UK hire what driving licence to use

colinchaffers

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

IDP not required.

I agree with you the IDP is not required but not all car hire offices know this, i was in the UK in September and hired a car through Europcar and one office refused to accept my Thai five year licence though all the information is in English and Thai but when i went to another office of the same company they accepted the Thai licence straight away

On 1/2/2019 at 5:41 PM, colinchaffers said:

Yes its a 5 year full licence, If I use this I will need a International driving permit. IDP, anyone know the process?

You will not need an International driving licence if you are hiring a car with your Thai licence. I would suggest however that a quick call or email to the rental company so they can confirm the will accept your Thai licence, problem solved.

Your Thai licence is in English.

You don't need an IDP.

I've used my Thai licence in the uk many times.

As previously stated it saves getting points on your UK one.

I also check in advance how much deposit they need on my credit card, then leave just enough for them to hit it.

I then leave it virtually full, paying off the minimum for the next 3 months in case they try to hit me for any speed camera charges. ????

On 1/2/2019 at 7:40 PM, NanLaew said:

My experience with 6 rentals out of Aberdeen, London and Manchester is there is no mark-up for having a foreign license.

My experience on my first rental out of Manchester and (logically) offering my UKDL was a request for a back-up credit card to the one I planned using to pay for the rental. When I balked at this, she asked if I had a utility bill or a bank or credit card statement all of which have to be in the same name/address as the UKDL and the primary credit card. Since it was getting on for 11 P.M. and we were getting nowhere, she asked where I had flown in from and after saying Thailand, she said if I had a Thai (or other full, foreign license), I could get by with just the passport, Thai DL and credit card, no address matching required. After that wee epiphany, I was on the road in about 15 minutes.

Subsequent checks with car rental brokers and rental companies indicated that the extra proof palaver for a UKDL is standard practise. Somewhere in the last 3 years, they have tacked on the need to get the DVLA involved so they can check your UKDL for points. They cannot access the DVLA database unless you apply for a PIN from DVLA that you give to the rental clerk so they can check your (and only your) DL status.

Use the Thai DL.

On a recent visit I got a quote in my name with UK license and then again in my wife's name with Thai license and the price came up about 10% higher for my wife, that was Budget and Europcar. When I checked my name again with Thai license it came up the same as my wife.

You have to bear in mind there is a difference between online rates and desk rates. I went in one time to try and get a car straight away but they had nothing available. I asked if I could book for the following morning, she said no problem but it would be cheaper to go home and do it online.

Over the years I have only ever used my UK license and you are right it has become a lot more difficult, particularly since they got rid of the paper part of the license. I have not found the additional requirements a problem but could see it may be for many. I have only been the once since they dropped the paper and although I had the DVLA authorisation they didn't ask for it, even got a free upgrade, not just one level but two.

All things being considered I may consider using the Thai license next time even though it may cost a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently rented a car from AVIS at Heathrow using my 5y Thai license...no issues at all. I seem to recall researching this topic on various rental agencies websites and finding varying rules, so you may want to do that too...but as I said, I had no issues at AVIS.

What other documents did they want, like IDP?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Shall I tell them or will somebody else....there is no such thing as an International Driving LICENCE. The permit is merely a translation of your domestic licence, the Thai one is in English, so not needed in UK. Been there, done it.

That’s not correct Budget require a IDP people using non EU licenses. Not all of the Thai license is in English the address for example.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived