Samui "song thaew" driver agrees to pay foreigner's 6,000 baht hospital bill after fare "misunderstanding"

webfact

Maybe be a good idea for set price from here to there, and have a bill board where all taxi is waiting, people don’t have to ask the price then, if they don’t like the price, no nead to get in conversation. Better still why do the police not make the taxi use the meter, saves any problem, do the taxi people not realise if they used the meter more people would use the taxi.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my way to early Golf I saw a large group of Farangs who were concerned about the workings of the ATM machine. I drove to station at Threpasit & Sukumviit to report what I considered a suspicious gathering. Irate at being awoken I was told to report to Police at Jomtien Beach. Again waking up officers was required to fill out statement. Meanwhile the gang of farangs an their Thai accomplish I'm sure had long gone. No more citizen concern from me.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

It is highly doubtful the tourists were lying about the fare. This kind of fleecing is so common on Samui. And the driver deserves whatever beating he got. It is all about face. And how do I feel about face, the single greatest form of human weakness there is?

Face is no doubt, the greatest form of weakness, a human can engage in. Many will say it is societal, cultural, etc. No matter. It is the absolute and complete lack of the ability to introspect, and look within for the source of any problem, shortcoming, conflict, or issue. It is the polar opposite of spirituality, and therefore an absolute scourge on Buddha, and all of the precepts he taught. By practicing face, you are denying your spiritual heritage. You are refusing to man up. To take responsibility for your actions. If a man or a woman cannot, and will not take responsibility for their actions, the problems they create, the mistakes they make, and the issues they involve themselves in, what are they? Are they still an adult? Are they a complete individual, if they allow themselves to be limited by such infinitely small social convention? 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. For those of us with high self esteem, we know who we are. What others think, what society thinks, what a guy or gal thinks, means less than zero.

Real men or women, simply own a situation, and take responsibility for their errors or mistakes. Small men, social deviants, or emotional adolescents deflect, obfuscate, attempt to confuse, and do everything in their power to deny that they made a mistake, or that they are responsible in any way, or on any level. They make up narratives about fake news, or alternative facts. Anything to avoid looking within, for the source of the problem. Anything.

But old Gautama was a farang, so what do you expect?

6 minutes ago, Gilda said:

Maybe be a good idea for set price from here to there, and have a bill board where all taxi is waiting, people don’t have to ask the price then, if they don’t like the price, no nead to get in conversation. Better still why do the police not make the taxi use the meter, saves any problem, do the taxi people not realise if they used the meter more people would use the taxi.

Ehm.. which planet are you typing from?

As someone who has lived on and off in Thailand for 20 years, I wouldn't go near any of the island ever ever again. This guy wanted to have a night on the town, but needed to get back by tuktuk. They will offer $18 per person. And as his mates are all there, no one is going to give the farang a fair price.

Plus, one a thai decides he is going to cheat you, that money is already his in his mind. Thus, he gets laughed at, and attacks. And if the thai women held him whilst the farang beat his face, I'll give everyone on the forum 5000 baht. That's the biggest piece of buffalo dung I ever heard. But lying to the police doesn't seem to be a crime in Thailand 

27 minutes ago, soistalker said:

As someone who has lived on and off in Thailand for 20 years, I wouldn't go near any of the island ever ever again. This guy wanted to have a night on the town, but needed to get back by tuktuk. They will offer $18 per person. And as his mates are all there, no one is going to give the farang a fair price.

Plus, one a thai decides he is going to cheat you, that money is already his in his mind. Thus, he gets laughed at, and attacks. And if the thai women held him whilst the farang beat his face, I'll give everyone on the forum 5000 baht. That's the biggest piece of buffalo dung I ever heard. But lying to the police doesn't seem to be a crime in Thailand 

How many kilometers is this trip?

Straight roads, lot of mountains???

38 minutes ago, Gilda said:

Do not attempt to use logic with Thai mentality

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

Mods: Why has this slur against Jewish people not been removed?

And why not ask: Why have the regular and numerous slurs against; Thai people, Brits, Aussies, Chinese, Muslim people etc., etc., not been removed?

In a way you can't really blame these taxi and songteaw and MC taxi drivers for fleecing foreigners. All over the country there are signs put up by the government at national parks and historical sites listing free entry, or a small fee, for Thais, then a whopping big fee for the foreigners. The monks do the same for entry to certain temples and cave temples. So when all these taxi drivers have a go at overcharging farang they don't think they're doing a bad thing, they think they're doing the correct thing. After all, they're just following the example set by their government and their religion.

1 hour ago, oldrunner said:

On my way to early Golf I saw a large group of Farangs who were concerned about the workings of the ATM machine. I drove to station at Threpasit & Sukumviit to report what I considered a suspicious gathering. Irate at being awoken I was told to report to Police at Jomtien Beach. Again waking up officers was required to fill out statement. Meanwhile the gang of farangs an their Thai accomplish I'm sure had long gone. No more citizen concern from me.

A group of "farangs" clustered around an ATM, eh?

I thought that was all they ever did in Thailand?

Samui was a Mafia Island 25 years ago and still is; will never change.

Although I was living mostly in Pattaya in all this years; with all the bad things going on in this town, I hardly encounter any danger; but I am a BIG peace loving fellow, and only occasionally getting Pi...d.

Anyway this kind of kindness for tourist you can find all around the world (and I traveled 80 countries so far) my advise is to enjoy your live and special your holidays. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Who cares what people think of you?

im often dressed in really  tatty  clothes as always doing something at the land.......some of  the  looks  on the Thais faces is priceless.

He was grateful his mates came to save him from the two thai girls who were holding him...

What a man. Most likely their dates got attacked by him and the girls tried to back him off

knowing he'd lost his head. But then the 'us against them'm young thai male mentality kicked-in

and they just started kicking the foreigner who MUST be wrong since;  'Farang Bah.' 

Different day, same merde de toro.

Oncemore again - for the Tourism Authority of Thailand:

The internet can be accessed worldwide and this story will make the round. Get your fellow countrymen to abide by the law, get the police to book the culprit and breathe down his neck properly. 
The hospital bill of B 6000 is one thing; Somchai has not learnt a lesson. Anywhere else he would be booked, license (if any at all) withdrawn and an official apology to the damaged parties. 

It amazes me how hopelessly stupid Khon Thai can be; after all it is their country and the customer has the choice. 

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

At the ripoff price of 800 baht a fare, the payment of the 6000 baht hospital bill is probably about half a days work. So a relatively cheap way for the driver to save face. 

no he lost face by paying it ,, guilty as charged ''

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that two Thai women then grabbed him by the arms so that the "farangs" could punch him. 

What Thai woman is going to grab and hold a Thai male so that "farangs" can punch him? Can't see this happening; very very unlikely.

Archived