Change of Address on Driving License and apply for International Driving License

Lammbock

Hi,

My "Thai" driving license still shows my old address and now I want to change it to my new address. I got the certified letter of residence from Immigration + passport and visa copies. 

Additional info: My license is due to expire on April 11, 2019 after the second 5 year renewal. 

I have 4 questions.

1. Do I need the medical certificate to change the address? 

2. Since my current NON-IMMI Visa is only valid for 90 days + got the Multi entry stamp it will expire on January 20th. Will I be able to apply for the International Thai Driving License which suppose to be valid for 1 year only?

3. I have a flight out on January 8th and I am not due to return to Thailand before the expire date (Apr. 11) of my driving license, if I decide to renew my driving license will I be able to do it before my flight? 

4. If number 3 is not possible how much time after the expire date do I have to renew the license for another 5 years without taking the test again? 

Thanks for your feedback. 

1) no and you don't need it for 5 year to 5 year either 

2) there are no Thai international licences, yes you can get an International Driving Permit as you have a 5 year licence. However it is only valid with a valid licence, if you licence expires the IDP is useless.

3)probably no, as it is usually 3 months before, but it will do no harm to take a Thai speaker and explain maybe you can renew early. Take your ticket out if you want to try

4) 1 year for no tests; between 1 and 3 theory test only more than 3 all tests

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

1) no and you don't need it for 5 year to 5 year either 

2) there are no Thai international licences, yes you can get an International Driving Permit as you have a 5 year licence. However it is only valid with a valid licence, if you licence expires the IDP is useless.

3)probably no, as it is usually 3 months before, but it will do no harm to take a Thai speaker and explain maybe you can renew early. Take your ticket out if you want to try

4) 1 year for no tests; between 1 and 3 theory test only more than 3 all tests

In addition, I would recommend the #4 route, so you get 5 years + till your next birthday.

Another question though, why change the address at all? I wouldn't bother and simply change with next renewal.

24 minutes ago, Morty T said:

My Thai license doesn't have my address on it and you cannot apply for an International license until 2 years after having your Thai license. 

Yes it does, on the back in Thai only.

You can never get an International license.

You can only get an IDP if you have a full (5year) licence

3 hours ago, moreem said:

Are you sure that all driving licenses have an address ?

Mine hasn't got an address on it either ,only has my old Passport number ,I will change that when I go for the next renewal in about 8 months.  ????

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Mine hasn't got an address on it either ,only has my old Passport number ,I will change that when I go for the next renewal in about 8 months.  ????

For those that are curious this is the back of the current version Thai drivers license.

How long have these been in circulation?

3019053A-D145-4C72-9428-02C2955DBB60.jpeg

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

The Passport number is on the front the address is on the back between the magnetic strip and the detail of if its for a car or MC. mine is in Thai only 

On 1/4/2019 at 12:05 PM, mrmicbkktxl said:

What does that mean?Since when there is any test necessary for thai driving license renewal?

I had to do the physical test, colours, perception and braking plus watching the 1 hour Thai video, to renew a 5 - 5 licence last month.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:07 AM, moreem said:

Are you sure that all driving licenses have an address ?

I do not remember this about my first One  years licence ( yes it was 1 year before ) but since that time all my 5 years licences had my address on the back.  It was written in Thai language but now on  the new license I saw  the address is now Thai and English.

Update/

Today I went to the Land Transport Department at MoChit

The sweet lady behind the information counter explained me that I can only renew my license for another 5 years after April 14th, after the Songkran holidays.

She explained me that it's in their computer system so only precisely 3 month in advance is possible. 

Then i asked the kind lady at the information counter if I could at least change my address on the back of the license and update my photo. Which she said yes to. 

But after visiting counter 17 an older officer lady told me I need the residence letter from the Embassy NOT from the immigration. Which was quite confusing to me. 

Then I went to the international driving license office on the 1st floor and they said I couldn't get the IDL due because my DL is due to expire in April and they also explained me that the document I got from the Immigration was not a real certificate of residence but rather a receipt that I have reported myself to the immigration.

Now I ask myself will this certificate of residence send to me by post? But perhaps this is a question for another section in this forum. 

In short, I couldn't get done anything today and will need to redo it once i return to Thailand in April. 

" But after visiting counter 17 an older officer lady told me I need the residence letter from the Embassy NOT from the immigration. " " hey also explained me that the document I got from the Immigration was not a real certificate of residence but rather a receipt that I have reported myself to the immigration. "

Certificate of residence from immigration is fine, but it has to be a real certificate of residence, not proof of address or 90 days reporting.

You can renew 90 days in advance, renew after it has expired and you get 5 years + till your next birthday.

Renewed my 2 year temporary license to 5 years yesterday.

Followed the information on forum smooth sailing.

- Passport and cooy

- Health Certidicate (weight,height,blood pressure,questions about existing or prior health issues)  80 baht

- Immigration:  proof of address? Two one each Car and Moto 

- House book blue that I’m registered living. 

First temporary 2 year license I got was in Kumphawapi nearest my

home. 

Took all the items above to Kumphawapi office and told I needed to go to Udon Thani branch which is KM further, Had to do with 

something on the letter from Immigration maybe it said Udon Thani.

Arrived Udon Thani second floor gave all the paperwork. Had to write full name and sign on a couple of papers. 

Pay fee fee I think it was total 750 for both moto and car.

Over to the testing area given the depth perception test only. Given

a remote control box two buttons red and green. Explained remote

How it works up back and stop. 

She told me look at the box (example pictured) asked if I see it? No. Put her hand in box. Yes I see your hand. Still didn’t see anything in the bid. 

Got up and took a look inside. Two upright sticks you need to go 

up and back and then stop one next to other. Ok went back standing I could see the sticks. You can’t stand must sit. 

Finally i I figured out what the test was and what to do. The confusion was I didn’t understand the test. Passed.

Over next stop picture then given both moto and car 5 years. 

In and out in 20 minutes. Very helpful and kind staff. Excellent!

34494403-C70B-423C-A709-E6E985DFD70A.jpeg

Archived