BANGKOK 18 February 2019 13:39
HawkinsChin

Finding a Lawyer for Civil Case in Chiang Mai

Sorry to say, but this is definitely criminal theft using fraudulent methods and it appears the police are showing lack of interest in your case although it is their duty to investigate and bring this man to book. No way is this a civil matter.

If you are no longer in Thailand it is going to be difficult bringing charges against this guy. Hiring a Thai lawyer would certainly help make the police get off their asses and arrest the guy, but this really should have been done while you were in Thailand.

You could still go ahead and hire a lawyer to file criminal charges, but this does not guarantee you will receive your money back or be able to claim back your legal fees.

I would never, ever do business dealings with anyone from facebook, especially sending money up front.

It`s a lesson learned and appears at this stage all you can do is put it down to experience.

I would NOT waste any more money trying to hire a lawyer to do the job of filing a criminal report for you.  They will most likely well overcharge you, drag it on and on with excuses of more things that need to be done and why they can’t accomplish a simple job, etc.  They 90 to 99 percent of the time are nearly criminals themselves committing theft by fraud all day long.

Why don’t you contact the law enforcement organization listed in the news article you posted?  Or try to contact the news writer of the article who should speak English [and ask for a contact] ...maybe he or she will write your story ...bring it to someone with power?  You need to be added to the list of people who were defrauded.  The Chinese embassy seems to be somewhat aggressive with representing their people who get scammed here, that is what we hear anyway ...you might want to show this to someone who might call the right person on your behalf?

Now you have this article you can also try to go back to Chiang Mai police but might be difficult over the phone?  I would think that if you know any person here with a little power, they could represent you at the police station.  They don’t need to be a lawyer.  Half the lawyers in town are not even real lawyers. A good criminal with good contacts at the police station could get this job done in a flash and I’m not joking !!!  So try to think outside the box I guess.  Business owners usually pay police and have contacts there and can ask favors.  Know any??

Sorry that happened to you!!  This person might be well connected otherwise why would he do that so openly to so many people?  And why not just do the business that seemed to be working and make a profit instead of stealing it all?  Oh, because he CAN get away with stealing it all??  Maybe.  See what happens later.

Take a cheap flight over and ask your Thai friends to assist you and come with you to the police station along with all of your documents and the newspaper article. For Internet crimes, you need to go to the police station on Huay Kaew up by the zoo.

Even a criminal case may lead to disappointment - to be honest. If the bank account used to transfer the money to belonged to an accomplice and i's in another Changwat, then the police will tell you that is the first big hurdle to get past, if at all.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:24 AM, CharlieH said:

As was said to me by a lawyer here once, dont waste your money chasing it, apart from the expense, the time involved over a long period, they will disperse any assets amongst family and appear to have nothing, so whilst you may get judgement, you wont get anything else and will never collect.

Move on, let it go.

Thais like to buy homes.. If he has a house even with a mortgage you can have a claim laid against it. 

Very simple to find out if he has visible assets prior to going via a court process.. However 180k THB isnt enough to drive this, +- 25 - 35 for the asset checking work and +- 25 for a court claim. 

However the threat of it might be enough to get some money paid. Thais a quite easy to track, due to ID card, house registrations, etc etc. 

Could the OP send me the name of the wedding planner in a private message please. Or has he changed his name again?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Could the OP send me the name of the wedding planner in a private message please. Or has he changed his name again?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Just private message the information to you.

Edited by HawkinsChin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, HawkinsChin said:

I feel now it is beyond the money. I feel it is a responsibility I cannot evade.

I don't know, it depends.  Is your marriage feeling pressure because you are mad all the time about this?  Are you mad about this in an unhealthy way?  Do you lose sleep?   (insert the basic questions).

This can take over your life, if you let it.  

I get it, I might do the same and get super mad and then more mad, and email the creator of the galaxy for justice!!!!  But remember this could go on for years, maybe the guy has no money (hidden, given away, or other people get paid before you), and after 100-years of this you might go crazy.