authorities? Rain? Tourists?

I would have blamed bad driving.

What about DUI,nodding off at the wheel,driving without due care and attention,

never passing a driving test,I think these have a lot more to do with accidents

and deaths on Thai roads,but as always blame someone ,something else.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, Phuketshrew said:

Always someone or something else to blame but he missed the brake failures.

They complain when there are not enough tourists coming to CM and when they get some for the New Year they blame them again. Total idiots, look at your stats who is the main offender.

37 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Drunk, drugged, incompetent (no surprise without proper driving school/test etc.pp.).

Rain makes a road slippery and speed has to be adjusted?

Longer break distance?

Never heard of.

Well, your first sentence sums up the police in a nutshell.......just have to address all the mindless morons on the roads now... 

They had no checkpoints or police  around midnight on New year's eve as far as I could see.. 

The checkpoints that they did have leading up to new years Eve was all on the usual spots that every local knows how to avoid...

I even passed through one checkpoint when I was very tired and I didn't have to blow despite that I must have looked Drunk.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Drunk, drugged, incompetent (no surprise without proper driving school/test etc.pp.).

Rain makes a road slippery and speed has to be adjusted?

Longer break distance?

Never heard of.

...and don't forget BRAKE distance.

1 hour ago, hobz said:

They had no checkpoints or police  around midnight on New year's eve as far as I could see.. 

The checkpoints that they did have leading up to new years Eve was all on the usual spots that every local knows how to avoid...

I even passed through one checkpoint when I was very tired and I didn't have to blow despite that I must have looked Drunk.

Looks like you are already very well adjusted to the Thai way of life and driving....

There were extra checkpoints on all roads leading out of town , maybe because of you being tired, you did not notice them. 
In town no, but traffic was so slow and so many tourists walking on the streets , extra checkpoints around the old city would be a waste of time.

I think he has finally cracked it, the reason for the high road death toll has absolutely nothing to do with very poor road maintenance standards, or woeful driving by Thai nationals who are either incompetent or drunk or both and are exemplary examples of Thainess at it's finest. No, it's those pesky tourists and that super annoying rain that persists in falling down instead of up. Where do they find these people?

So what he's claiming is tourists drive around causing all these deaths or most of the deaths are tourists.maybe he should ban all tourists at new year and song Kram from CM and have a zero death toll.100% effort of sweet <deleted> if you ask me.total bs spewing from a moron who should be planting rice.

Why not just speak the truth.   " As you know, to actually have safer roads, my men would have to actually be out of the station and working. We all know that is just not possible. Operating traffic lights is hard enough."

2 hours ago, johnnytuc said:

Pathetic Country

No not a "pathetic country"! The fault lies with the 'Anti-Corruption Organization of Thailand' and the system which puts an IDIOT like Khomsan Suwanampha in the position where he is obviously out of his depth..

47 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

So what he's claiming is tourists drive around causing all these deaths or most of the deaths are tourists.maybe he should ban all tourists at new year and song Kram from CM and have a zero death toll.100% effort of sweet FA if you ask me.total bs spewing from a moron who should be planting rice.

Tourists = visitors to CM from elsewhere in Thailand, mostly Bangkok.  A lot aren't used to mountain roads, esp in the rain.  Probably had a few drinks too.

Archived