Samui "song thaew" driver agrees to pay foreigner's 6,000 baht hospital bill after fare "misunderstanding"

webfact

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, seahorse said:

The reporting leaves a lot to be desired as usual. 

First it says Mr Fagin went to the police and then it says that the police arrived at the scene. 

Which is it? 

And little detail of the 'misunderstanding', 800 each or 800 for the group? Was it ever established whether the students misunderstood? 

Perhaps there really was misunderstand and maybe, just maybe the driver was offering a fare of 800 for the group? Who knows?

Did the reporter try to get some clarity? 

Probably not, just write down whatever has been heard, no check for logic or correct details.

Poor reporting, as always.

Hmmm .... "Misunderstanding..."

I was thinking , possible  "Wet Road" as I started  reading.

The saffa appears to have come out of it better than the TT man anyway ...

What type of treatment for 6000B? Not saying it is expensive but rather the treatment for the injuries occurred from the group beating...

fellow taxi drivers - repressed anger? Instead of mediating and civil obedience, gladly and freely joined in...is this an example of biting the hand that feeds you?

will the other drivers receive a stern warning or does mai bpen rai just kicks in so it will happen again and again like road fatalities....

In 2002, was given a spring-loaded cosh scar on my forehead laughing at a taxi driver who wanted Baht 400 for a 200 metre trip.   Policeman wanted to put me, with blood running down my face, in the back of a police pick-up to drive me up Bangla Road, Patong Beach to the police station.   A more senior officer who appeared on the scene had more sense than to permit that.   

After statement, etc., they then took me to be cleaned up at the hospital.

Nothing ever came of it despite being able to give the car reg.

So this story is a good outcome thanks to the development of social media.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

And little detail of the 'misunderstanding', 800 each or 800 for the group? Was it ever established whether the students misunderstood? 

Perhaps there really was misunderstand and maybe, just maybe the driver was offering a fare of 800 for the group? Who knows?

Did the reporter try to get some clarity? 

Probably not, just write down whatever has been heard, no check for logic or correct details.

Poor reporting, as always.

I think it's almost impossible that it was a misunderstanding. Samui taxi mafia doesn't play around.... Specially not on New year's .. 

Archived