few questions about 60 day extension for multi-entry visa

kajito

Hi,

I have a 6-month multi-entry visa. I arrived on Nov 8th, 2018 my TR-60 expires Jan 6th which is Sunday should I have it renewed on Friday the latest or is it better to come in earlier this week? How early should I get to the immigration office (I'm not sure what time they open) and can I expect to have everything taken care of the same day? The 60-day extension will cost $60 (2000) bahts more or less is that right? Other than the passport and fee do I need to bring anything else, proof of address something else?

thanks!

-kaj

7 minutes ago, kajito said:

The 60-day extension will cost $60 (2000) bahts more or less is that right?

I am not aware about a 60 day extension for a tourist visa.

Jan 6th is the end of your first 60 day stay with the multiple(?) tourist visa.

You can extend this stay for 30 days for a fee of 1900 Baht.

After that you have to leave/enter the country to get another 60 day stay.

Maybe I can get @ubonjoe to help with this thread.

You can go to the immigration office anytime from now until the 6th.

I can not help with specifics for CM immgration office (opening hours etc.).

3 minutes ago, kajito said:

From what others have commented on this forum I should be able to get another 2-month extension, not 1 month or maybe I misunderstood. I can't find the thread for my previous post.

If you leave the country, you can get another 2-months tourist visa (max 2 times per year)

But he is talking about not leaving the country and get an extension

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If I read past posts correctly, you can only have two tourist visas per year.

There is a multiple entry tourist visa (only available at home country).

It can be used for 6 months from date of issue.

60 days stay per entry.

If used on latest validity date and adding a 30 day extension you could reach almost 9 months in total.

"METV" is the usual acronym here.

The multi entry TV allows you to leave and then re-enter (for 60 days only) as many times as you like up to the 6 month validity of the visa.

You can extend any of the entries once only by 30 days at an immigration office for 1900bt.

Otherwise you MUST leave the country either before the 60 days are up (or 90 day if extended), otherwise you will be on overstay and subjected to fine and possible bans.

7 minutes ago, kajito said:

From what others have commented on this forum I should be able to get another 2-month extension, not 1 month or maybe I misunderstood. I can't find the thread for my previous post.

Never heard of.

Extension without leaving the country can be done once for 30 days.

60 day extensions are possible for people married to Thai wife or having Thai dependents.

Your visa really is a "TR-M" as indicated on the sticker?

Valid for 6 months?

trm.jpg

16 minutes ago, kajito said:

You would have to leave and re-enter the country to get another 60 day entry from your visa.

You can apply for a 30 day extension of your 60 day entry at a immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

If you are in Chiang Mai it might be more cost effect to do border run for a new 6O day entry at Mae Sai.

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If you leave the country, you can get another 2-months tourist visa (max 2 times per year)

He would get a new 60 day entry from the his multiple entry tourist visa. 

The 2 times a per calendar year is for visa exempt entries at land border crossings. There is no limit if a valid visa is used for entry.

Both my wife and I have the same visa stamped on our passports
she is not Thai we arrived together. We prefer not leave the leave the country so if I apply for an extension at the immigration office in Chiang Mai it can only be 30 days for 1900bt or the option is an 60 day extension but I would have to leave the country
and come back in again is that right with (no fee) is that right? If I leave the country can I do a border crossing to come back the same day or does it have to be by plane?

mutli-visa.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 2 times a per calendar year is for visa exempt entries at land border crossings. There is no limit if a valid visa is used for entry.

I just noticed your post ok so that explains it. What is the nearest border run I can do? 

17 minutes ago, kajito said:

and come back in again is that right with (no fee) is that right? If I leave the country can I do a border crossing to come back the same day or does it have to be by plane?

You can go by air or land. You may have to pay for a visa on entry for the country you are planning to "run" to.

Some places these are free (eg. Singapore, Malaysia), Cambodia is 1000 bt (actually $20, but they only accept bt at the crossings I've used in the past).  Some crossings add an extra charge if you return the same day.

If I do land does that guarantee a 60 day visa extension on re-entry? I heard on this forum that some people got stamped 30 days on re-entry but I'm not sure if it was because they had the single entry visa or no visa. I would hate to schlep 5 hours out to Mae Sai to do a border crossing only to get a 30 day visa on re-entry. 

1 hour ago, kajito said:

Using my multi-entry visa to get an extension by the crossing the border either by land or air is this 
considered a border run or a visa run and do I need to spend at least one night in another country?

With an proper visa, you should be able to come straight back in, but you do need to actually enter the other country and get and in & out stamp there (plus a visa if applicable)..  It's only the 30 day exempts they make more difficult (and even then only a few land crossings, so I've heard).  Make sure you check that they stamp you for the full 60days, since many of the land crossings are used to giving mostly 30 days only.

btw... terminology police!!.. You will be getting a new 60 day "permission to stay" at the border on entry to T/L.... It's NOT an extension.  (you get the 30day "extension" from a Thai immigration office)

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I didn't know that. So you can have limitless number of tourist visa per year?

2 hours ago, steve73 said:

btw... terminology police!!.. You will be getting a new 60 day "permission to stay" at the border on entry to T/L.... It's NOT an extension.  (you get the 30day "extension" from a Thai immigration office) thanks for clearing that up.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was able to get the 30-day extension visa at the immigration office last week. Quick question how many times can I do this with a multi-entry visa, in other words, could I continue to go to the immigration office every month and get the 30-day visa and pay the 1900B until my multi-entry visa expires in May or is there a limit? I know I would get a 60-day visa on re-entry by air but I just want to know what my options are, thanks!  

Archived