'I won' - Trump rebuffs criticism from incoming Senator Romney

webfact

'I won' - Trump rebuffs criticism from incoming Senator Romney

By Susan Heavey and Susan Cornwell

2019-01-02T142625Z_1_LYNXNPEF010NV_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-ROMNEY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Mitt Romney arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala (Met Gala) to celebrate the opening of “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination” in the Manhattan borough of New York, U.S., May 7, 2018. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump rebuffed sharp criticism from fellow Republican Mitt Romney on Wednesday, heaping scorn on the incoming senator in a sign of tensions to come in Washington even before a new Congress is officially sworn in.

Romney, who starts work on Thursday when members of the 2019-2020 Congress take office, suggested in a newspaper essay published on Tuesday that Trump had "caused dismay around the world" and said his presidency had "made a deep descent in December."

"On balance, his conduct over the past two years ... is evidence that the president has not risen to the mantle of the office," said Romney in the Washington Post essay, reprising a strong critique of Trump that he voiced during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Trump responded with a tweet on Wednesday, noting Romney's failed 2012 White House bid and also taking a shot at former Republican Senator Jeff Flake, who has just retired from Congress and who has been one of the few Republican lawmakers to be openly critical of the president.

"Here we go with Mitt Romney, but so fast! Question will be, is he a Flake? I hope not. Would much prefer that Mitt focus on Border Security and so many other things where he can be helpful. I won big, and he didn't. He should be happy for all Republicans. Be a TEAM player & WIN!" Trump wrote on Twitter.

Trump repeated this theme later during a cabinet meeting, saying he wished Romney could be more of a "team player."

The president, a businessman and television star with no prior government experience, caused deep divisions in the party when he won the Republican White House nomination and then the election in 2016, upending party orthodoxy on foreign policy, deficits and other issues and governing in sometimes turbulent style.

But public criticism from Republican lawmakers has been rare. It was unclear whether any other prominent members of the party would feel emboldened to criticise Trump ahead of his presumed 2020 re-election bid, or whether the president will face any serious challengers for the party's White House nomination.

'SOUR GRAPES'

Senator Rand Paul, a conservative Republican, took Romney to task on a conference call. "You'll find the vast majority (of Republican lawmakers) will wish he hadn't said it," said Paul.

Brushing aside the fact that Trump often personally attacks and insults other politicians, Paul said Romney's criticism of the president's character was a "big mistake" and an attempt by the new senator to present himself as "holier than thou."

"Some might say it's sour grapes at not having won the (presidential) post himself," said Paul. He added: "I don't think there's an appetite for a Romney run (for president) in the Republican Party."

Republican National Committee Chair Ronna McDaniel also criticized Romney, saying on Twitter his essay was an attack on Trump that was "disappointing and unproductive."

McDaniel is a niece of Romney. Seven years ago, Romney was the party's presidential nominee, running with Paul Ryan, who retired from Congress last month. Romney lost to then incumbent Democratic President Barack Obama.

Paul also took a run at the presidency. He dropped out early in 2016 from the Republican primary race that Trump won.

Representatives for Romney could not be immediately reached for comment on the tweets and remarks by Trump, Paul and McDaniel.

Romney and Trump traded barbs during the 2016 campaign, with Romney calling Trump a "fraud" and Trump slamming Romney's 2012 loss. The two later appeared to bury the hatchet, with Trump briefly considering Romney to be his secretary of state and endorsing Romney's 2018 run for the Senate.

But in Tuesday's essay, Romney wrote of Trump, "The appointment of senior persons of lesser experience, the abandonment of allies who fight beside us, and the president’s thoughtless claim that America has long been a 'sucker' in world affairs all defined his presidency down."

He promised to speak his mind in Washington, which will now feature a divided Congress as Republicans retain a majority in the Senate and Democrats take control of the House of Representatives, after Republicans lost their House majority in November's elections.

"I will speak out against significant statements or actions that are divisive, racist, sexist, anti-immigrant, dishonest or destructive to democratic institutions," Romney wrote.

(Additional reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Steve Orlofsky and Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-03

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Rand Paul, a conservative Republican, took Romney to task on a conference call. "You'll find the vast majority (of Republican lawmakers) will wish he hadn't said it," said Paul."

Whilst thinking "I wish I had the balls to say it" echoing the thoughts of many others.

I think the turning point has arrived. America is at the point where others, no matter what their political stripe, will start to speak out.

Ahh, love those words, "the beginning of the end".

It appears the Republican party is still the Trump party. Romney tried to float a trial balloon to see if Republicans were fed up with Trump yet and the Republican National Committee rebuked him. We also saw moves by a member of that committee to get the rules changed to prohibit a primary challenge to Trump by other Republicans in case any Republicans get any ideas. Meanwhile, Romney says he will not run against Trump in 2020.

Romney would probably be the ideal candidate for the Democrats. Maybe they should try to get him to switch sides? He would grab all the traditional Republicans, enough of the Trump base, and all the center-right Democrats, and would do a lot to roll back the damage to the country and world that Trump has caused.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Romney’s trying to get ahead of the curve.

Trump’s unchallenged abuse of the office of POTUS ends today.

The ‘checks and balances’ are back in play.

Yeah, there is a fair bit of that with the House now in Dems hands, but Romney, and probably mostly all normal Republicans, obviously have never changed their views on Trump, though going silent for party unity. But, the Republican party has really morphed into the Trump party, and unless the Mueller report is a thunderbolt, the Republican party is still the Trump party. Romney was trying to establish that there is still someone in the party with some balls to stand up to Trump.

4 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Romney is a sore loser who hopes to effectively challenge Trump in 2020.

Not a snowballs chance in Hell. 

Trump successfully sucked in a lot of voters who had high hopes (and he had a lot of illegitimate help to steal the election). But his game is up now. He had his chance and frigged it up. Time to step aside (willingly or otherwise) and let a rightful candidate take the office.

10 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Romney is a sore loser who hopes to effectively challenge Trump in 2020.

Not a snowballs chance in Hell. 

Don't about the sore loser but certainly all regular Republican candidates have a valid reason to feel stuned by  Individual #1 being their party leader. Unless the Mueller investigation presents a death blow, Trump appears to be safe in representing the best of the current Republican Party. I hope he does run. If the Democrats get their act together and nominate a viable progressive it will indeed be a fight for the soul of the USA.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"I will speak out against significant statements or actions that are divisive, racist, sexist, anti-immigrant, dishonest or destructive to democratic institutions," Romney wrote.

He is going to be a busy chap for the next couple of years then...

3 hours ago, webfact said:

"On balance, his conduct over the past two years ... is evidence that the president has not risen to the mantle of the office,"

He's dragging the mantle of the office down to his level, which is why anyone who has respect for the office should be appalled by the current incumbent.

Image result for trump degrading cartoon

Romney said what needed to be said, and I give him credit for it. With the stranglehold over the GOP that Trump has had until now, it takes guts to do so. But, I think since the congressional slaughter, combined with the 17 different federal and state investigations taking place on Trump, the control over his party is waning, and his influence is waning by the day. Plus, as Romney so wisely stated, December was the worst month thus far, in terms of credibility. The loss of Mattis was a devastating blow to Trump's legacy. The decision to withdraw from Syria quickly, was simply a Christmas gift to his buddies Erdogan and Putin. It made America less safe again, and was a blow to national security. Graham talked him back and bought a few more months, for our brave special forces to do the job they were supposed to do, and potentially avoid a slaughter of our once ally (the many time betrayed by America), the Kurds. For this reason, I consider Trump to be the most dangerous man in the world right now, and someone who does not have the interests of the American people at heart. Quite the opposite. He has shown repeatedly how he puts the interests of our adversaries, over the American people. 

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Romney said what needed to be said, and I give him credit for it. With the stranglehold over the GOP that Trump has had until now, it takes guts to do so. But, I think since the congressional slaughter, combined with the 17 different federal and state investigations taking place on Trump, the control over his party is waning, and his influence is waning by the day. Plus, as Romney so wisely stated, December was the worst month thus far, in terms of credibility. The loss of Mattis was a devastating blow to Trump's legacy. The decision to withdraw from Syria quickly, was simply a Christmas gift to his buddies Erdogan and Putin. It made America less safe again, and was a blow to national security. Graham talked him back and bought a few more months, for our brave special forces to do the job they were supposed to do, and potentially avoid a slaughter of our once ally (the many time betrayed by America), the Kurds. For this reason, I consider Trump to be the most dangerous man in the world right now, and someone who does not have the interests of the American people at heart. Quite the opposite. He has shown repeatedly how he puts the interests of our adversaries, over the American people. 

I concur with the majority of the above. Graham comes across to me as a sleazy snake oil salesman jumping into any bed that suits him at the time. A real opportunist soundbite politician that I wouldn't trust to walk my dog.

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

"abandonment of allies who fight beside us"

I missed this part, which allies have we abandoned? The UK is our only REAL ally and we'd assist them in any way we could.

Really... your only REAL ally?

well... I hopes your chickens turn into emus and kick your dunny door down! ????

How did a man-child with no intellectual curiosity, a record of misogyny, racism and stupidity, crap at business and an inability to speak, or respect the truth hijack the Republican party and bend it to his will?

Though, Trump is a disgusting human-being, he is but one man and I'm sure that he is blissfully unaware of any of his faults. The Republican party is full of, I'm sure, intelligent people that used to have principles.

How did Trump get them to dump these principles (free trade, fiscal conservatism) and turn them into slavish Trump worshipers?

As much as Trump disgusts me, the Republican party disgusts me more.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Waiting for impeachment this month. Notice how the employed family in the WH have disappeared as Mueller is safe to bring down some information with Dems in charge.

2 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

Waiting for impeachment this month. Notice how the employed family in the WH have disappeared as Mueller is safe to bring down some information with Dems in charge.

Yeah, we will have to wait until February to be sure though probably. That is one of the reason I came back to chat on this forum after two years away is I could smell blood...Trump's blood.

Archived